• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

IronMike

First XI
Ilford exile, only minutes from Roots Hall' those
So yesterday I finally moved in to my house. Long time coming, only minutes from the ground yet no chance of attending today. Way too soon after moving in, with so much to do (said the mrs). No point even mentioning it to her (though I still did). New area, new life and 'new' local football team. As I was lugging stuff around I clearly heard "COME ON SOUTH-END, COME ON SOUTH-END" so assumed that was 1-0 but that could only have been the players coming out for the second half, as ten minutes later that roar made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Hats off, that was one bloody loud goal cheer. A great first taster. Can't wait to make my Roots Hall 'debut' on October 4th vs Morecambe. I'm a season ticket holder of 20 years at The Boleyn and certainly won't be one of those donning claret n blue that I've read about here. You just DON'T do that, wouldn't even cross my mind to. Deserves a slap actually. I didn't even do that down at the Orient as a youngen when we were away. (Though going there now would definitely constitute one). Hope to meet some of you for a pint or three before the Morecambe game. Where do you all drink?

you are ok for a hamster Mikey
thumbs%20up%20new%20aug%202010.gif

I'm from a west ham supporting family, my dad was too cheap to take me to Upton park and took me to roots hall instead, I fell in love and the rest is history. There are a few hammers that have us as a second team and it's not a problem as far as I'm concerned, they support us and want us to win whilst also supporting the club financially. Welcome mate

So yesterday I finally moved in to my house. Long time coming, only minutes from the ground yet no chance of attending today. Way too soon after moving in, with so much to do (said the mrs). No point even mentioning it to her (though I still did). New area, new life and 'new' local football team. As I was lugging stuff around I clearly heard "COME ON SOUTH-END, COME ON SOUTH-END" so assumed that was 1-0 but that could only have been the players coming out for the second half, as ten minutes later that roar made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Hats off, that was one bloody loud goal cheer. A great first taster. Can't wait to make my Roots Hall 'debut' on October 4th vs Morecambe. I'm a season ticket holder of 20 years at The Boleyn and certainly won't be one of those donning claret n blue that I've read about here. You just DON'T do that, wouldn't even cross my mind to. Deserves a slap actually. I didn't even do that down at the Orient as a youngen when we were away. (Though going there now would definitely constitute one). Hope to meet some of you for a pint or three before the Morecambe game. Where do you all drink?

Now THIS is the kind of West Ham fan I actually like! Welcome IronMike, you'll enjoy your visits to the Hall. While I wasn't keen on Brown when he was appointed he has certainly won me over with the style of football he has brought with him, it's made home games a joy to attend again. I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.

My Dad actually comes from a West Ham supporting family, when he married my Mum way back in 1979 he started going to Blues games with my Grandfather and Uncle and he's been a season-ticket holder at Roots Hall ever since. We'll make a Shrimper of you too don't you worry! :winking:

As for pre and/or post-match drinks most Shrimpers go to the Spread Eagle which is just a couple of doors down from the East Stand main entrance. It's just been refurbished and has always been a great place to sink a few on matchday with fellow Shrimpers. :thumbsup:

Now THIS is the kind of West Ham fan I actually like! Welcome IronMike, you'll enjoy your visits to the Hall. While I wasn't keen on Brown when he was appointed he has certainly won me over with the style of football he has brought with him, it's made home games a joy to attend again. I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.

My Dad actually comes from a West Ham supporting family, when he married my Mum way back in 1979 he started going to Blues games with my Grandfather and Uncle and he's been a season-ticket holder at Roots Hall ever since. We'll make a Shrimper of you too don't you worry! :winking:

As for pre and/or post-match drinks most Shrimpers go to the Spread Eagle which is just a couple of doors down from the East Stand main entrance. It's just been refurbished and has always been a great place to sink a few on matchday with fellow Shrimpers. :thumbsup:

Ditto all of the above sentiment.

There's also the Railway, and at the ground the Far Post and the Shrimpers Bar - both accessed from the main car park.

If you ever arrive late or leave early and you hear that roar from the ground then you know something's going on and I'm glad you've recognised the beauties of supporting a lower league team - long may that continue!

I would imagine you might have some schizophrenic feelings when the Hamsters come down for the pre-season friendly?

"Can't wait to make my Roots Hall 'debut' on October 4th vs Morecambe."

Me too, season debut at The Hall for me , my brother and nipper on his birthday, bring it on !!

Welcome aboard. The football is not always great but the fans are loyal and now the spread eagle has cheap lager it helps taking the sharp edges off.

I'm from the east London side of Essex and by rights should have been a hammer but love the intimacy of lower league football.

Much better seeing real clubs and fans every week than being an also ran in the premier league.

Welcome aboard. The football is not always great but the fans are loyal and now the spread eagle has cheap lager it helps taking the sharp edges off.

I'm from the east London side of Essex and by rights should have been a hammer but love the intimacy of lower league football.

Much better seeing real clubs and fans every week than being an also ran in the premier league.

He's used to that type of football already :smile:

I can tell you, i record the matches to DVD for officials, the media, BBC, SKY, etc and the audio levels went through the roof twice after the goals, they probably have to tone it down lol... oh and scoreboard stuff, if there are any requests or ideas for things , or specific scores elsewhere you would like to see on the scoreboard, ill see what we can do. Cant guarantee anything . You can PM me.

There's also the Railway, and at the ground the Far Post and the Shrimpers Bar - both accessed from the main car park.

If you ever arrive late or leave early and you hear that roar from the ground then you know something's going on and I'm glad you've recognised the beauties of supporting a lower league team - long may that continue!

Really? You want us to stay lower league?

I can tell you, i record the matches to DVD for officials, the media, BBC, SKY, etc and the audio levels went through the roof twice after the goals, they probably have to tone it down lol... oh and scoreboard stuff, if there are any requests or ideas for things , or specific scores elsewhere you would like to see on the scoreboard, ill see what we can do. Cant guarantee anything . You can PM me.

The cricket season is just ending so it won't be relevant for a while, but when they are playing could you please put up the cricket scores (Essex & England).

For those of us in the West Stand who have to suffer the impossible public address system there, could you please put up the winning draw ticket numbers.

So after three days here I was 'allowed' out for some me time tonight, not that she had much choice, Virgin not installed yet and we were away to Hull live on Sky. A short walk to The Plough, around 8mins, to my delight and relief (sorry) plenty of West Ham in there. Being quite a territorial Ilford lad, with the RH floodlights in sight, I felt rather embarrassed tbh. Though the barman assured me that as pub, they would always back SUFC, which is only right of course. Anyone go there pre or post match? Seems a proper football type pub.

Why stick to just one pub like teams,try a few as there are loads to keep you chirpy,in my day(10 years ago) the plough was a paddy pub but they all change.
Glad to hear you were amongst friends as its it makes a pub watching a game trip much nicer but do not be surprised if your heart leads you away from the scum over time and towards the good side.
I spent over 20 years following Southend and did the extra bits like supporters clubs and coaches and fanzines but like you i moved away and now follow with all my heart my local team and i think if the two ever met say in the european cup i may edge towards the not so mighty Berri.
I know you are a hamster at the moment but you may just may became a shrimper in a year or two.

Back