• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Rose Bowl

Southampton Shrimper

Team Eggheads
Planning permission has been granted to turn the Rose Bowl into a world-class cricket stadium and the first Model Test Match ground.

The plans may yet of course have to be sent to the Secretary of State for approval...:whistling:

Story

Any plans to sort out access to the ground? I was there for the England vs Sri Lanka Twenty20 game in 2006 and it took hours to get away from the place. Game finished about 10pm, we didn't get to a train station until about 11:30!

Not that I have seen. This is still the major issue for the ground, one obviously the owners are aware of and are making some efforts to try and resolve, but I can well imagine they'll get their lovely new stadium up and running first and worry about transport links later!

To my great shame I've still not been to the ground yet, but access should be really easy for me, as there's a direct bus to the ground from just round the corner from my house! :cool:

Not that I have seen. This is still the major issue for the ground, one obviously the owners are aware of and are making some efforts to try and resolve, but I can well imagine they'll get their lovely new stadium up and running first and worry about transport links later!

To my great shame I've still not been to the ground yet, but access should be really easy for me, as there's a direct bus to the ground from just round the corner from my house! :cool:

Well worth a visit. I'd advise getting along for a Twenty20 game some time this summer.

Well worth a visit. I'd advise getting along for a Twenty20 game some time this summer.

I shall definitely try. I do seem to say to myself every year, once the football season is over, let's try and find a game to watch at the Rose Bowl and never manage to do it! When I have given it some serious thought for one of the international games, they have always been on days that I can't do!!

Oh well, maybe this year will be the year!!

Any plans to sort out access to the ground? I was there for the England vs Sri Lanka Twenty20 game in 2006 and it took hours to get away from the place. Game finished about 10pm, we didn't get to a train station until about 11:30!

You can walk to Hedge End in about half-an-hour!

In all seriousness, it is something that I would imagine Hampshire are putting an awful lot of thought into, because some of the horror stories of people trying to get away have been ridiculous. That said, when I've been by car, we've parked in the village (once you get passed all the coned off areas), and haven't experienced that many difficulties - although that's been watching Essex and not international cricket, where the crowds are larger.

With the amount of money that's already been chucked at the Rose Bowl, the decision to award Sophia Gardens in Cardiff - at the time an undeveloped ground - an Ashes Test match in 2009 must still really rankle with Rod Bransgrove, the Hampshire chairman.

Back