• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The season that never was

Tommy2holes

Life President⭐
Obviously the 10 point deduction had a massive baring on this season.

We would be in the final play off spot now with a very healthy goal difference.

But how many games were the team forced to play with just 12 or 13 players available, some carrying knocks, some having to continually play 90 mins every week.

How many more points do you realistically think we would have got if this current side had started the season, embargo free and without the 10 deducted.

I'd like to think that there would have been 4 or 5 additional wins. That would have us sitting in second place.

The national League certainly hit us hard this year. Maybe they had to make an example that no club big or small can not pay bills etc.

The reality is, this is a season that never really was.

It's frustrating, the only saving grace is that Chesterfield would've still ****ed the league regardless and at best case we'd have the lottery of the play offs.

Hoping next season is the year we are ready to go and can get a clear run without any runaway leader (that isn't us anyway!)

Thanks to Ron we’ve had a few of these seasons over the years. But yes the 10 point deduction makes this one the most obvious. I would say 09/10, 19/20, 20/21 were also rendered competitive no shows due to Ron making us so hamstrung we stood no chance at all. At least unlike the others I’ve listed, this season it looks like we won’t be relegated. Will still be very costly though as he will have cost us a play off place at the very least.

Personally still think it will take a couple more years to get out of this league, amazing how results can turn around in this league though.
Go on a little run and you can go from Regs to Pros in no time.
Very proud of the players and management team this season, hasn't been easy and if we stay up we should celebrate like we have won the league, amazing achievement.
Just need that consistency and cut out these long losing runs.
Not been able to get to many games myself this season due to work commitments but I look at our fans and it makes me so proud to be a shrimper.
UTB.

I’ve talked this over with my solicitor and she doesn’t see how the 10 point deduction punishment is legally enforceable once ownership of the club changes hands. The deduction was there to punish the owner and no one else. Once the club has changed hands I’d like to see a prepared solicitors letter sent to the National League hierarchy requesting immediate removal of the deduction or face immediate action for loss of monies.

I’ve talked this over with my solicitor and she doesn’t see how the 10 point deduction punishment is legally enforceable once ownership of the club changes hands. The deduction was there to punish the owner and no one else. Once the club has changed hands I’d like to see a prepared solicitors letter sent to the National League hierarchy requesting immediate removal of the deduction or face immediate action for loss of monies.

You are forgetting one thing. The national league make up their own rules and aren't governed like the EFL and premier league.

Might as well just throw money in the bin than hire a solicitor.

I think the deduction was to punish the club not the owner. The legal separation of the two would, I suspect, make such a claim as you suggest unsustainable. Just my opinion. Others may have a different view, like you. Healthy debate is everything.

I can see why you selected your user name. Utter nonsense.

Ignoring that this is a load of rubbish, Ron Martin is still the owner

You are forgetting one thing. The national league make up their own rules and aren't governed like the EFL and premier league.

Might as well just throw money in the bin than hire a solicitor.
This isn't strictly true, the appeal was taken to the FA's appeals board and they concluded that the National League's actions are permissable within the rules already set out (although they did highlight that the rules should be better written than they are):

I don't think anyone would get near to Chesterfield this season

That does raise the question of how far off them we are right now. After years of misery, I'm sure we'd all love to have a season like theirs (or Wrexham/Notts County last season).

With no embargo, no point deduction and (surely by preseason) no Ron, what more do we need to close the gap to those teams that have smashed the league?

That does raise the question of how far off them we are right now. After years of misery, I'm sure we'd all love to have a season like theirs (or Wrexham/Notts County last season).

With no embargo, no point deduction and (surely by preseason) no Ron, what more do we need to close the gap to those teams that have smashed the league?

Chesterfield like Wrexham and Notts county last year aren't afraid of conceeding goals. The philosophy to getting out of this league is scoring lots of goals. Wrexham, Notts and now Chesterfield don't have the best defensive record. They do however, have the best offensive record.

We are probably 3 or 4 quality attacking. signings short of being able to have a season like chesterfields when next season gets underway.

You have to score your way out of this league.

If we play like we did in the 1st half on Tues ( apart from the 1st 5 mins ), with a couple more additions to the squad, we should be there or thereabouts?.

Back