• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The season that never was

Chesterfield like Wrexham and Notts county last year aren't afraid of conceeding goals. The philosophy to getting out of this league is scoring lots of goals. Wrexham, Notts and now Chesterfield don't have the best defensive record. They do however, have the best offensive record.

We are probably 3 or 4 quality attacking. signings short of being able to have a season like chesterfields when next season gets underway.

You have to score your way out of this league.
Chesterfield really has blown away the competition. They do have a strong budget for players, but seem to have reduced the squad size and balanced youth and experience. In other words, Cook et al have focused on developing a well managed club. Get the sale completed and we'll have a team and club ready to move us through the leagues. Feast and famine not an option.

I’ve talked this over with my solicitor and she doesn’t see how the 10 point deduction punishment is legally enforceable once ownership of the club changes hands. The deduction was there to punish the owner and no one else. Once the club has changed hands I’d like to see a prepared solicitors letter sent to the National League hierarchy requesting immediate removal of the deduction or face immediate action for loss of monies.
Personally I think we're lucky we were allowed to start the season. That and the points deduction could of been worse. I'm just glad we can put that episode of that disgusting human behind us soon and move forward.

We go again next season and expectation will naturally be higher without the past restrictions.

Chesterfield, Wrexham and Notts County the last two seasons have been different gravy. Hopefully next season be more of a level playing field and without any more hiccups we should be aiming for top 6 easily.

That does raise the question of how far off them we are right now. After years of misery, I'm sure we'd all love to have a season like theirs (or Wrexham/Notts County last season).

With no embargo, no point deduction and (surely by preseason) no Ron, what more do we need to close the gap to those teams that have smashed the league?
I think we're not that far away on the pitch, but things like running water at the training ground, GPS vests and other non-matchday things being functional it going to make a massive difference.

Chesterfield like Wrexham and Notts county last year aren't afraid of conceeding goals. The philosophy to getting out of this league is scoring lots of goals. Wrexham, Notts and now Chesterfield don't have the best defensive record. They do however, have the best offensive record.

We are probably 3 or 4 quality attacking. signings short of being able to have a season like chesterfields when next season gets underway.

You have to score your way out of this league.
The last few seasons have proven this correct, but I think a miserly defence could also win this league. Unfortunately most seasons in this league have 2 teams ****ing it up at the top, this one aside. Torquay got done at the death a few years back. look at them now..

Maybe with the large gap in quality from the top 8 to the bottom 8 means you do need to smash 3 in a game rather than rely on 1-0's as you cant afford the fluke goals and comedy defensive mistakes that at more common down here

Le Kevolution has it's wheels turning, watch us fly. It'll go down to Rochdale at home !

@Shrimp and two veg Friday 21st April 1978. The last home game of the season under the Roots Hall floodlights:

Season 1977 - 78 League Division 4
Southend United 3 - 1 Rochdale
Scorers for Southend United: Goodwin, Morris, Parker D

Attendance: 11,253

Southend United secured 2nd place behind Watford to be promoted along with Swansea City and Brentford.

Just saying...
:Winking:

Back