• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The single greatest moment in your Blues lifetime?

DTS

The Business
What is the single greatest moment in your Blues supporting lifetime? A second when the joy supporting Southend gives you can never be eclippsed.

More me personally I think it was Juppys goal. I dont think anything has ever been as significant to me as that moment when he slammed the ball home and ran off with his arms aloft.

I recall having a big team hug with DoDtS my mate Dan and his son(Southends number one) Lucky Luca. It really was amazing to think we had done it after all the disapointment of the previous Cardiff visits.

I recall getting on the seat and going mental and Dad telling me to be careful as I had only come out of plaster that week but nothing was going to stop me going mental.

This moment is closely followed by the day Garry Cross turned pro.

Whats is everyone else single greatest Blues moment.

Same game, but for whatever reason, Freddy's goal that put us in front made me go even more berserk. I just didn't think we were going to score, and was sitting there almost in despair, dreading a penalty shootout. That goal was such a release of tension and emotion for me, I experienced a genuine 'out of body' moment, as I really didn't realise just how potty I'd gone.

Juppy's goal, Gray's goal to seal the title, Benji's Bury net and beating Fry are my other contenders.

Without a shadow of a doubt, it has to be walking out of the Hall after the Man U game and scrolling through my phonebook and subsequently ringing every Manc **** that i knew! Great feeling

promotion at bury, the celebrations were magical just wandering round the terrace hugging strangers just generally going mad

Actually that is a bloody good call. I was only 11 but I recall loads of randoms just picking me up and hugging me. Of course most of them are inside now but it was a greta day none the less.

Like DtS, it has to be Juppy's goal at Cardiff.

I'd been the last two visits and was dreading this game to be honest. I fully expected us to lose to Lincoln giants. Even at 1-0 up I was incredibly nervous.

When Eastwood picked the ball up in our half, mugged of one of the defenders and started running towards goal we all rose from our seats, then out of no where comes Juppy with a lung busting run. I was torn between shouting to pass to him, or telling him to shoot but Juppy finished superbly and I was hugging and kissing random people around me as well as my mates. It was brilliant, I had tears in my eyes as well.

There have been a few other moments that are up their like Freddy vs Man Utd, Clarke vs Chelsea, Gray vs Bristol City, but they haven't touched Juppy's goal yet.

Bury. No question. The whole day was bonkers from the moment we left Southend to the time they finally threw us out of the Shrimpers Club.

After 80 odd years of trying, we'd finally got into the second flight. And we did it with 10 men. The eruption from the stands when Benji's shot hit the bottom corner was something to behold. After that, no one really knew quite what to do. Random hugging, people walking around counting down the last few minutes, people scaling the fences in preparation.

We're a bit more used to winning big games for promotion, titles or cup matches now. This was our first time, and as everyone knows, the first time is always the best.

Bury. No question. The whole day was bonkers from the moment we left Southend to the time they finally threw us out of the Shrimpers Club.

After 80 odd years of trying, we'd finally got into the second flight. And we did it with 10 men. The eruption from the stands when Benji's shot hit the bottom corner was something to behold. After that, no one really knew quite what to do. Random hugging, people walking around counting down the last few minutes, people scaling the fences in preparation.

We're a bit more used to winning big games for promotion, titles or cup matches now. This was our first time, and as everyone knows, the first time is always the best.

clinching promotion the season before at peterboro was almost as good too

Beating Spurs 3-2 on the night, Lineker & Gazza included.

And Wayne Gray knocking in a late winner against Bristol City to seal the L1 title shortly after the whole ground had risen to applaud the Goat off the pitch in his final game.

Would probably also say the Man U game but wasn't there so can't really claim that one.

Stanley Victor Collymore dancing down the left wing, lifting the ball over Steve Potts, before squaring to Brettie Angell to sidefoot the ball into the roof of the net.

Take that you hamster scum.

Going mental after our first goal at Cardiff. After going there twice and not having scored the omens weren't looking good for this game either.

For me as to be Swansea away 2-2. I couldn't afford to go to Cardiff season before. 2-1 at half-time. Quite a few Southend fans with there heads in there hands. Second half Freddy makes it 2-2. Then some reports go round that Hartlepool have scored against Brentford, but takes a while to be confirmed, and no one wanted to believe after what happened away at Grimsby. Then when everyone knows we are going up. Cue mass celebrations. Final whistle and the Swansea fans want to get at us, not for a fight, but to say well done and congratulations

After much contemplation I've come up with an entire top10 in order...

1. Freddy's freekick hitting the back of the net v ManUre
2. Wayne Gray's title clinching goal v Bristol City, and subsequent celebrations on the pitch, Tilly singing etc.
3. Brett Angell's goal v the Wet Shambles.
4. Jupp's goal. I wasn't able to go but watched it in the pub with a couple of Southend supporting mates, and it was still ****ing special.
5. Shaun Goater's substitution v Bristol C. Spine-tingling.
6. Southend going 4-0 v Newcastle on NYD 1992 to go top of the second tier. To this day I'm sure I was dreaming it.
7. Beating Luton 2-1 on the last day of the 92-93 season thanks to Sussex & Angell. In the days when Fry was a god not a ****.
8. Chris Powell making his England debut.
9. Christophe's last minute equaliser against Col Ewe last season.
10. Last minute winner v Ipswich when we were 2nd Tier. (A quick look on sufcdb.co.uk tells me it must have been 95-96 with the goal from Mike Marsh)

Another vote for Juppy's goal - we'd had the euphoria with Freddy's but this one clinched it and in such a way too. Absolutely amazing, and couldn't have happened to a less likely player which I think, is what made it SO special.

Something everyone has forgotten.

Peter Daly v Colchester. Picked the ball up in his own half, charged forward. The Blue masses screaming "pass it", he unleashed an unstoppable shot into the top corner. Cue mentalness of magnificent proportions. It gave us a 2-0 win, and left them needing maximum points from their remaining games to avoid the drop to non-league obscurity - so effectively we relegated them.

They tried to charge us, we just stood and laughed.

Christ,i was a thirty something dad with my 10 year old so in tow,that great day,the emotions shown that day,by most was pretty special,and i new then,the young shrimper beside me was hooked forever.

Freddy's goal in the play-off final, no question. As anyone who had been at our LDV match only 6 weeks previously would testify, as soon as Wrexham scored against us in extra time, that was it. The players' legs went leaden, their belief ebbed away in an instant, the silence from our end was deafening. It was all over.

Fast forward six weeks - and taking in the bitter disappointment of trips to the Kassam and Blundell Park (two of my lowest points as a Shrimper) - and that's exactly what happened to Lincoln when Freddy scored. That was it; promotion in one fell swoop. Lincoln were done for.

Don't get me wrong - Juppy's goal was fantastic. It was the icing on the cake. But we were promoted when Freddy scored, of that I'm sure.

When the ball went in, I had a complete "white-out" for about five seconds. I couldn't actually see, such was the rush of emotion. I could only feel the pure sensation of YES. That was it. We were up.

Thanks at this point need to go to Mr. B and Ninja for making sure I didn't topple over the top tier of the MillStad in my exictement.

:)

Football, bloody hell, eh?!

Matt

Freddy's goal in the play-off final, no question. As anyone who had been at our LDV match only 6 weeks previously would testify, as soon as Wrexham scored against us in extra time, that was it. The players' legs went leaden, their belief ebbed away in an instant, the silence from our end was deafening. It was all over.

Fast forward six weeks - and taking in the bitter disappointment of trips to the Kassam and Blundell Park (two of my lowest points as a Shrimper) - and that's exactly what happened to Lincoln when Freddy scored. That was it; promotion in one fell swoop. Lincoln were done for.

Don't get me wrong - Juppy's goal was fantastic. It was the icing on the cake. But we were promoted when Freddy scored, of that I'm sure.

When the ball went in, I had a complete "white-out" for about five seconds. I couldn't actually see, such was the rush of emotion. I could only feel the pure sensation of YES. That was it. We were up.

Thanks at this point need to go to Mr. B and Ninja for making sure I didn't topple over the top tier of the MillStad in my exictement.

:)

Football, bloody hell, eh?!

Matt

Totally spot on Matt!

I was going so mad when that goal went in I nearly had an asthma attack and couldn't breathe properly for a few minutes!

Back