• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Things that used to be there but now are not.

Tommy2holes

Life President⭐
Always fascinates me when i see old pictures and think to myself " oh yeah i forgot that used to be there"

So i wondered what used to be there instead.

I'll give an example. The Halfords in westcliff used to be a cinema.

The homebase and curry's etc just as you come into town on the london road used to be a bus garage.

What used to be there?

Please feel free to post pictures if you have them

There used to be a massive plastic shrimp and shell maze outside C&A - now New Look.

Liquid Ray.

Big electronic advertising board by Vic circus......

Wasn't where the Odeon is now at the top of the high street some gardens type area.....

Not particularly old, but the old Odeon where the College is.
Never never land.

Where was that and whats there now?

Where HMV is, they "modernised" the whole thing in the 60's and put up all the concrete that is there now although recently refurbished. I lived in Napier Avenue, and the arcade was a great place to explore. The smells of ham, bacon, cheese, tea (sold loose) in tea chests were wonderful. There was a great sweet shop in there, and another shop that would sell you broken biscuits. And also later Bobins book shop.

Ooo I found a picture of the old tech college that is where the new Odeon is...

Essex,%20Southend-on-Sea,%20Technical%20School%20-%201280pix.jpg

The flower and fruit and veg stalls in the high street. Now just hight street outside burtons.

What happened to peter penny picker?

Ooo I found a picture of the old tech college that is where the new Odeon is...

Essex,%20Southend-on-Sea,%20Technical%20School%20-%201280pix.jpg

It pains me that they pull down great buildings and we end with monstrosity's like that yellow dominoe set they have just built in town or worse still vic ave and the delights of the civic centre and the old social security building and college.

The undergound bogs in the high street

I'm sure there were suggestions at the time that they were going to turn those into a bar! Classy.

Out of interest, when was a) The Royals opened b) the new odeon built c) the massive tesco's on the A127 built (and what was there?).

Back