• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Things you always wanted to know but were afraid to ask

* ORM *

Still Loves Emma Bunton. Roy McDonough is God!
Flying the flag for SUFC in Sai Kung, Hong Kong
I'll start having just landed back from a business trip to Tokyo. When you are getting off the plane and the hostesses say bye (usually insincerely) how are you supposed to react?

Why do inflammable and flammable have the same meaning (I actually googled the answer so I am now same rather than insane)

I'll start having just landed back from a business trip to Tokyo. When you are getting off the plane and the hostesses say bye (usually insincerely) how are you supposed to react?

Cheeky pinch of the arse, then hand them your number. Try it, tell me how you get on.

Why do inflammable and flammable have the same meaning (I actually googled the answer so I am now same rather than insane)

Surprisingly, both flammable and inflammable coexisted peacefully in English for hundreds of years before anyone decided to do something about it. Inflammable is the older of the two, with recorded use as far back as 1574. Flammable begins to appear in 1655, when Margaret Cavendish described oil as being “hot burning and flamable” in her Philosophical and Physical Opinions. One of the reasons there was little confusion about these words is that flammable was used much less often than inflammable.

But in the 1920s the eagle-eyed language guardians of the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) realized that many people were viewing the in- in inflammable as a negative prefix, and were at risk of consequently incinerating themselves at a much higher rate than was desirable. The NFPA advocated to have flammable used exclusively for warning labels (such as are found on mattresses, oil cans, and other things that will catch on fire if you put a match to them), and managed to slightly nudge our language toward a more sensible path. Though in the recent past flammable is used more often than inflammable, this pair still incites controversy—and laughter.

Why do customer help desks always finish off by asking me if there is anything else they can help me with today when they haven't helped me at all in the first place?

Do customers really care when they ask taxi drivers if they have been busy or when they finish?

Why is it when I stand in a super market queue the old lady in front of me always seems to break wind and fill the air with an unpleasant smell .

Do customers really care when they ask taxi drivers if they have been busy or when they finish?
Because if he tells me he is knackered and at the end of a 12 hour shift and I then realise the window is open to help him stay awake I an then more likely to stay awake and have a chat to increase my chances of getting home safely

Last edited:
Because if he tells me he is knackered and at the end of a 12 hour shift and I then realise the window is open to help him stay awake Ian then more likely to stay awake and have a chat to increase my chances of getting home safely
No taxi driver will say they have been busy and are just finishing a long shift as we don't want to get mugged.

"Why do inflammable and flammable have the same meaning (I actually googled the answer so I am now same rather than insane)"

A joint can be inflamed (knee, not cannabis!) without catching fire. Yes, it is confusing.

Back