• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
Wycombe at Southend: (720)

Portsmouth at Accrington: (624)

York at Wimbledon: (442)

Northampton at Plymouth: (320)

Oxford at Bury: (316)

Cambridge at Shrewsbury: (298)

Mansfield at Cheltenham: (283)

Newport at Stevenage: (228)

Burton at Hartlepool: (170)

Exeter at Carlisle: (154)

Dag & Red at Tranmere: (136)

Morecambe at Luton: (94)

Now, I thought Pompey would be taking huge numbers to these smaller grounds.Obviously not.

Credit to York & Pompey. Although Portsmouth have always travelled in numbers, to take that amount to Accrington when they have nothing to play for, is a fantastic effort. How long would the journey be, 7 hrs?.

They are absolutely tin pot.

A lot of people slagging of Wycombe for being non-league on Saturday but 700 is a fair turnout for this division.

Absolutely tin pot or not, they are doing better than us at the moment and they also totally bolloxed us in the play-offs last year. Can't say as I have ever liked them but you have to give them begrudging credit for doing so well considering the small catchment area they have.

Carlisle away. Ah, the memories.

Went there in the 81-82 season in the days when Phil Esdaile used to organize a train carriage on the mainline BR service.

That match was held up at half-time after a torrential downpour and didn't finish until about 5:15. The train back to Euston was 5:30, so the sprint was on. Not easy after drinking heavily all day!

We lost 3-2 as well.

Never been back.

travel

I was at that trip to Carlisle only came down from Scotland after gary levy, thommo and fitchy picked me up, is phil easdale still going about

Last edited:
Not sure if he is.

Thommo & Gary Levy, legends.

Guess you know about Fitchy.

I'll PM you.

I was at that trip to Carlisle only came down from Scotland after gary levy, thommo and fitchy picked me up, is phil easdale still going about

Still going strong thanks Keith, east stand red's for home games, although its only half a dozen away games a season nowdays!

That Carlisle away game is one I remember well, I had been to Oslo to see England lose 2-1 to Norway (the "Maggie Thatcher your boys took a hell of a beating" match) along eight other blues fan's, it was over 33 years ago but I think the other eight were Tommo, Gary Levy, Fitchy (RIP), Nobbler, both Ray Davey's, Steve Beard and Dickie Worthington, we had only got home the Friday evening so a 5 am start on the Saturday was all we needed!

After the match we were on the train home that the team were booked on and I was approached asking when we wanted to sit down to our paid for meal by the train steward, I did explain that the team would be on the train behind due to the late finnish but it did not stop Dickie Worthington going for what he thought would be a free meal, only to have the same steward coming back to demand payment later on!

On the subject of away support, may I offer one from the past:

Monday 21st February 1977 - Darlington v Southend - away fans 5 (five)!

Back