• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Those Sunderland visits

AndyT

Lord of the Reedy River
We haven't done this for a while, so here's my effort :-

1st October 1994 - Sunderland 0-1 Southend United

I've only been the once and this one was the last of the four successive wins at Roker Park.

We got stuck in horrendous traffic on the A1 and then couldn't park anywhere, so missed the first 15 minutes or so. We entered the away section, a tiny corner of the open terrace, and the first move we saw, Grids slipped a through ball into the path of Thommo, who coolly finished to send us 100 or so into raptures!

Little did we know that, despite the Roker Roar, Sunderland couldn't break us down and we held on for the win.

The stadium had a real air of history about it. Almost untouched from it's heyday and very daunting. I could imagine it packed to the rafters during their great cup run of '73 and before that. Seems a shame it's no longer there. I guess it's houses now.

Anyway, we made a weekend of it and stopped in the Peak District, only for the Sunday to be a washout, resulting in a trip to see Stan The Man playing for Nottm Forest against QPR in the days when both sides populated the Premier League.

Still, it was a good weekend.

Last edited:
The stadium had a real air of history about it. Almost untouched from it's heyday and very daunting. I could imagine it packed to the rafters during their great cup run of '73 and before that. Seems a shame it's no longer there. I guess it's houses now.

Indeed, it is a housing estate with roads such as Promotion Close, Turnstile Mews, Midfield Drive etc. Relegation Road and Sacking Street seem to have been overlooked.

We haven't done this for a while, so here's my effort :-

1st October 1994 - Sunderland 0-1 Southend United

I've only been the once and this one was the last of the four successive wins at Roker Park.

We got stuck in horrendous traffic on the A1 and then couldn't park anywhere, so missed the first 15 minutes or so. We entered the away section, a tiny corner of the open terrace, and the first move we saw, Grids slipped a through ball into the path of Thommo, who coolly finished to send us 100 or so into raptures!

Little did we know that, despite the Roker Roar, Sunderland couldn't break us down and we held on for the win.

Anyway, we made a weekend of it and stopped in the Peak District, only for the Sunday to be a washout, resulting in a trip to see Stan The Man playing for Nottm Forest against QPR in the days when both sides populated the Premier League.

Still, it was a good weekend.
Only went to Roker park once in 1991.I thought the ground was great so much character

I won't mention the 7-0 debacle under the stewardship of the late Richard Bate

I think Dick Bate had already been sacked by the time we played Sunderland that season. So Paul Clark must have been in charge?

This is correct. My memory of it - which I've tried to blot out - is that the game was in early November and Bate was sacked in late September, just before the 1st leg of the Derby game in the League Cup, or whatever it was called then. Possibly the Littlewoods Cup.

Andy. I know I'm a Sunderland fan, but I'd love to see those two great goals Stan Collymore scored against us that time you won 4-2 at our place, if you have them available?

Of course 'Vic Halom's Salon'. Here they are and aren't they something special! :Cool: :-

Aren't they just!

The second one put us 3-2 up with 11 minutes left. I'd say it's probably his best for us, given where the move starts.

Aren't they just!

The second one put us 3-2 up with 11 minutes left. I'd say it's probably his best for us, given where the move starts.
The YouTube video is actually from the Sunderland versus Nottingham Forest match/game, you can even see the Labatts sponsorship on the Forest shirts (they are also wearing light green shorts).

Blimey! .. What are the chances of that happening, eh!

Good spot. I thought it was our game The fact they are wearing the blue shirts we wore then and that the second goal made it 3-2 and it came up under the search Sunderland v Southend on youtube.

My mistake. Thanks, cerbera. I'll be calling in my Earls Hall Junior School research team first thing Monday morning for an explanation!

Still, great goals though.

Last edited:
Blimey! .. What are the chances of that happening, eh!

Good spot. I thought it was our game The fact they are wearing the blue shirts we wore then and that the second goal made it 3-2 and it came up under the search Sunderland v Southend on youtube.

My mistake. Thanks, cerbera. I'll be calling in my Earls Hall Junior School research team first thing Monday morning for an explanation!

Still, great goals though.
Never mind Andy, these things happen:Winking:

LOL :Smile: .. Not on my watch. Heads will roll!

Maybe it could go on the Nottingham Forest board! :Facepalm:

LOL :Smile: .. Not on my watch. Heads will roll!

Maybe it could go on the Nottingham Forest board! :Facepalm:
I've got to be honest, I thought it was SCP taking the throw-in for his second goal but it occurred to me just in time that the throw was on the right side. Doh.

Me too. I also thought that was Grids, helping the ball on for the second goal.

With a bit more thought, I should have realised it couldn't have been our game as we played them in April that year, so it wouldn't have been dark in the second half and also, though our away support is good, we wouldn't have had that many behind the goal that day.

Back