• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Three Years and Three Days ago 16 Aug 2016

LBBlue

Manager⭐
A paragraph in the Times report of yesterday's Sheffield United match refers to Chris Wilder's darkest hour - a 3-0 home defeat to Southend United -just 3 years and 3 days ago!

We of course had started the season in usual fashion with two 3-1 home defeats to Gillingham followed by a 2-0 defeat at Port Vale. The other SUFC had started with a defeat and 2 draws.

We off course had our secret weapon - Nile Ranger playing his first game since November 2014.

15 minutes gone and its 3-0 to the mighty shrimpers and another defeat for the Blades. They also lost their next game at Millwall. (Did they cry Wilder out ? )
Sadly Nile got crocked and went off after 24 minutes - not to reappear until October by which time we'd only won two more games and suffered two consecutive 4-0 away defeats. 12 points after 12 games.

Basham, O' Connell ( who og'd for our 1st) and Fleck were all playing in the Prem for the Blades yesterday with Billy Sharp on the bench.

We started Oxley, Demetriou, Barrett, Thompson, Coker, O'Neill, Leonard, McLaughlin, Cox and Ranger. Mooney, Atkinson and Williams cam off the bench.

Are they any better than what we have now?

It all picked up when Nile and Wordsworth got fit again and we dabbled with the play offs in the final game of the season.

What's happened since? - It seems a life time ago!
If only Nile could have kept his head straight!

However it shows just how quickly things can change in football.

Chris Wilder pound for pound is one of the best managers in Britain

LBBlue said:
We started Oxley, Demetriou, Barrett, Thompson, Coker, O'Neill, Leonard, McLaughlin, Cox and Ranger. Mooney, Atkinson and Williams cam off the bench.

Impressive to have won with just 10 men!

Other than Lenny, not many of that squad had better days ahead of them

Oxley - still here, dropped
Demetriou - still here, long term injured
Barrett - retired
Thompson - where is he now?
Coker - long term injured, without a club but expected to join Lincoln
O'Neill - at winless Wimbledon
Leonard - now in the Championship with Millwall (via Sheff Utd)
McLaughlin - still here, but probably for not much longer
Cox - still here, coming back from injury and not fully fit
Ranger - last seen HMP?
------
Mooney - dropped into non-league and I think has retired?
Atkinson - dropped into non-league I think
Williams - does he have a club?

I remember how good they looked the following season when they beat us 4-2 (I think it was) at Roots Hall.

Impressive to have won with just 10 men!

Other than Lenny, not many of that squad had better days ahead of them

Oxley - still here, dropped
Demetriou - still here, long term injured
Barrett - retired
Thompson - where is he now?
Coker - long term injured, without a club but expected to join Lincoln
O'Neill - at winless Wimbledon
Leonard - now in the Championship with Millwall (via Sheff Utd)
McLaughlin - still here, but probably for not much longer
Cox - still here, coming back from injury and not fully fit
Ranger - last seen HMP?
------
Mooney - dropped into non-league and I think has retired?
Atkinson - dropped into non-league I think
Williams - does he have a club?

I forgot Adam King - now Dundee United

Sorry to **** on your parade but Chris Wilder was an already excellent manager who had done well previously with other clubs. Bond hasn’t managed in England since Bournemouth back in 08.

I like the logic and hope you’re right but unfortunately I can’t see it.

Sorry to **** on your parade but Chris Wilder was an already excellent manager who had done well previously with other clubs. Bond hasn’t managed in England since Bournemouth back in 08.

I like the logic and hope you’re right but unfortunately I can’t see it.

This is memory lane - the only relevance to today is that 1 or 2 players can make all the difference to the fortunes of a side. (Or a change in manager- again! )

My facebook memory of this said something along the lines "what the **** am I watching".

Nile Ranger, he was the man. He absolutely bossed the Sheffield defence who didn't know what to do with him. He won everything and found a blue shirt every time. The best debut I'd seen since Stan (I missed Freddy before anyone gets picky). For 20 minutes (until he got injured) we were outstanding.

The fact that he threw it all away because he couldn't adult and stay out of trouble really grates.

My facebook memory of this said something along the lines "what the **** am I watching".

Nile Ranger, he was the man. He absolutely bossed the Sheffield defence who didn't know what to do with him. He won everything and found a blue shirt every time. The best debut I'd seen since Stan (I missed Freddy before anyone gets picky). For 20 minutes (until he got injured) we were outstanding.

The fact that he threw it all away because he couldn't adult and stay out of trouble really grates.

That's the only reason he was with us in the first place.

Back