• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tilson!

BaileytheQuitter

Spelling Guru
As I said in my BBC Essex text which I'm not sure if it was read out, no one can blame Tilson for bad performances/ bad results with the muppets he has to work with. He has very limited budget and has done his best but the players he has managed to attract just aren't good enough.

As I said in my BBC Essex text which I'm not sure if it was read out, no one can blame Tilson for bad performances/ bad results with the muppets he has to work with. He has very limited budget and has done his best but the players he has managed to attract just aren't good enough.

I doubt the message was read out, as already posted on here BBC Essex were for some reason devoting the whole post match time to the abandoned game between London based Daggenham & Redbridge/Daggenham/Ilford/Leytonstone/Leytonstone & Ilford/Redbridge Forest/Walthamstow Avenue FC v Exeter.

Last edited:
I doubt the message was read out, as already posted on here BBC Essex were for some reason devoting the whole post match time to the abandoned game between London based Daggenham [/B]& Redbridge/Daggenham/Ilford/Leytonstone/Leytonstone & Ilford/Redbridge Forest/Walthamstow Avenue FC v Exeter.

Last time I looked Dagenham was in Essex

Tilson has performed miracles for this club in his time here, and I don't advocate a change in Manager by any means, but as Manager, he is responsible for what happens out on the park and we, as fans, are entitled to criticise him when things are going as poorly as they are now. Nobody is immune to accountability.

I cannot claim to know exactly what happens behind closed doors at Roots Hall, but I am fairly certain that Tilly selects the players he would like to sign and then Ron tells him if we can afford them. We would like it to be the case that Ron gives Tilly a blank cheque every summer and every January but the Club has to live within its means. Sir Steve has been able to bring some excellent players to the club, but his latest selections seem to be more miss than hit. You could blame the scouts, you could blame Paul Brush, you could blame whoever you want, but as Manager, Tilly has to take final responsibility, and it is absurd to suggest otherwise.

Tilson has performed miracles for this club in his time here, and I don't advocate a change in Manager by any means, but as Manager, he is responsible for what happens out on the park and we, as fans, are entitled to criticise him when things are going as poorly as they are now. Nobody is immune to accountability.

I cannot claim to know exactly what happens behind closed doors at Roots Hall, but I am fairly certain that Tilly selects the players he would like to sign and then Ron tells him if we can afford them. We would like it to be the case that Ron gives Tilly a blank cheque every summer and every January but the Club has to live within its means. Sir Steve has been able to bring some excellent players to the club, but his latest selections seem to be more miss than hit. You could blame the scouts, you could blame Paul Brush, you could blame whoever you want, but as Manager, Tilly has to take final responsibility, and it is an absurd gait to suggest otherwise.

edited

It was Tilson's choice to bring the so called 'muppets', though I'm not sure that referring to them as such really helps.

Our average attendance is about 8,000 and that's probably in the top 8 in League 1. When we won L1, I think we were the 6th or 7th best attended club in the league.

Scunthorpe are 5th and had a home gate that was under 4,000 on Saturday. With regards budgets, I'd say we are in lot better position than most in this division.

Our average attendance is about 8,000 and that's probably in the top 8 in League 1. When we won L1, I think we were the 6th or 7th best attended club in the league.

Scunthorpe are 5th and had a home gate that was under 4,000 on Saturday. With regards budgets, I'd say we are in lot better position than most in this division.

If you're applying simplistic logic, then I'd be totally inclined to agree with you, but no such logic applies to Southend United - you should know that by now!

Average attendance does not always relate directly to budget, or for that matter success.

What would concern me more about our budget, or apparent lack of it, would be the revenue we have received from transfer of players, 3 appearances at the Millenium, TV money from the Championship and so on.

Is it a lack of funds or a lack of willingness to spend them?

i just get frustraited when he blames it all on luck, or not getting the rub of the green!

i just get frustraited when he blames it all on luck, or not getting the rub of the green!

I get frustrated when fans expect him to give a full match analysis, slag off players in public and potentially destroy their confidence, highlight our weaknesses for opponents and wash the club's dirty linen in public.

I get frustrated when fans expect him to give a full match analysis, slag off players in public and potentially destroy their confidence, highlight our weaknesses for opponents and wash the club's dirty linen in public.

why would he do that?

i think most people including me would like a realistic interview rather than blaming luck. imo yesterday had nothing to do with luck. thought we didn't deserve to win and possibly not to draw either.

**** poor performance if you ask me.

why would he do that?

i think most people including me would like a realistic interview rather than blaming luck. imo yesterday had nothing to do with luck. thought we didn't deserve to win and possibly not to draw either.

**** poor performance if you ask me.

If you saw the game why do you need Tilson to tell you it was **** poor?

If you're applying simplistic logic, then I'd be totally inclined to agree with you, but no such logic applies to Southend United - you should know that by now!

Average attendance does not always relate directly to budget, or for that matter success.

What would concern me more about our budget, or apparent lack of it, would be the revenue we have received from transfer of players, 3 appearances at the Millenium, TV money from the Championship and so on.

Is it a lack of funds or a lack of willingness to spend them?

You're right that money doesn't guarantee sucess as Forest and Leeds have struggled to get out of L1 has shown.

However, the original poster blames our lack of success on the lack of money, but we probably get twice the revenue of some clubs in the league in gate receipts, and probably more than 16 of the clubs.

Of the players brought into the squad in the summer, supposedly to improve the team, only Betsy, Mildenhall and Freedman (when fit) are regular starters.

If you saw the game why do you need Tilson to tell you it was **** poor?

He doesnt need to "tell" us YB. We could see for ourselves how poor we were at times against IMO a very poor side that created one very well worked clear chance and scored.
But it would be encouraging if he "admitted" it for once. And then added that he was going to address the issue in training on Monday. We dont need a witch hunt. We dont ask that he names the bad performers in public. We know who they were.
If he thinks that we played well but were unlucky then he was watching a different game. If he thinks that their goalie was in form then he was watching a different game. He made two parrys over the bar but was otherwise very suspect.
I personally would rather Tilly didnt do an interview at all than to talk rubbish.

Why should he do that when we've got plenty on here that are only too willing to do it on his behalf?

I don't think any of the team were too impressed with how things went on Saturday - I wish I was able to go Hartlepool to see what changes will have been made during training this week.

TILLY, HOW MUCH PATIENCE HAS HE GOT?...........I feel that this may be a new and different angle to take on talking of the trials and tribulations of our beloved manager.
Whilst Tilson may not be the most eloquent of speakers, I think his knowledge of the game is probably is larger than some people give him credit for. I think that, behind the, "We didn't have the luck" and "We didn't get the rub of the green", is an understanding of the shortcomings of his side and the improvements that are needed.
Following this weekend I detected the first signs of frustration with, "At the moment getting into the play-offs is difficult" and more importantly, "We have players coming in and out all the time". So, if Tilson finds, in January, that his aim of building a settled side is frustrated and that he is obliged to 'patch and match' until the end of the season....................Is there a point where he will actually feel that enough is enough?

TILLY, HOW MUCH PATIENCE HAS HE GOT?...........I feel that this may be a new and different angle to take on talking of the trials and tribulations of our beloved manager.
Whilst Tilson may not be the most eloquent of speakers, I think his knowledge of the game is probably is larger than some people give him credit for. I think that, behind the, "We didn't have the luck" and "We didn't get the rub of the green", is an understanding of the shortcomings of his side and the improvements that are needed.
Following this weekend I detected the first signs of frustration with, "At the moment getting into the play-offs is difficult" and more importantly, "We have players coming in and out all the time". So, if Tilson finds, in January, that his aim of building a settled side is frustrated and that he is obliged to 'patch and match' until the end of the season....................Is there a point where he will actually feel that enough is enough?

That is only true if you're assuming that the reason for the lack of quality in the squad is down to the chairman not providing the money as opposed to Tilly not wanting to spend it.

Just because money is there, it's not necessarily a given that the manager will spend it - Take Arsene Wenger for instance, he chooses not to splash heaps of money on superstars, rather he prefers to build and mould his own.

Tilly believes firmly in a close knit squad of players, of which I doubt he would tolerate any so called superstars in case it upsets the balance of the squad. I honstly believe there is money there to spend, I just think Tilly is perhaps is either not willing to spend it, or has a confidence problem.

When I say the latter, I refer to the fact that most of Tilly's excellent signins have come when little or no money was spent, with perhaps the exception of Nicky Bailey. A lot of money has been spent on players who have subsequently under performend, and I just wonder if Tilly thinks it's a lesser gamble when not a lot of money is trading hands - maybe that's why we have so many loan players? Is he wanting to see how a player will fit in before backing his judgement?

I honestly don't know the reasons - like everyone on here, I am just summising, but if it is a case of not being given the money, then yes, Tilly may well run out of patience - but there again, he is not stupid, and should he walk away from us, would he really have that many opportunities to be a manager in the Football League again?

Don't forget it's also highly possible that some of those Tilly may have wanted just haven't wanted to come here, as in the case of Rory Fallon. Why assume that anything is down to Ron not splashing the cash or Tilly not wanting to spend it? It was made quite clear at the AGM that Tilly will have money to spend in January, as I keep saying, let's wait and see - ok, it might be a bit bumpy over the next two games now but let's just sit tight and trust to the people that are paid to manage the team. They haven't let us down too badly in 5 years have they?

Back