• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question To All The Runners Out there: MK Half

Ricey

I’m a Mod, that’s unpossible⭐⭐
Staff member
http://www.mkhalf.co.uk/

Anyone taking part in the MK Half marathon? I am going to sign up for this one :) Its a month before my big one the Paris Marathon, so will be a good run up to it.

I'm doing the Sheffield half at the end of April. Starts and ends in the Don Valley stadium, and apparently is a fairly flat route

I don't know if I could hack a half marathon. Ricey how's the training going for the Paris marathon? Are you doing alot? The only one I have entered is the BUPA London 10k in May. I struggle to have time to train for something that small let alone a marathon!

I might aim to do a half marathon next year I think.

I would love to do a marathon, and I've said it's something I will do at some point, but I just find running SO boring. Despite my user name I'm pretty fit, but I just lose interest so quickly. Any tips for keeping it interesting?

I would love to do a marathon, and I've said it's something I will do at some point, but I just find running SO boring. Despite my user name I'm pretty fit, but I just lose interest so quickly. Any tips for keeping it interesting?

there are some good websites for plotting out routes, so keep it varied and maybe even drive out to somewhere so you can run a fresh route. i assume you live in southend, and running along the promenade is a godsend, it's flat, straight, wide and has no roads... plus it's reasonably scenic.

a few friends swear by running clubs, as it's a bit of a social and also helps push you. i think the best way is to have set goals and to stick by them... so book a race and then that is your goal. there are always going to be days/weeks when you might not run very far, but that's not a bad thing

also! i still don't find running particularly interesting, but I do like the feeling after a good run, and once you get past the painful 15-20mins at the beginning, i find i suddenly click into gear and can get some miles done. stick with it and hopefully you'll find that the running bug bites!

there are some good websites for plotting out routes, so keep it varied and maybe even drive out to somewhere so you can run a fresh route. i assume you live in southend, and running along the promenade is a godsend, it's flat, straight, wide and has no roads... plus it's reasonably scenic.

a few friends swear by running clubs, as it's a bit of a social and also helps push you. i think the best way is to have set goals and to stick by them... so book a race and then that is your goal. there are always going to be days/weeks when you might not run very far, but that's not a bad thing

Best piece of advice I can give is when you aren't feeling so good do that little bit more then you want to, and when you are feeling great do a little bit less then yo ucould.

For inspiration try reading "50 marathons in 50 days" by Dean Karnazes. It's about a bloke who did exactly that (in all 50 states of the US too!).

It's a fantastic read, with lots of tips for the beginner to advanced runner, along with the inspirational/motivational stuff thrown in. An incredible story.

I find using a heart rate monitor keeps me interested, as well as being able to manage the intensity. I have the Nike+ system for my ipod too which allows you to track distance and performance. Don't get the Nike shoes though as they are s**t - get a gadget to attach the chip to your laces of your decent trainers (ie Asics, Brooks etc)

Oh yeah and I live in Sydney where it's nice and warm and very pretty! That helps

I might give it a go then. I guess it's just a question of getting stuck in, isn't it?

I've used mapmyrun.co.uk for planning bike rides in the past, and I've found that a good site.

TBH Ricey, I wouldn't be wasting a sunday one month before a marathon on a Race

That and the following sunday should be your last long runs (20-23 Miles) before your reduction in leading up to the marathon mileage

Alltogh it was a good few years ago now, I ran the london one april having been training for a while at the Athletic club. the build up races recommended by the coach for those who had not done a marathon before were a half marathon in december and the essex 20 in late January. these days the Benfleet 15 is often used (it was a week or so ago) as although it is a tad short, its very tough.

what is your weekly mileage at the moment ?

http://www.mkhalf.co.uk/

Anyone taking part in the MK Half marathon? I am going to sign up for this one :) Its a month before my big one the Paris Marathon, so will be a good run up to it.

I've done no exercise, let alone running, since the 30th December. Bar about 5 days i've been ill since then. I'm finally feeling good again and intend to do 10K over the weekend. I doubt i'm even close to half marathons yet.

also! i still don't find running particularly interesting, but I do like the feeling after a good run, and once you get past the painful 15-20mins at the beginning, i find i suddenly click into gear and can get some miles done. stick with it and hopefully you'll find that the running bug bites!

My usual 10k route is slightly uphill for the first 2-3k. It really is a lung burster. But once you're over that initial pain barrier you feel you can keep going for ever because you get into a rythm.

I also find breaking the route down into smaller chunks and concentrating on that, and also trying to remember milestones and landmarks keeps the run interesting...

My usual 10k route is slightly uphill for the first 2-3k. It really is a lung burster. But once you're over that initial pain barrier you feel you can keep going for ever because you get into a rythm.

I also find breaking the route down into smaller chunks and concentrating on that, and also trying to remember milestones and landmarks keeps the run interesting...

yep that's exactly what i do. sheffield is pretty hilly and so for a normal 10k run i have 3 hills and 3 descents which break the run up nicely

Listen to an i-pod. It takes maybe 15 minutes to get into a rhythm but after that your concentrating on whatever it is you are listening to, rather than on the running.

Listen to an i-pod. It takes maybe 15 minutes to get into a rhythm but after that your concentrating on whatever it is you are listening to, rather than on the running.

Or Try and find a training partner.

Group runs are a lot better. leaving the house early on a sunday morning in **** weather was always made easier by knowing that if I didn't get down to the Seafront by 7 I would be letting people down.

once you are out there it gets better ....

TBH Ricey, I wouldn't be wasting a sunday one month before a marathon on a Race

That and the following sunday should be your last long runs (20-23 Miles) before your reduction in leading up to the marathon mileage

Alltogh it was a good few years ago now, I ran the london one april having been training for a while at the Athletic club. the build up races recommended by the coach for those who had not done a marathon before were a half marathon in december and the essex 20 in late January. these days the Benfleet 15 is often used (it was a week or so ago) as although it is a tad short, its very tough.

what is your weekly mileage at the moment ?

My weekly mileage is about 30/40 miles per week. Its not a massive amount but I am easy afterwards and could keep going. I ran 13 miles the other day and felt fine, I am pretty fit and go down to the gym all the time and eat quite a healthy diet so.... The half a month before shouldn't be a problem for me.

My weekly mileage is about 30/40 miles per week. Its not a massive amount but I am easy afterwards and could keep going. I ran 13 miles the other day and felt fine, I am pretty fit and go down to the gym all the time and eat quite a healthy diet so.... The half a month before shouldn't be a problem for me.

It will be a good break from your marathon training as you will be able to run at a quicker pace than your normal marathon pace. As for winding down a month before the marathon, this is not necessary. In 1984 i ran the chelmsford 1/2 in 1hr 21mins the week before the southend marathon which i completed in 3 hrs 18 mins. Like Firestorm, i used to run with several guys every sunday morning for anything between 13-20 miles, depending on whether we were training for 1/2 or full marathons. I ran 13 full marathons in the eighties and about 30 1/2's plus 10 and 15 milers with a few 10k's thrown in as well. Great times, but if you dont put the necessary mileage in then your body will let you know big time.

Blimey sounds like you were hardcore into it! I am not to sure what my time will be to be fair. I just love to run, it gives me such a rush and when I am doing it in competition the adrenaline that runs through your body is amazing. I would love to do it at a proffesional level but I think I am too old to start now.

Back