• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

To our non-attending fans (and exiles)...

Given that we were on Sky Sports last night, I thought it might be interesting to hear from some of those fans who, for whatever reason, haven't been able to attend many games this year, or even attend any of them.

If it was the first/one of the few times you've had the chance to watch the team this year, and all you've had to go on previously were the Virgin highlights and internet/paper reports, what did you think? Who caught the eye? Did anyone surprise you? And how would YOU rate our chances against Donny next week at their place?

Due to being at Uni in Leicester and not having much money, having Uni stuff to do and limited transport, the only game I have been able to get to this season was that utterly forgetful night at Nottingham Forest.

Last night, Francis really impressed me both defending and going forward. Walker also looked a nusiance.

My viewing experience was ruined by the bar refusing to have the sound of the game on as they had shelled out for a DJ for the evening. I was glad I got to see it though as I think some places were only showing the tennis (was it Murray?) and some rugby match.

Very tight game, with little given away by either side. We looked the best we've played since Carlisle (this being the 4th successive match I've got to see in some form or another). As I've said elsewhere the referee obviously had it in for Macca, I also didn't see that much wrong with Heffernan's headbutt as it didn't really connect but I guess he had to go as the intent was there. Thought Flavs was MotM (and there were a few "thank f**k for Shorty" texts emanating from my phone to certain other Exiles. Black didn't have as bad a game as he did at Tranmere, but why oh why did Tilly not put Robson-Kanu on instead of Red-Rum Revell?

Think it will be tight but we've got just as much chance of progressing as Donny have got. I seriously fancy our chances on the road in a one-off game, especially if we play as we did up at Carlisle, although it's a shame away goals don't count.

Hey Glasgow, hope you're well, take a peak at the football pull out in The Sun, if you can access a copy up there, and you might re-assess whether or not there was contact. Mulgrew was lucky his nose wasn't broken as the picture shows it flattened on his face by Heffernan's head.

Forced to watch the game on Sky, didn't finish till 5 and it's a 3hr 15 train journey from Eastbourne...

I thought in the first half we were excellent. Contained Donny very well and carved them open on occasions. Gower looked useful when he had the ball and Macca done his best to break up any play that Doncaster tried. Walker and Barney worked tirelessly for the cause and we were very solid at the back. Biggest disappointment for me was Bailey... Having spent the best part of 8 months telling my housemates he was the Football League Paul Scholes, he then made me look like a prick by going missing. Anonymous display in all honesty.

Was very impressed with Walker. Holds the ball up well and knows what to do with it. There was one passage of play just at the beginning of the second half which was brilliant... Barney recieved the ball, great touch and layed it through to Walker who shot narrowly wide... If it had gone in people would've raved about it for being such good, flowing football.

Black was the worst player on the pitch for me... Completely predictable and very lethargic... Franno done his best and he made our right side on his own. I thought Revell done well when he recieved the ball on the wide right, but it's not his position and it showed... Should've pushed Walker out wide and had Red Rum up front.

Hey Glasgow, hope you're well, take a peak at the football pull out in The Sun, if you can access a copy up there, and you might re-assess whether or not there was contact. Mulgrew was lucky his nose wasn't broken as the picture shows it flattened on his face by Heffernan's head.

Can't get the English football pull-out in the Currant Bun up here........(I'll leave that moan for another day!!!)

I'm not saying he didn't make contact as there was intent there, it's just he didn't "follow-through" a la Leon Clarke at Forest!

Can't get the English football pull-out in the Currant Bun up here........(I'll leave that moan for another day!!!)

I'm not saying he didn't make contact as there was intent there, it's just he didn't "follow-through" a la Leon Clarke at Forest!

And also Charlie Mac didn't act like a certain Aussie hard man at Wet Spam and throw himself to the floor. That was the only refreshing thing to come out of that incident.

SBH,

Having taken in only 6 live games this season and watching last nights game, I am very encouraged for Southend’s future if we can secure CCC status. I genuinely believe that we can beat Donny next week, but have this really bad feeling that it will go to pens.

I think that Barnard has been a fantasic signing for Southend and is one of the most natural goal scorers we have had since Freddy, although he was not firing on all 4 cylinders last night but his first touch is sublime.

Macca....when will he learn!! I thought i had an attitude.

Bailey for me had a fairly quiet game

Walker has an apt name as all he seemed to want to do last night was walk it in to the net. He was also slow in releasing the ball in the last third

Flavs did not have a lot to do to be fair but still our number 1 IMO

Gower was quite impressive, normaly i find with him that he has either a fantastic game or a nothing game, but last night he was more middle of the road.

Centre backs solid as ever, think that Bazza must have been watching "The hand of god goal" vidoe before the game!!

Francis was allowed to venture forward a lot more than most teams would have allowed due to Donny being so deeply camped in there own half, exemplified by the placed shot that he had, unfortunately it was down the keepers throat.

Mulgre was a rock, vision, strength and great passing through out the game and hats of for not going down like he had been shot with a 12 bore after being head butted....He would never make it in the Premiership!!!

Black....WTF was he doing on that pitch??

For me MOM was Francis.

Last edited:
thought Southend were excellent,but i have to say Donny were just as good. The defencefor me was the strongest part of there game,and they are going to need it up there. Away win mm not sure,but you have to say yes otherwise there is no point in going, sooo we will nick it 1 0, but not sure.

thought Southend were excellent,but i have to say Donny were just as good. The defencefor me was the strongest part of there game,and they are going to need it up there. Away win mm not sure,but you have to say yes otherwise there is no point in going, sooo we will nick it 1 0, but not sure.

I dont care how we get to Wemnbley.....long ball, nicking it.

Just really want to get there.

Back