• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

TOFFS shirts

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimperian @ Oct. 26 2005,16:54)]I am a little embarrassed by the story behind the change to the White/blue kit of 1980/81.  We had played in blue shirts with white shorts for the preceeding few years, with the Admiral kit in 1977 and Bukta versions of the same kit in 1978 and 1979.  However, in 1980 the Football League allowed shirt sponsorship for the first time.  the advertisement was limited to so many square inches, therefore the shorter the sponsors name the bigger the letters.  We signed a deal with Charterhouse Sports of Loughborough to supply our kit and be our sponsor.  Their own works team,Shepshed Charterhouse,played in the Southern League and a predecessor, Brush Sports had played Southend in the first round of the F A Cup before the war.  A number of shirt designs were offered to Southend and we were all set for an all blue kit, with a red and black away kit.  However, at the last minute, Portsmouth had rejected their kit and this was put on offer to Southend at a reduced price.  A white shirt with blue sleeves and a red away shirt with balck sleeves, thus became our kit for that year.  We kept our originally planned blue shorts and socks for the home kit, whilst the away number had black shorts and socks.  So we got Pompey's cast ofs, but it gave us the only championship we have ever had!
What a great story, although again shows SUFC administration sometimes borders on comedy over the years!

Quick, tell the kit manager to lay out the white shorts & red socks of our 3rd kit so we can reawaken that Pompey good luck!!!

Shrimperian, thanks for such a great answer.
I never had the cash to buy the Admiral kit and the Bukta was very itchy material.

Glasgowsufc, thanks for the navy confirmation.

This is when this site is useful and informative.

Thanks guys. i have so many little stories from behind the scenes at SUFC. Its nice to be able to relay a couple

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Oct. 26 2005,10:31)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimpergarry @ Oct. 26 2005,10:14)]One of the early 1970s kits is, I think, Dark Blue with a horizonal shrimp as a badge - I'd love to get Toffs to make one of these as I'm sure it would sell well.
I think the badge you are referring to is not a shrimp, but the word UNITED shaped like a boot.....
Sorry to correct you, but it was definitely a shrimp, worn during the 1972/73 season as shown by this picture in the 1973/74 year book (there's also a whole team photo in the centre pages showing them all wearing them.)

alanmoody1lh.png

PS My wife says I'm a sad anorak!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimpergarry @ Oct. 26 2005,22:41)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Oct. 26 2005,10:31)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimpergarry @ Oct. 26 2005,10:14)]One of the early 1970s kits is, I think, Dark Blue with a horizonal shrimp as a badge - I'd love to get Toffs to make one of these as I'm sure it would sell well.
I think the badge you are referring to is not a shrimp, but the word UNITED shaped like a boot.....
Sorry to correct you, but it was definitely a shrimp, worn during the 1972/73 season as shown by this picture in the 1973/74 year book (there's also a whole team photo in the centre pages showing them all wearing them.)

alanmoody1lh.png

PS My wife says I'm a sad anorak!
Fair call, Its better than that boot thing anyway

I didn't remember that badge at all...........

This was around the time that all the clubs were modernising their team badges, simplifying them as well, remember the LUFC thing Leeds did which looked like a smiley ?

I quite like that Shrimp badge, there must be a TOFFS shirt (Everton or Ipswich perhaps) that could be used as the basic shirt if we got them to originate that badge.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimperian @ Oct. 26 2005,19:28)]Thanks guys.  i have so many little stories from behind the scenes at SUFC.  Its nice to be able to relay a couple
I'm sure the vast majority of people on here would like to know more about these anecdotes that you have gained over the years.

A regular SZ feature perhaps?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Oct. 27 2005,14:05)]I quite like that Shrimp badge, there must be a TOFFS shirt (Everton or Ipswich perhaps) that could be used as the basic shirt if we got them to originate that badge.
I will be emailing TOFFS this evening to enquire about doing a proper sixties style shirt - will post on here as soon as I get a reply.

Watch this space...
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CI-City Blue @ Oct. 27 2005,14:21)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Oct. 27 2005,14:05)]I quite like that Shrimp badge, there must be a TOFFS shirt (Everton or Ipswich perhaps) that could be used as the basic shirt if we got them to originate that badge.
I will be emailing TOFFS this evening to enquire about doing a proper sixties style shirt - will post on here as soon as I get a reply.

Watch this space...
cool.gif
Beat you to it CI-City Blue.
Just emailed them 10 mins ago so if I get a response I'll post it!

Think we should have a vote on here as to the one we want recreated & then take it from there.

Options I can think of so far are :-
Late 80s Firholm/Spall shirt (diagonal shadow-stripes)
80/81 Championship shirt
Late 70s Bukta
Late 70s Admiral (like the England shirt of it's time)
Early 70s with Shrimp badge
Late 60s Navy shirt (as in the one the FA complained about)

Feel free to add others.........

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Oct. 27 2005,15:38)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (CI-City Blue @ Oct. 27 2005,14:21)]
[b said:

Watch this space...
cool.gif
Beat you to it CI-City Blue.
Just emailed them 10 mins ago so if I get a response I'll post it!

Think we should have a vote on here as to the one we want recreated & then take it from there.

Options I can think of so far are :-
Late 80s Firholm/Spall shirt (diagonal shadow-stripes)
80/81 Championship shirt
Late 70s Bukta
Late 70s Admiral (like the England shirt of it's time)
Early 70s with Shrimp badge
Late 60s Navy shirt (as in the one the FA complained about)

Feel free to add others.........
I would like the Championship shirt as I have a mid-60's and Firholm shirt already.

Shouldn't we have a poll on this though? I'm shooting off soon so I don't have time to do it.

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Oct. 27 2005,14:44)]I would like the Championship shirt as I have a mid-60's and Firholm shirt already.

Shouldn't we have a poll on this though? I'm shooting off soon so I don't have time to do it.

rock.gif
I don't mind doing a poll but I'm holding off until TOFFS come back to me with an idea of definite numbers for them to create a new shirt. It was 25 a couple of years ago when I asked so I'm just confirming things haven't changed.

Have emailed TOFFS with the following message - Glasgow SUFC - lets see what our responces will be...

Dear Sir/Madam,

I was wondering if you would consider producing a more
accurate 1960's style Southend United shirt, as the
one you have for sale was only used in the 1969/1970
season. This would be done easily, as you would only
need the Scotland 1970's shirt (ref 3069)with badge
from Southend 1906's shirt (ref 1211).

A number of my fellow supporters on the website
"Shrimperzone" have indicated that they would purchase
one - how many orders would you require to seriously
consider my request?

Many thanks for your time in reading this, and I look
forward to receiving your reply.

Thanks and regards,

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CI-City Blue @ Oct. 29 2005,17:25)]This would be done easily, as you would only
That would be interesting... but why put a 1906 badge on a 1960's shirt?

rock.gif

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Oct. 29 2005,16:29)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (CI-City Blue @ Oct. 29 2005,17:25)]This would be done easily, as you would only

rock.gif

tounge.gif
Need to shoot off but....

yep...

Just got time to take the p%&s

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Oct. 29 2005,16:29)]
[b said:

rock.gif

tounge.gif
Bugger. Need to proof read emails...
wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CI-City Blue @ Oct. 29 2005,16:25)]Have emailed TOFFS with the following message - Glasgow SUFC - lets see what our responces will be...

Dear Sir/Madam,

season. This would be done easily, as you would only

consider my request?

Thanks and regards,
Good email,
Just checked & they said 600 for a brand new origination but 20 if they can adapt a shirt from existing.

This is the full email reply....

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The minimum will all depend on the design of the shirt, for example if the
design is a ghosted polyester, the minimums would be 600 but if it is a plain
cotton (from stock) we would consider doing a run of 20 for you. The prices
would decrease for quantity also.

Please come back to me as we are always interested in new designs and
affiliations.

___

John Parker, General Manager

T.O.F.F.S Co Ltd
P.O. Box 71, Gateshead, NE11 0UZ

So, Monday while at work I'll start a poll & see if we can get an agreement on the sort of shirt we want recreated. Does anybody have access to colour pics of the years we're speaking about, I only vaguely remember the Championship shirt from pics I've seen (& guess this will be too "original" for us to adapt from an exisitnig design?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Oct. 29 2005,18:39)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (CI-City Blue @ Oct. 29 2005,16:25)]Have emailed TOFFS with the following message - Glasgow SUFC - lets see what our responces will be...

Dear Sir/Madam,

season.  This would be done easily, as you would only

consider my request?

Thanks and regards,
Good email,
Just checked & they said 600 for a brand new origination but 20 if they can adapt a shirt from existing.

This is the full email reply....

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The minimum will all depend on the design of the shirt, for example if the
design is a ghosted polyester, the minimums would be 600 but if it is a plain
cotton (from stock) we would consider doing a run of 20 for you. The prices
would decrease for quantity also.

Please come back to me as we are always interested in new designs and
affiliations.

___

John Parker, General Manager

T.O.F.F.S Co Ltd
P.O. Box 71, Gateshead, NE11 0UZ

So, Monday while at work I'll start a poll & see if we can get an agreement on the sort of shirt we want recreated.  Does anybody have access to colour pics of the years we're speaking about, I only vaguely remember the Championship shirt from pics I've seen (& guess this will be too "original" for us to adapt from an exisitnig design?
So could my idea of the Scotland shirt with the Southend badge on it constitute an adaptation of an existing shirt?

Well, if we need 20 orders, then an XL for me, and a L for Tommytwoholes...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CI-City Blue @ Oct. 29 2005,18:52)]Well, if we need 20 orders, then an XL for me, and a L for Tommytwoholes...
Good works fellas. Make that three by the way!

Back