• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tom Hopper sold

Hopper signs for us Imps. 3.5 year contract which is rather long. Guess Appleton reckons he is worth that lengthy contract. Read a bit about him on here, do you guys think he is a decent enough player for the 100-150k rumoured fee?

You have got a bargain.

Hopper signs for us Imps. 3.5 year contract which is rather long. Guess Appleton reckons he is worth that lengthy contract. Read a bit about him on here, do you guys think he is a decent enough player for the 100-150k rumoured fee?

I believe that he is a great player at Lg1 level and worth paying out for him, hopefully he stays injury free for you. I feel he'll be comfortable back up in Lincolnshire and will become a favourite with the Imps fans. I wish that we could have seen more of him.

If you can keep him fit he's worth the price, does a lot of hard work up front which brings other attackers into play and he knows where the net is as well (his goal ratio is low mainly due to the lack of service rather than being a poor reflection on him).

FFS! So frustrating to lose Hopper, when we never really got to see his full potential. Out of all the long term injuries last season I reckon he was the biggest loss. He will do well at Lincoln!

What’s the odds he scores on 1st Feb? we all know it will happen

Wouldn't be surprised if Ron is just going to use it to pay himself back for the 140k he made up for the wage shortfall in December

You have got a bargain.

The caveat being he would have been gone on a free at the end of the season- so with that in mind and given that we signed him on a free from Scunthorpe, the £150k is a good deal for both teams probably.

From the Lincoln City OS

Michael Appleton is delighted to welcome 26-year-old striker Tom Hopper to LNER Stadium on a three-and-a-half-year deal.

The Imps boss believes Lincoln have a signed a fantastic player who brings a lot of experience to the side.

“We have got a player who has come to the football club and is really hungry,” said Michael.

“He is at a fantastic age and he looks as fit and lean as I have ever seen him. He is desperate to do well. Tom is very experienced and strong mentally. He is a local lad, so he knows the football club really well, it did impress me when we met that he knew a lot about the club.”

Appleton continued by explaining what type of player the former Leicester City man is: “He is a player who is like an old-fashioned number nine, he doesn’t give the defenders a break, he closes them down and is prepared to run in behind.

“When we need someone to hold the ball up and bring the midfielders into play, he will be very good at that.

“We are trying to create a culture at the football club and Tom fits that bill perfectly. He has an understanding where the football club have been before and is obviously aware of the position we are in now.”

The City boss finished by looking forward to working with the striker, speaking about how he will play an important role over the next few years.

“I am sure he is looking forward to working with me, the staff and the players as much as we are looking forward to working with him,” said Michael.

“I think he is someone who can help us compete at the top end of the level, he will be important in helping us reach our goal of getting promoted. I’m not saying that will be done in the next 18 months, I have already put my neck out on the line to say it will happen in the next three and a half years.

"I am happy to say that because having players like Tom in the building will help me achieve that.”

Lincoln City OS

Tom Hopper.jpg

We are today delighted to announce the signing of striker Tom Hopper from Southend United.

The 26-year-old striker, who is from Lincolnshire, joins The Imps for an undisclosed fee after 18 months at Roots Hall and has put pen to paper on a deal at LNER Stadium until the summer of 2023.

Tom, joined his hometown club, Boston United as a teenager and made his bow for The Pilgrims as a substitute at the age of just 15 years old replacing former Imp, Spencer Weir-Daley. His introduction at such a young age still stands as a record at The Jakemans Stadium.

His form for Boston attracted the attention of Leicester City in 2011 and within a couple of months of heading to the King Power Stadium Tom was to make his debut for The Foxes in the Emirates FA Cup against Swindon Town. Tom joined Bury on loan in September 2012 and made 22 appearances for The Shakers, scoring three times then returned to his parent club before making appearances in the Carabao Cup and being an unused substitute in the Foxes opening two games of the 2014 Premier League season.

January 2015 brought a move back to his native Lincolnshire, as Tom joined Scunthorpe United on loan and made an immediate impact, netting on his debut against Walsall. In 12 appearances as a loanee at The Sands Venue Stadium he scored four goals which led to a permanent move to The Iron in the summer of 2015.

During a three-year stint as a member of Scunthorpe United’s squad, Tom gained a reputation as a goal scorer netting 23 goals in all competitions before leaving for Essex to join Southend United, scoring 10 times in 30 appearances (including substitute appearances) with three of those goals coming this season.

Tom has been allocated squad number 11. Welcome to LNER Stadium, Tom.

Lincoln City OS

Good luck Tom, wish you all the best - sorry that SUFC were not able to give you better service on the pitch.

I imagine we asked him if he would be interested to sign up to a new deal without the clause, he politely declined and we politely said we would have to sell him while we could get a fee.

I think it's the right deal for us. If we look at it from the Ron POV we would essentially be betting 150k on what I figure is a less than 5% chance of staying up. We would have to value the cost of relegation in the multiple millions to not sell him when we have the opportunity, and we would have to assume he would have a significant impact on the percentage chance on top of that.

Back