• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tonights Echo

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
Peter Taylor is considering Freddy for the U21's.

That would make him Southends first England international.

Will he play for the U21's? Peter Taylor said "We'll have to wait and see".

No wonder Ron wants to keep him. The price keeps going up...

If Lita played for the U21's whilst still a League One player I see no reason why Freddy shouldn't be considered. Great news!
smile.gif

Peter Taylor played for the full england side whilst in Division 3 (Now league one) , although by then he was at Palace.

Perhaps he remembers how it helped his progression ?

But if Freddy plays for England u21's we could lose him for some vital games!

Sorry for being selfish!

smile.gif

Didn't Steve Bull of Wolves play for England while in Div 4? Also back in the 60's Johnny Byrne played for England when he was at Palace.

surely the squad has already been selected for this coming fixture with france? the next game must be months away?!?

He can still play for U21's because

a) he turned 22 during the course of a season.

b) 2 players over 21 can be named in the U21 squad

The french games are playoffs so I would guess there will be some friendlies comping up to help Taylor pick his championship squad, (should we qualify) it may be at that point he will pick him.

Personally I would be worried if he did pick him. I don't feel he is of that standard yet and I think that Taylor will only put him in to get a better look at him prior to making a bid for him at Hull

I love a good conspiracy theory

Personally, as much as I rate Freddy I don't think he's ready for England U21.

I also don't want him to be called up because I want him to be nice and fresh for Southend games...
tounge.gif

I don't give a crap about the publicity, all I care about is Southend doing well... if a possible call-up for Freddy impedes our form then I would not be particularly happy about it...

Freddy is good enough for that level. He's better than Stead and at least as good (better imo) than Lita, both of whom are regulars in the U21 set-up.

Can't see it happening though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Nov. 08 2005,13:54)]Personally I would be worried if he did pick him. I don't feel he is of that standard yet and I think that Taylor will only put him in to get a better look at him prior to making a bid for him at Hull

I love a good conspiracy theory
Conspiracy theory it is, however one I agree with as well.

It could though work in our favour and if Freddy doesn't impress the big guns go away... He can then just continue to bang them in for us!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Whatever @ Nov. 08 2005,14:11)]I don't give a crap about the publicity, all I care about is Southend doing well... if a possible call-up for Freddy impedes our form then I would not be particularly happy about it...
ghostface.gif

Shouldn't we all be delighted FOR FREDDY if he gets a call-up rather than moaning about him not being as fresh for games? How often do the U21's play anyway, its not as if its gonna burn him out is it (unlikely to start anyway). It would be a great experience for Freddy to train and play with some extremely talented players and will help improve his game, not to mention the fact that U21 caps will see his value rocket when it is time for him to move on.

BTW there was never any chance of him being selected for France, its a massive tie and one which Taylor won't want to experiment in. If you look at the squad there's only 3 players outside the Premier$hite (and none from L1). Friendlies will be where Taylor will look at uncapped players, if Freddy continues his form he could well be one of them (and who knows maybe he'll be going to the U21 European Championship Finals next year!).

Back