• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tony Bentley, Peter Goy and Ron Poutney

Napster

No ⭐
Met the three above on Saturday.

Tony Bentley is an absolute star- had a good chat with him. A few things:

He's managing all the facilities in Kentsville, Nova Scotia where he lives
He flew to Cardiff to watch us play in the LDV Final
He still loves Southend (a great little club and great fans)
His toughest opponent was Don Rogers
His favourite manager was Ted Fenton, but they were all nice, apart from Alvin Williams who was a nutcase
His favourite position was right-back

Peter Goy told us a story about Lou Costello as well, about it being his ambition to drop his shorts in the middle of a match. He achieved it in one away game when the pitch was covered in fog and only a few people could see what he was doing.

Hard to judge, not having supported any other clubs, but seems to me we have a particularly good bunch of ex-players, who mostly still have a soft spot for the club and fans. Envy you, Napster.

I would love to chat to Terry Johnson and Billy Best sometime.

The Trust invited Peter & Tony into the Shrimpers for a pre match drink. Peter said that the old players would love to go in the Shrimpers before a match for a chat with the fans so we are thinking of going down that road.

Terry Johnson, mmm, he's in South Shields somewhere isn't he? We know where Besty is.

No promises but which old players would you like to chat to in the Shrimpers before a match?

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Met Tony Bentley and Peter Goy lots of times.Both were keen club cricketers and played for Southend Nomads CC.
Both were really genuine guys.Tony Bentley was just about the nicest unaffected bloke you could hope to meet and Peter Goy apart from being a really pleasant man and a brilliant goalkeeper was just about the best amateur referee I ever played under in all the 20 odd seasons I played in the Southend Comb.
No airs no graces.Top guys.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Nov. 10 2004,17:25)]Met the three above on Saturday.

His favourite manager was Ted Fenton, but they were all nice, apart from Alvin Williams who was a nutcase

Peter Goy told us a story about Lou Costello as well, about it being his ambition to drop his shorts in the middle of a match. He achieved it in one away game when the pitch was covered in fog and only a few people could see what he was doing.
I take it Ron Poutney was a complete and utter bore seeing as he's not got a mention whatsoever!

rock.gif

tounge.gif

On the contrary, Ron was very interesting to talk to. He had decided to bring his young boy to the game and I know for a fact that he paid his own way because I saw him buy his tickets in the shop on Friday. I may have even invited him to the Shrimpers, I can't remember!

Anyway he showed up in the Shrimpers before the game and had a chat with Peter and Tony. He had a chat with others including myself. I asked him to sign his Hall of Fame entry for the Trust and he was very surprised that he was in it! He read it and I asked if it was ok and he said that "it was lovely but there was one slight mistake , I never played for Dartford."  
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Nov. 11 2004,12:42)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Nov. 10 2004,17:25)]Met the three above on Saturday.

I take it Ron Poutney was a complete and utter bore seeing as he's not got a mention whatsoever!

rock.gif

tounge.gif
No, I never really got a chance to speak to him.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TerryintheWest @ Nov. 10 2004,18:45)]No promises but which old players would you like to chat to in the Shrimpers before a match?
Sada N'Diaye.

Regis Coulboult.

Keith Dublin.

Phil Gridelet.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TerryintheWest @ Nov. 11 2004,13:53)]On the contrary, Ron was very interesting to talk to. He had decided to bring his young boy to the game and I know for a fact that he paid his own way because I saw him buy his tickets in the shop on Friday. I may have even invited him to the Shrimpers, I can't remember!

Anyway he showed up in the Shrimpers before the game and had a chat with Peter and Tony. He had a chat with others including myself. I asked him to sign his Hall of Fame entry for the Trust and he was very surprised that he was in it! He read it and I asked if it was ok and he said that "it was lovely but there was one slight mistake , I never played for Dartford."  
sad.gif
Lives a few doors down from myself and chat to him frequently. Down to earth family man. These days doesn't go to the Hall all that often, but will always discuss the Blues! I think since his boy has grown up a bit, he might frequent the Hall a bit more though.

If you need any painting or decorating work, then spare a thought for Ron as its not an easy trade and then you can feel proud to support the ex-blues as well!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hawkwell Blue @ Nov. 11 2004,15:11)]I would have thought Ron PouNtney would have been more interesting to talk to.
biggrin.gif
Bog off!

mad.gif

tounge.gif

I have a faulty ' '.

Oh... see, it did it agai .

b******s!

Back