• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Transfer Rumours Thread (Potential New Signings)

Also I reckon someone like Murphy would be amazing for Matt Rush to be around and learn from
I'm still unsure on rush. Though at the same time I haven't seen rush play much...... I would still like sufc to sign couple more strikers (preferably young with potential). On Murphy he looks the sort of player who will definitely do job in the National league.

Why do I get the feeling that whoever we sign will end up getting slagged off by the usual suspects for being too old/too young/the wrong sort of signing/a crock/useless .. as soon as we lose a few? Players are always great before we sign them or after they leave us, just **** when they’re here. Some have got a high bar considering we’re a National League team. I trust PB to know what’s needed.

Why do I get the feeling that whoever we sign will end up getting slagged off by the usual suspects for being too old/too young/the wrong sort of signing/a crock/useless .. as soon as we lose a few? Players are always great before we sign them or after they leave us, just **** when they’re here. Some have got a high bar considering we’re a National League team. I trust PB to know what’s needed.

You realise that isn’t a Southend United or ShrimperZone thing. It’s a football thing! Happens at every single club around the country and I expect the world.

Players getting slated before they’ve even signed for us, this doesn’t bode well...
Judging by the comments on Twitter and his decent career stats, I’d be very happy if Rhys Murphy signs I must say. Much rather have these decent national league players than premiership youngster loans.

Big concern with murphy is the amount of clubs he had, given his record. Number of times he’s been released or not had contract renewed despite getting a lot of goals. Seems like a possible attitude or fitness problem?
Is it? Zlatan has moved around a bit too and no-one seems concerned about that

If Murphy keeps on with his good form he may hit as many NL goals as Akinola did the season before he signed for us.

Big concern with murphy is the amount of clubs he had, given his record. Number of times he’s been released or not had contract renewed despite getting a lot of goals. Seems like a possible attitude or fitness problem?

To be honest there will be something wrong with him. He's scored a goal every two games at National League level over the past two years, and got 28 in the NLS before that. Clearly if there were no issues with him, he'd no longer be a non-league striker.

Yeovil fans suggest a few fitness issues.

Is it? Zlatan has moved around a bit too and no-one seems concerned about that
Zlatan wasn’t released by Chelmsford City which does raise an eyebrow. Guess there are a number of harmless possibilities for that so have to give the guy a chance .... if it is even him we’re after. I’m also still resetting my benchmark for what constitutes a decent signing.

Zlatan wasn’t released by Chelmsford City which does raise an eyebrow. Guess there are a number of harmless possibilities for that so have to give the guy a chance .... if it is even him we’re after. I’m also still resetting my benchmark for what constitutes a decent signing.

How do you know he wasn’t released from Chelmsford because a) he knew of interest from clubs in higher leagues b) Chelmsford didn’t offer him what he wanted?

Its not as if he was released by City and fell even further down the pyramid. He was signed by Yeovil and has gone on to score nearly a goal every two games for them.

How do you know the circumstances behind his 'release' from Chelmsford? Have you read the story on the Chelmsford website?

Top goalscorer with 28 in 42 and a clean sweep of the end of season awards. How do you know he wasn't offered a contract? I can't for one second believe Chelmo didn't want to keep him given all the above. It says in the article that he was signed with the financial help of the supporters club. Perhaps those funds were no longer available and without them they simply couldn't afford him. He went straight from there to a club in the division above and scored 17 league goals for them.

If you do a bit of digging, you'll often find it's not as simple as "he got released by a National League South side so there must be something wrong".

Last edited:
How do you know he wasn’t released from Chelmsford because a) he knew of interest from clubs in higher leagues b) Chelmsford didn’t offer him what he wanted?

Its not as if he was released by City and fell even further down the pyramid. He was signed by Yeovil and has gone on to score nearly a goal every two games for them.
Which is what I said in my second sentence. I merely commented that when reading the CV it raised a question mark. I don't know the answer to the question and have an open mind.

Back