• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transformation of Fratton Park

Spoke to a guy who worked on that development and he said there is plenty they could do to improve roots hall as they have done at Portsmouth very similar 😀👍

I have a soft spot for Portsmouth.
like Southend, they are a proper club.

I have watched quite a few various utubes videos on the ground transformation, especially the safe standing transformation to their away end as this seems very similar, steps wise to our North stand.

I think Portsmouth / Fratton Park is a good model of what can be achieved when refurbishing an exiting old ground.

Excellent.
Was at uni (a superior technical college then) at Portsmouth in the sixties, and would go to Gratton Park most home games. They were in the second division.
The stand featured in the video was an open terrace then, with its shallow rake that Sherif talks about, and that’s where I’d be.
Thrilling to see what a great job they’ve done there.
I think the built section at Fratton has a bigger footprint than RH, though the overall site is about the same. Would be nice to see the old girl looking like that.

Likewise - I have spent some time in Portsmouth & made Fratton Park ground my home for a while. Great atmosphere & part of the city - not out on some faceless retail park (with their rubbish franchise eat & drink options around about).

Note the use of the word "ground" - for me Fratton Park is just like Roots Hall - it is a football ground and not a "stadium" [sad face] - that word should be reserved for the mainly souless new builds that exist.

There are many buildings that are given listed status - why not some of the old football grounds? They have stories, tradition & people's lives in their very foundations.

Likewise - I have spent some time in Portsmouth & made Fratton Park ground my home for a while. Great atmosphere & part of the city - not out on some faceless retail park (with their rubbish franchise eat & drink options around about).

Note the use of the word "ground" - for me Fratton Park is just like Roots Hall - it is a football ground and not a "stadium" [sad face] - that word should be reserved for the mainly souless new builds that exist.

There are many buildings that are given listed status - why not some of the old football grounds? They have stories, tradition & people's lives in their very foundations.
Spot on!

I thought that the "cottage" at Craven Cottage had been listed, but I may be wrong.

And, of course, the façade of the old Highbury stadium. (Arsenal's not Fleetwood's)

(* For anyone who cares I have just confirmed that "The Cottage and the Stevenage Road/Johnny Haynes Stand at Fulham are Grade II listed)

Last edited:

Interesting distinction between stadium and ground and not one I’ve considered before. What makes Roots Hall a ground and how would you define a ground?

I thought that the "cottage" at Craven Cottage had been listed, but I may be wrong.

And, of course, the façade of the old Highbury stadium. (Arsenal's not Fleetwood's)

(* For anyone who cares I have just confirmed that "The Cottage and the Stevenage Road/Johnny Haynes Stand at Fulham are Grade II listed)
You are quite right sir.

1 thing about roots hall I never quite understand is why the north bank is for away fans, even just house 100 away fans. Gives away fans presence they shouldn't have away from home. That needs to be addressed going forward ie put the away fans in the corner bit plus couple blocks in the west stand. Need Southend passionate fans behind the goal. Been to fratton Park couple of times, 1 of the best atmosphere iv been to for away day. Fair play to pompey even in there darker times they were still getting 16/17k week in league 2. Championship club all day long.

Last edited:
1 thing about roots hall I never quite understand is why the north bank is for away fans, even just house 100 away fans. Gives away fans presence they shouldn't have away from home. That needs to be addressed going forward ie put the away fans in the corner bit plus couple blocks in the west stand. Need Southend passionate fans behind the goal. Been to franton Park couple of times, 1 of the best atmosphere iv been to for away day. Fair play to pompey even in there darker times they were still getting 16/17k week in league 2. Championship club all day long.
It was a disgusting to take The North Bank away from the Southend supporters . A packed North Bank with singing and chanting is worth a goal start to the team .

It was a disgusting to take The North Bank away from the Southend supporters . A packed North Bank with singing and chanting is worth a goal start to the team .
Maybe once the new owners come in they can address this issue. Personally I feel the blue voice are wasted in the section they are currently housed.

Maybe once the new owners come in they can address this issue. Personally I feel the blue voice are wasted in the section they are currently housed.
Tom Lawrence confirmed at the Cliffs Consortium evening that they were looking at safe standing back in the North for home fans

Interesting distinction between stadium and ground and not one I’ve considered before. What makes Roots Hall a ground and how would you define a ground?

Interesting question but not one that I think I can answer - you (i.e. me) just knows when a ground is a ground & a stadium is a stadium. [shoulder shrug]

To give an example, the Victoria Park in Hartlepool is a ground. York's new gaff is a stadium for instance & as the same for Colchester.

I think it is important to differentiate between the two - I remember shaking my head in disbelief a few years ago when the announcer at Edgar Street in Hereford called it a stadium. Why throw away all that tradition & history by some sloppy use of the English language?

When the did the north bank change to hold away fans? What part of the stadium where they in before this as i don't really see any easy way of segregation currently

Back