• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Zone Update Trialists

palexander

Life President
From OS.

Pearson gone back to Brighton.

Saah and Worley will play v Barnet tomorrow and then decision will be made.

Rigters have a decision to make after talks.

Scannell and trialists

Looks as though Scannell won't be an option against Huddersfield after he picked up a new injury on Saturday.

http://www.southendunited.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10444~1734255,00.html

As for the trialists.............Pearson has gone back to Brighton.........Saah and Worley will be looked at again tomorrow night. Can we assume, from the last paragraph, that we are going to make Rigters a proposition..........that he can't refuse?

How many players have we got injured now?
Scannell, Betsy, Barrett, Freedman, Sankofa, is that it?
5 player is a lot in any squad but in our squad of our size we can't afford it

Still not sure about Rigters, he was ok against Ipswich but wouldn't say he was better than what we've got on their day - and reports were he wasn't very good on Saturday.

At the beginning of pre-season we wanted 2 centre backs and a quick striker, this might not have been the way we wanted it to happen but it looks like it could still happen.
PMA
Shame we missed out on a winger!

Still not sure about Rigters, he was ok against Ipswich but wouldn't say he was better than what we've got on their day - and reports were he wasn't very good on Saturday.

I'd assume Tilly doesn't base everything on just a couple of pre-season matches, but from what he also sees on the training pitch.

Rigters was a world class prospect a few years ago and has fallen a long way. He's worth a punt on reputation alone. We saw at the tail-end of last season that Barney like to play alongside a fast and direct player. Walker is still very inconsistent and it appears that Laurent might be getting more minutes on the wing.

Is Tilly planning to have Laurent as a winger now and wants Rigters to take his position a striker?
Or as back up in case Barney, Dougie and Walker all get injured again?
He was a good player but not anything better than what we've got but to play at the level he has you have got to be pretty good and his confidence can't be great so maybe once that picks up he is a much better player

From OS.

Pearson gone back to Brighton.

Saah and Worley will play v Barnet tomorrow and then decision will be made.

Rigters have a decision to make after talks.

Not surprised at all. Poor player IMO.

I'd assume Tilly doesn't base everything on just a couple of pre-season matches, but from what he also sees on the training pitch.

Rigters was a world class prospect a few years ago and has fallen a long way. He's worth a punt on reputation alone. We saw at the tail-end of last season that Barney like to play alongside a fast and direct player. Walker is still very inconsistent and it appears that Laurent might be getting more minutes on the wing.

I didn't see the ipswich game, so can't comment on that performance,

However Rigters display against the Daggers was Definitley not worthy of a contract with us. Laurent is/was FAR more dangerous up front.

As for his pace, it didn't excite me too much. Laurent (again) has more pace and more skill/control.

Rigters is obviously a bit low on confidence.

Tilson is maybe reckoning that once the young speed-merchant from the netherlands gets a warm Roots Hall reception and hears cries of 'You're sh*t Rigters you Dutch c***' and 'get this useless Dutch c*** off now Tilson you w***er' from the "Best Fans in the Land" he will soon become like his old NAC Breda self and once again be top scorer at an u/21 tournament.

Just my opinions. Sorry if I'm being too negative/ positive/ pessistic/ optimstic/ pro-Ron/ anti-Ron it's just the way I feel right now.

I have just seen Tilson in Waitrose and his basket was full of Edam cheese, 2 Unlimited albums and Van der Valk box sets.

Coincidence?

I'd be very keen for Rigters to come in. I wasn't at Dagenham but his pace, strength and movement impressed me no end against Ipswich. We haven't had a striker with as much upper body strength as him for some time. It was slightly embarrassing for Barney how he collapsed in a heap everytime a defender was up his back, whilst Rigters swotted them away like they were flies. He'd give us the option that Theo gave us last season and it's an option we most definitely need in my opinion. The thing that might swing against Rigters is the fact, against Ipswich anyway, that he didn't get any help from our players. The amount of times he made runs and shouted for the ball, only for our players to ignore him and pass to someone else was a little bit ridiculous.

As for Saah and Worley, I'd be keen for either of them to come in as our 3rd centre back, but I'm not sure I'd want either of them alongside Barrett every week. One average centre half is enough, I'm not sure we want a partnership of them. Clarke & Dervite to Barrett and Saah would be some drop.

Last edited:
It'll be incredibly harsh to judge Rigters at all on the Dagenham performance...

A striker is only as good as his service and, as many have said, the midfield was woefully inadequate against Dagenham and the forward were probably left isolated. Add that to playing in a team you're not comfortable with and it's a recipe for a poor performance.

Having seen first hand what Ritgers can be capable of, I think it'd be foolish not to offer him a contract. We're talking of a player who's already exchanged hands for millions of pounds... His potential is enormous, definitely more so than any of our forward line. Oppurtunities like this don't come along often, and not to grasp it with both hands would be stupid.

It is a World Cup year next year as well so I am sure Rigters will be looking to impres.

A 'double' of L1 and JPT winners medals would surely give Bert van Marwijk something to think about.

Last edited:
It'll be incredibly harsh to judge Rigters at all on the Dagenham performance...

A striker is only as good as his service and, as many have said, the midfield was woefully inadequate against Dagenham and the forward were probably left isolated. Add that to playing in a team you're not comfortable with and it's a recipe for a poor performance.

Having seen first hand what Ritgers can be capable of, I think it'd be foolish not to offer him a contract. We're talking of a player who's already exchanged hands for millions of pounds... His potential is enormous, definitely more so than any of our forward line. Oppurtunities like this don't come along often, and not to grasp it with both hands would be stupid.

Totally agree on the point with Rigters.

I can just picture Sawyer sliding perfect balls through for him to run onto and I think once he finds his confidence, he'd get a hatfull for us.

I'd like to see him given a run (if he signs) with Revell, as Revs is strong enough to do all the hold up play and flick ons and Rigters can play off him.

Barnard is too weak to hold the ball up and his second touch is usually a tackle!

I can just picture Sawyer sliding perfect balls through for him to run onto and I think once he finds his confidence, he'd get a hatfull for us.

He did exactly that against Ipswich. In fact him and Moussa were the only two players that even looked to slide balls in behind for him. Slightly different to Christophe then, who mistook Rigters for Peter Crouch.

How do we interpret ..............."we will be talking to him and making a decision shortly?" Could it be an offer of a one year contract, with the possibility of it being extended?

Back