• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

TV: Stephen Fry In America

Jedi Shrimper

formerly Drastic™
Anybody else going to be watching this?

Sounds like it's going to be cracking, there's an interesting preview/interview here...

http://www.radiotimes.com/blogs/430-news-stephen-fry/

I especially like this bit...
"What I certainly found is that [Americans] are, in general, much warmer, kinder, more courteous, hospitable and considerate than the British. Much." Stephen Fry.
Certainly what I've found on my two trips to America.

Great cover to the Radio Times too (shame it's a Mets shirt though)
fry.jpg

I will watch the program because I am interested in America and Americans.

I am not a fan of Stephen Fry and hate the way people fawn over him as if he is a national treasure.

Last edited:
I will definitely watch it. Especially as I've paid for this lovely holiday of his via the licence fee. Lucky posh *******.

First episode last night then, any thoughts?

Thought it was good stuff, my only quibble is the fact there's only 6 episodes, which means they're flying through some of the states and not giving them much attention.

Havent seen it yet Jonny, what with Peter Kay and storming the Shrimperzone quiz..... Iplayer tonight!

First episode last night then, any thoughts?

Thought it was good stuff, my only quibble is the fact there's only 6 episodes, which means they're flying through some of the states and not giving them much attention.

It was good watching, but nothing amazing. Great photography, but with a country like the U.S. I felt it needed more time in each area like you say mate. Felt like a race rather than an interesting reveal.

Sting added nothing to the show either, nor did the Ben & Jerry's section. But moments of interest, just sadly fairly fleeting ones...

I thought exactly the same thing.......it was all just a bit too rushed. Would have rather there be more episodes and he spent longer in each state and interacting with more people. (though not if they choose people like that rich women in Rhode Island? Was she drunk?!).

Watchable, but disappointing. Not as disappointing as Dave Gorman's America Unchained though....

Usual British TV moan - while American Telly would do this over 26 weeks, everything is squeezed into 6 hourly programs.

Why send Stephen Fry to give us a taste of American life?

He probably doesn't have any comprehension of what living in the UK means to most of the TV watching public.

Last edited:
I thought exactly the same thing.......it was all just a bit too rushed. Would have rather there be more episodes and he spent longer in each state and interacting with more people. (though not if they choose people like that rich women in Rhode Island? Was she drunk?!).

Watchable, but disappointing. Not as disappointing as Dave Gorman's America Unchained though....

Don't speak ill of the Gorman :nope:

Bit dull really. I think sometimes Fry's a tad patronising. Compare and contrast to Paul Merton in India - a fascinating series and helped by Paul's approach to the local culture.

Don't speak ill of the Gorman :nope:

Generally Id fully agree...love the work of Gorman (and perhaps even more so Danny Wallace), but think this only served to give me extremely high hopes of America Unchained. Think he sold out a little bit, leaving both the book and doc more a story about filming a road trip, rather than an actual road trip. Would have been better if he had just gone on his own or with a friend rather than with a crew, who ultimately held him back and dictated what could be done.

We've had words. Lets leave it there...:madman:

If only I could...

Generally Id fully agree...love the work of Gorman (and perhaps even more so Danny Wallace), but think this only served to give me extremely high hopes of America Unchained. Think he sold out a little bit, leaving both the book and doc more a story about filming a road trip, rather than an actual road trip. Would have been better if he had just gone on his own or with a friend rather than with a crew, who ultimately held him back and dictated what could be done.

Rubbish. How is one person a crew? The only people on that trip were Dave Gorman + Camera person. Obviously the documentary had to miss quite a bit out as it was made for tv, but the book had everything you'd want to read about in it. It was all his idea, and certainly nobody dictated to him what he could do, otherwise he wouldn't have gone hundreds of miles in the wrong bleeding direction!

If only I could...

Basically he was sitting in for a DJ on 6 music an he was playing his own selection and it was awful so I sent him a rude email, to which he read something out on air to which I responded to and we got into an email war. :D

Since then I avoid anything to do with Gorman as he's a petulant little twunk who's full of himself - and I'm glad Danny Wallace nicked his girlfriend.

Anybody else going to be watching this?

Sounds like it's going to be cracking, there's an interesting preview/interview here...

http://www.radiotimes.com/blogs/430-news-stephen-fry/

I especially like this bit...

Certainly what I've found on my two trips to America.

Great cover to the Radio Times too (shame it's a Mets shirt though)
fry.jpg

I wanted this to be so much better than it was...........

Back