• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Two days left and we need a striker.

DTS

The Business
Having freed up the wage bill with the departure of Coley and the ungrateful one Jay Smith and having made a reported £500,000 from the Spurs game I really feel we need o go hell for leather and get a striker.

I really think we can say up this season - but I really also think we need a decent striker. Bradders does a cracking job but is never going to score enough goals to keep us up. We need a striker that can pitch in with 8-10 goals between now and the end of the season.

Not meaning to sound disrepectful to Bradders as i thought he was great in spells this season but he had gone from 4th choice striker at a league one side last season (behind Freddy,Goat and Wayne Gray) and yet he is now second choice when we are a league higher.

Im off to Brum tomorrow and I hope we will have someone new either signed or in the pipe as I dont personally think the current strike force is good enough to keep us up.:(

Snap, But i fear if we buy one now it will be in a rush (like Harrold or Paynter) and we don't need that. I know that Hayes (or whatever his name is) could come here, but to be fair i dont know much about him.

You are right in saying we need one , but I think we have been working hell for leather and it hasnt got us anyone yet. Goalscorers are the most expensive commodity in footy and in the most demand so I am not hopeful

To be honest if we get a striker its not Bradbury Id be looking at to replace.

Someone else who can score goals could actually mean we could have someone snapping at Eastwoods heels.

Of course if there was a new striker who could win the ball and hold onto it like Bradbury plus score goals thats a whole different story!

Someone else who can score goals could actually mean we could have someone snapping at Eastwoods heels.

Of course if there was a new striker who could win the ball and hold onto it like Bradbury plus score goals thats a whole different story!

drogba!?

in all seriousness i agree that we still desperately need a striker... not sure if it will happen but we have cash and space in our squad, maybe increase the bid for McDonald... or maybe someone like keigan parker

My Dad is adament that our last minute transfer signing is going to be Teddy Sheringham! Can't see it myself, to be honest it has been a very quiet transfer window in regards to the outside premiership stars!

Sharp still at Scumthorpe, Nugent still with Preston, Mcleod still at MK Dons and of course Eastwood!

Only one that left was Hoskins to Watford.

Would love to make a fantastic last minute signing but to be honest can't see it happening I have no faith in a signing! Yet I still have faith in the current squad we have keeping us up!

I heard Drogba is available? :D

Thanks to bloody Derby (and from what I hear us regarding Eastwood) prices are hugely inflated right now. £2.5m for Bougherra is plain mental.

I would love us to sign someone but in terms of the quality we can get for what we want to spend, there's not a lot out there at all. If Eastwood regains form, to be honest, our team setup will look good again. The defence isn't letting in many goals and an on-form Eastwood can definitely be a match-winner.

The problem is the big if in that sentence cos if Eastwood doesn't find any form soon then we are going to be hopelessly short on goals. Personally, I think a powerful running winger might be a good acquisition to give our current two competition and to offer a different attacking option.

Same old Tilson leaving it to the last minute to buy a mediocre striker.

Do you manage a Championship football team on a very limited budget? - NO

Do you know for a fact the in's and out's of exactly what/who Tilly has been trying to get in during the transfer window? - NO

Please enlighten us all as to how you would get a proven quality Championship striker on the books with the resources Tilly has at his disposal?

Please engage brain before making such sweeping statements again. Muppet :thump:

Thanks to bloody Derby (and from what I hear us regarding Eastwood) prices are hugely inflated right now. £2.5m for Bougherra is plain mental.

I would love us to sign someone but in terms of the quality we can get for what we want to spend, there's not a lot out there at all. If Eastwood regains form, to be honest, our team setup will look good again. The defence isn't letting in many goals and an on-form Eastwood can definitely be a match-winner.

The problem is the big if in that sentence cos if Eastwood doesn't find any form soon then we are going to be hopelessly short on goals. Personally, I think a powerful running winger might be a good acquisition to give our current two competition and to offer a different attacking option.

I don't get or buy this "Eastwood has lost form" idea that people have. It's a team game and he can't always be expected to create something out of nothing. This is a much tougher league with much better defenders. As a team we are not getting behind defenses and we are not given space and time on the ball. We simply don't pull players out of position and create space for others because we are too pedestrian.

We desperately need a winger too. Gower looks shagged out at the moment and let's be honest he is hardly having to fight for his place. I'm normally an optimist but unless we sign two or three quality players who can transform this squad we aint going to stay up.

i agree i think we need another winger. gower is a good player but not convinced good enough at this level. all three goals from spurs came from our left flank, gower leaving hammell constantly being doubled teamed. i feel an attacking winger would be a great signing!

We desperately need a winger too. Gower looks shagged out at the moment and let's be honest he is hardly having to fight for his place. I'm normally an optimist but unless we sign two or three quality players who can transform this squad we aint going to stay up.

I'm not sure it's as certain as that but we could certainly do with some new quality players. Having said that, we saw this team hold their own and indeed outplay Manchester United so we know they can do it. Every game really is a cup game for us until the end of the season if we want to stay up.

thats what we do seem to play brilliant against the big big teams and lose against the lower in the table teams! we have to win all the games in the bottom half to stay up. and we have to have new players in!

Do you manage a Championship football team on a very limited budget? - NO

Do you know for a fact the in's and out's of exactly what/who Tilly has been trying to get in during the transfer window? - NO

Please enlighten us all as to how you would get a proven quality Championship striker on the books with the resources Tilly has at his disposal?

Please engage brain before making such sweeping statements again. Muppet :thump:

I know alot more than you think!

i agree i think we need another winger. gower is a good player but not convinced good enough at this level. all three goals from spurs came from our left flank, gower leaving hammell constantly being doubled teamed. i feel an attacking winger would be a great signing!

The first goal came down the Spurs left, our right. The ball was played across to an unmarked Keane on our left. He was unmarked because Hammell had been sucked into the middle. That was nothing to do with Gower, it started on our right.

The second goal also started on our right when Lennon outfought Lee Bradbury, JCR and Lewis Hunt. How is that Gower's fault? He was on the other side of the pitch. Not only that, but when the cross came in Jenas was right in the middle of our two central defenders. Again, nothing to do with Gower.

The third did indeed come down our left, but one out of three is hardly all three.

Did Gower play well? No he didn't. But to blame him for the goals is simply unfair.

Back