• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread U23s v Scunthorpe - Prem League Cup, 2nd Round qualifier

No, we activated a clause in his contract to keep him. He played in a couple of the pre-seasons as well.

https://www.clubcall.com/news/2019/05/17/ben-coker-one-of-eight-players-to-leave-southend/

Like the look of the keeper....he's gonna be good!

Also Freddie Eastwood was unbelievable shooting into the goal at half time. Literally every shot bent round the keeper into the net...7/7 i counted. In perspective the others got about 2/7.....good signs for one so young. They play football so much better than the first team!

SOUTHEND United’s new under-23 team coach Craig Fagan suffered late heartbreak in his first game in charge yesterday.

More...

Like the look of the keeper....he's gonna be good!

Also Freddie Eastwood was unbelievable shooting into the goal at half time. Literally every shot bent round the keeper into the net...7/7 i counted. In perspective the others got about 2/7.....good signs for one so young. They play football so much better than the first team!
He was doing plenty of trickery in the pre-match warm-up too. Both Freddy (dad) and Fred (Grandad) were sat just in front of us, very non plussed at their son/grandson's natural ability!

I thought the lads were really unlucky, Fagan was right in his post match comments though, they were very slow to react in the 1st half.

Harry Seaden did really well, we were impressed with several others too, both wingers - Egbri and Kinali, Matt Rush and Richard Taylor.

We may have lost but seeems we have some really good talent there,just hope they continue to improve and end up being part of a very successful SUFC in the future.

After the long stop for that injury it was almost one way traffic and after our goal it looked like there was only one winner.

They did show some great spirit and obviously reacted positively to the mangers half time rollocking.....Which makes a pleasant change at RH

We did have to many extra touches in the last 3rd and tried to hard for top corner finishes. Chose to pick out player instead of firing the ball low when in dangerous areas but to close to cross the ball.

When Scunny had there one late chance they rolled it low and in the corner.....learn the lesson lads. Normal service was resumed when a minute later they made it 3 with a pen, after barely any of our lads touching the ball from the kick.

Some good individual performances and nice skills to create chances that should have ended up with goals.

Pick of the bunch was Matt Rush. Scored a poachers goal by being alive where it counts. He has a real good attitude and puts defenders under pressure who are 6 inches taller even if he can't win the header.

Shame I couldn't see any of the first team squad....They might learn something.

Shame I couldn't see any of the first team squad....They might learn something.

Elvis and Harry Kyprianou were there; they arrived after about five minutes of the match. I imagine the rest were at the golf day.

Lewis Gard was also there. I had a brief chat with him after the match. He reckons he’s a couple of months away from a return, but he has started doing some training outside now, which is positive. He was itching to get on the pitch!

After the long stop for that injury it was almost one way traffic and after our goal it looked like there was only one winner.

They did show some great spirit and obviously reacted positively to the mangers half time rollocking.....Which makes a pleasant change at RH

We did have to many extra touches in the last 3rd and tried to hard for top corner finishes. Chose to pick out player instead of firing the ball low when in dangerous areas but to close to cross the ball.

Agree pretty much with that, although not sure whether it was the manager's intervention or the fact that Acquah's dramatic departure meant we had to re-think the tactic of trying to pick him out all the time, often being let down by his Robinsonesque first touch.

Benton's return, after a long injury, saw an improvement in the style and effectiveness of play and we were by far the better team in that second half.

For them, I thought the no. 10 John McAtee looked a very good player. Apart from his spectacular opening goal he was a handful up front in the first half and dropped deeper and used the ball well in the second.

How does a 31 year old get to play in an Under-23's match?
Screen_Shot_2017_07_13_at_1.09.20_PM.0.png

Agree pretty much with that, although not sure whether it was the manager's intervention or the fact that Acquah's dramatic departure meant we had to re-think the tactic of trying to pick him out all the time, often being let down by his Robinsonesque first touch.

Benton's return, after a long injury, saw an improvement in the style and effectiveness of play and we were by far the better team in that second half.

For them, I thought the no. 10 John McAtee looked a very good player. Apart from his spectacular opening goal he was a handful up front in the first half and dropped deeper and used the ball well in the second.

Yes some decent lads on display but the gap is bigger than a lot of fans realise.

The two lads down the left Clifford and Kinali? combined well and it was nice to see a wide player beat people (more trickery than pace) and create chances. Nice move and curling shot for the top right but again did it need to be that good. From 25 yds that would have been a great goal but he was just inside the box so low and across the keeper was the one.

Even our first team have conceded plenty of low or across the keeper goals so far.......Would help if our defence could mange just one or two AB type blocks a month.

Back