• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Understanding between strikers

Napster

No ⭐
The best partnership I saw in recent times was Drewe and Husbands. Like Torville and Dean, or eggs and bacon, they complemented each other marvellously. Sadly we will never see them play together again.

We pray strikers can achieve some mystical almost psychic understanding between them, but the reailty is, it happens rarely. Beardsley/Lineker; Shearer/Sutton; it's the Holy Grail of football.

I say give Gray and Dudfield a chance together- 30 goals between two is better than 25 from one

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ July 01 2005,17:07)]The best partnership I saw in recent times was Drewe and Husbands. Like Torville and Dean, or eggs and bacon, they complemented each other marvellously. Sadly we will never see them play together again.

We pray strikers can achieve some mystical almost psychic understanding between them, but the reailty is, it happens rarely. Beardsley/Lineker; Shearer/Sutton; it's the Holy Grail of football.

I say give Gray and Dudfield a chance together- 30 goals between two is better than 25 from one
you got the hump as i said you looked older than 30
tounge.gif

An understanding is important, however, I feel it would be better to have Dudfield and Eastwood up front as both can find the back of the net and both I feel are clever enough to play alongside each other. This also gives the option to bring on the pace of Gray for the last 20 minutes to run at tired defenders.

What really is so good about Dudfield? I dont understand all the fuss surrounding him. Alright he's not too bad but i wouldnt be sad to see him go. What did he do last season?

Should be Gray and Eastwood up front.

How many goals did Lawrie get last season and how many from the spot???

It's a good point although I reckon the only way of building a consistent partnership is by giving players a lot of games together. Eastwood and Gray, perversely, seemed to get worse after playing with each other for a long time although whether or not this is due to other teams marking Eastwood more tightly and Gray lacking an out-and-out striker's panacheis is unclear.

I've seen games where Dudfield and Eastwood worked and games where Gray and Eastwood. I actually think our best 'partnership' last season was Tes and Dudfield. Not necessarily the two best players to have but they linked up well and had different but complementary games.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimp_on_the_wing2003 @ July 01 2005,17:18)]What really is so good about Dudfield? I dont understand all the fuss surrounding him. Alright he's not too bad but i wouldnt be sad to see him go. What did he do last season?

Should be Gray and Eastwood up front.

How many goals did Lawrie get last season and how many from the spot???
And how many chances did he get last year?

And how often does his intelligent runs help the other forward?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Flying Scotsman @ July 01 2005,17:11)]An understanding is important, however, I feel it would be better to have Dudfield and Eastwood up front as both can find the back of the net and both I feel are clever enough to play alongside each other. This also gives the option to bring on the pace of Gray for the last 20 minutes to run at tired defenders.
Good point about Gray. Although I feel in the higher division, teams would be more prepared for this.

Dudfield and Eastwood could work together, but I feel the way they want the ball played to them is too similar. Gray could run onto a ball over the top or into a channel, or a Carruthersesque lost cause. Freddy and Dudders want the ball played to their feet. What they do afterwards might be different, but I think Gray, although, as you say, is technically inferior and probably less intelligent football-wise than Dudfield, I can't help but think that Gray at a higher level alongside Freddy would do well.

Having said that, we need a fit Jay Smith in support if we are to really penetrate the League One defences

I think all this fuss about which strikers will play is all about the supply to the forwards, rather than the skills of the forwards themselves. As Jay is coming back for next year, the supply to the front line will be better. If this is the case, whoever plays up front would do better because of the better quality service that they are provided with.

Dudfield is a goalscorer. If he had played as many games as wayne gray did last year he would have scored more goals. No question. Thats not a pop at Wayne, its just a reflection of the different strengths that they bring to the side.

Freddy possibly might have scored fewer with Duds alongside him ut imo its better to have two strikers hitting around the 20 mark. If you've only got on player who knows where the back of the net is (as we did at times last year) then that puts too much pressure on the one guy and makes the opposition team-talk far too easy (ie stop Eastwood and you stop Southend).

Anyone who doesn't rate dudfield should think back 12 months to when a lot of people were predicting he'd hit 20 goals. and if had played enough games I'm convinced he would have done.

The best partnership we have had recently is Tes n Lawrie, but when you have someone like Freddy you mould your team around him, n play him with Mr. New striker

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ July 01 2005,17:07)]The best partnership I saw in recent times was Drewe and Husbands. Like Torville and Dean,
I love the Drewe & Husbands-Torville & Dean comparison.

Both were sh*te.

Remind me how many goals Husband and Broughton combined for?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ July 03 2005,16:52)]

Remind me how many goals Husband and Broughton combined for?
That'd be about 0 i reckon!    
tounge.gif

wink.gif

Back