• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Uni Courses

Jay_Shrimper

Mummy's Little Soldier
Hi Guys!
Just looking for a bit of advise really.
Am currently finishing my 1st year of Sixth Form but am seriously wanting to leave. My teachers are being d*cks and I'm not liking the courses I'm doing (Business, Personal Finance, Accounts and IT).
For those of you who don't know - I want to become a paramedic.
So, any idea of any LOCAL uni's that do courses on medical science?
Also, any experiences anyone would care to share?
Any help would be appreciated guys and green may be rewarded.

Cheers, TYIA.

Jay.

Hi Guys!
Am currently finishing my 1st year of Sixth Form but am seriously wanting to leave. My teachers are being d*cks and I'm not liking the courses I'm doing (Business, Personal Finance, Accounts and IT).

Cheers, TYIA.

Jay.

Hello mate, how local are you thinking and are you looking to start in 08 or 09?

firstly - i'm pretty sure you don't need to have a uni degree (or even a-levels) to become an amergency technician (the normal first step before becoming a paramedic)...

ambulance tech

paramedic

try getting in touch with the hospital and they are usually very good at either sorting a little placement where you might be able to shadow them.. or at least let you meet someone so you can find out a bit more. even if you just spend a bit of time in A&E then im sure that may help any applications - it's all about showing that you are both intellengent, and keen

also i don't know if having first aid training is really necessary - but i doubt it would do any harm, so see if your school does something, and if you're old enough then nailing your driving test would be important

if you are set on going to uni then why do you want to stay local? if it's for financial/housing reasons then it's probably worth chatting to some uni's or your UCAS/careers adviser about the financial aspects and you could be eligable for support.

I don't know what local uni's would be doing medical sciences, but you're probably looking at having to get to either chelmsford, colchester or east london on a regular basis. if your not doing any science at a-level then i'm not sure if you would get onto a medical science degree, but there may be other higher qualifications you could do, or a 1 year conversion/foundation course

You don't need to be a graduate to be a paramedic, surely? Look at the local ambulance service and apply.

You don't need to be a graduate to be a paramedic, surely? Look at the local ambulance service and apply.

yeah i agree... what i think is worth doing is making sure you do some small things like try and do some work experience, because if you apply and don't get on the 1st time, you may not be able to reapply for a while so it's worth taking that time to increase your chance on getting on the first time round.

here you go Jay... this should help you out

http://www.essexambulance.nhs.uk/ae_emts.asp

Hi Guys!

Cheers, TYIA.

Jay.

Do your A levels first before training to be a Paramedic.

You might find you hate it and would at least have your A levels to fall back on.

It may well help your cause if you were to do Human Biology at evening classes as well, Apart from the obvious, it would also look good on your application that you put yourself out a bit to prepare yourself for the career.

You will be an Ambulance tech for a few years before you get Paramedic status, there will be more exams as well

Do your A levels first before training to be a Paramedic.

You might find you hate it and would at least have your A levels to fall back on.

Yep agree with that totally. You could always join St John's Ambulance? Free entry into football games ;)

Yep agree with that totally. You could always join St John's Ambulance? Free entry into football games ;)

First Responders as well, basically its like the Special Constables of the Ambulance world .

Simple stuff (intubation and cardiacs mainly, No bloods) where the Ambulance ETA is greater than 8 minutes and the FR on call is within 8 minutes. You do have to have your own car though

Am already a member. Have been for about a year.

Cheers for the help guys - I'll have a look into it a tad further. I remember reading somewhere though that uni applicants are more likely to get the job and that they don't normally let people that have worked there way up from lower jobs in as easy as people who went to uni do.

Am already a member. Have been for about a year.

Cheers for the help guys - I'll have a look into it a tad further. I remember reading somewhere though that uni applicants are more likely to get the job and that they don't normally let people that have worked there way up from lower jobs in as easy as people who went to uni do.

I'd speak to them mate. I imagine for managerial roles a Uni degree is essential, but for a day to day paramedic, hands on skills are far more important.

We've got a shed load of graduates who are bright as a button but give them a screwdriver and they're fugged.

Back