• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Uni Interview

chapperzUK

Any advice is much appreciated. The interview is at Essex Uni (in Colchester). I will be studying Computer Science there.

Don't -

Turn up ****ed
Describe yourself as competent in, "MS Word, MS Works and Grand Theft Auto"
Make your first question, "So, what's the fanny like round here?"

Do -

Read the Tech sections of the broadsheets beforehand and drop a few articles into conversation

Say that you're very close to your sister, stick a fake plastic finger on your right hand, smash all your teeth out with a hammer, wear a faded 1984 Bon Jovi T-shirt and stone washed jeans, cut your hair in a mullet, roll around in pig manure and say how you enjoy sheep when your sister has a headache.

That's a MBA without taking a single lecture.

Introduce yourself and shake hands with the interviewers... First impressions are everything and they'll respond to someone who's warm and friendly.

Express why you want to do the course and why you'd be an excellent student, throw in some long term goals and how what you've done until now will help you succeed. Pick things that demonstrate key skills... i.e. playing team sports shows you're a team player and have the commitment to see something through.

Ask questions. It shows that you're interested in what the University has to offer you which is always a good sign. Ask them about graduate employment rates, facilities and if there's a module choice you want some extra information on, don't hesitate to ask.

Most importantly, make yourself rememberable. Depending on the size of the class, they probably have around 10 places and 20-30 interviewees. If you do the above, you'll stand out ahead of some of those who will turn up expecting to answer a few questions and go home with a place in the bag.

Ask about the stats for graduates finding employment.

Computer science graduates have been struggling for a few years.

If you want a job as a developer and you have the ability I would strongly advise you to take computer science with maths or better still maths.

Don't -

Turn up ****ed
Describe yourself as competent in, "MS Word, MS Works and Grand Theft Auto"
Make your first question, "So, what's the fanny like round here?"

Do -

Read the Tech sections of the broadsheets beforehand and drop a few articles into conversation

I think you got the "do" and "don't" round the wrong way.

Ask about the stats for graduates finding employment.

Computer science graduates have been struggling for a few years.

If you want a job as a developer and you have the ability I would strongly advise you to take computer science with maths or better still maths.

I'm doing maths at A Level and I am predicted an A. Do you think that will be enough?

I'm doing maths at A Level and I am predicted an A. Do you think that will be enough?

I would imagine so.

Computer science degrees are not particularly highly regarded by top employers who prefer mathematicians, physicists and engineers.

The same applies for the games industry.

I would imagine so.

Computer science degrees are not particularly highly regarded by top employers who prefer mathematicians, physicists and engineers.

The same applies for the games industry.

Thanks. When I looked around other Unis, they were happy that I was doing maths at A level.

Make sure that you also have some questions to ask. From a personal perspective, when I am interviewing (and that includes people who wish to undergo further studies) I am always impressed if people turn the tables and ask appropiate questions

Sack Uni off, but take the Student loans. Get ****ed up for three years, and when it then comes to job interviews, just say you graduated from the University of life. Your employers will be impressed if you managed to be addicted to smack for two years, and then spend the third getting clean. Much more fun, and future jobs will be easy to get.

Back