• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

United 1964-8 period info sought please

vetchbook

Can anybody help me with some research I am conducting into the club from 1964-1968 please? I am after programmes that may be available to buy or borrow for this purpose only so only cheap prices required.

I am particularly interested in a former player of that era called Eddie May. An epping lad that made it up to sign on as a pro when Ted Fentonwas manager at the club.
Anybody remeber him? Do elaborate and tell me anything at all.

Eddie tells me that he made his debut v Workington but I would like to clarify this via old programmes/ team listings etc.

hope someone can come back to me.
thanks
Gary

Can anybody help me with some research I am conducting into the club from 1964-1968 please? I am after programmes that may be available to buy or borrow for this purpose only so only cheap prices required.

I am particularly interested in a former player of that era called Eddie May. An epping lad that made it up to sign on as a pro when Ted Fentonwas manager at the club.
Anybody remeber him? Do elaborate and tell me anything at all.

Eddie tells me that he made his debut v Workington but I would like to clarify this via old programmes/ team listings etc.

hope someone can come back to me.
thanks
Gary

Dave Goody or Peter Miles are your best bets for info, I don't think they post on here but someone might be able to contact them for you.

Looks like Eddie May made his debut v Colchester away on the 20th March 1965 we lost 3-1.

Last edited:
If you look on this site it will give some brief details of his playing career for us.

I remember him very well, and I believe he made his debut in the first season we were relegated from Division 3 under Alvan Williams who promised he would get us out of division 3, he did only he didn't specify which way. IIRC he played a couple of seasons in our division 4 side before rejoining Williams at Wrexham where I think he had a long career and played for them in Europe. I may be wrong but I think he also managed Wrexham for a time (may have been Swansea or Cardiff, but definitely a Welsh club). And judging by your user name I'm guessing he must have also spent some time at Swansea.

Hope the above helps and happy hunting. :clap:

From Dave Goody's and Peter Mason's excellent History of SUFC:

Eddie May born 19th May 1943 Epping signed from Dagenham January 1965.

1964-65 His Debut was at Col Ewe on the 20th March 1965 and he was at left back as Lou Costello was absent. I (aged 12) was there and to be honest can't remember him but I can tell you it was a filthy day, in a filthy ground and a filthy result. He kept his place for the next match at home to Port Vale which I also saw.

1965-66 our first ever relegation, his first appearance was on the 25th October 1965 a 3-1 home win over Workington (yes I was there of course) in the more familar centre half position, he made 30 league appearances and 3 in the cup.

1966-67 was a big push for promotion but falling away towards the end of the season and finished sixth, Eddie made 42 League appearances 1 F.A. Cup and 2 league Cup and scored twice. The first was in a 4-0 Boxing Day win over Aldershot in which all of the half back Line of Beanland May and Slack scored. The second was the only goal in a 1-0 home win over Newport (yes I saw both those goals).

1967-68 a repeat of the previous season but an unbelievable collapse at the end of the season saw us again finish sixth. Eddie made 32 appearances plus 4 as sub plus 1 in the League Cup. He scored in the 7-0 win over Aldershot which signalled our collapse from the next game on.

He then left to follow Alvan Williams to wrexham as did several of our players. from memory he was an excellent player tall and gangling but very secure at centre half, a good player and part of wonderfull part of the club's history.

Hope this helps

DoDtS

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone that helped me here! A great bunch of fellas.
Would anyone have any home programmes fromthis 65-68 period? I would love to see them.

Thanks for everyone that helped me here! A great bunch of fellas.
Would anyone have any home programmes fromthis 65-68 period? I would love to see them.

The home programmes 65/66 season were very small & front cover was the same all season. The 66/7 and 67/8 season programmes are much better. You can pick them up for about £1 on eBay. If not I'm sure someone on here might be able to lend/sell/give you some from around that time.

Back