• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

VAR Thread

GNH

Fish House Ultras⭐
Somewhere to discuss the VAR inclusion into the game.

Already started at WHUFC v Man City, Man C having a goal disallowed for 'offside' with Sterling being judged to have about 1cm of his shoulder offside as the pass was made in the build up.

How can that be deemed as offside? There is no way the technology is accurate enough to pin point the precise moment the pass is made, the defender was standing still and Sterling was running at speed. A frame 1/100th of a second before that would show him onside. These type of VAR rulings need to be removed before it ruins our game, it was not a clear and obviuos error.

Saw PSG V Nimes earlier on Canal+.VAR was corrrectly used to give PSG a pen.which they scored from in a 3-0 win.Neither the ref.nor the TV cameras picked up on the handball in the box first time around.

Watching glimpses of the WHU v City in the pub it shows why in its current form the off-side rule and VAR simply cant and doesn't work.

Time to go back to clear day light. Otherwise we will need technology to decide when was the ball actually played.

With such fine-lines on off-side decisions why haven't the VAR folk been able to pin-point the exact location for free-kicks rather than have players move the ball to virtually wherever they like. Messi's free-kick v Liverpool in the CL a classic case of the ball being moved about 10 yards nearer the penalty area to give him a much better chance of scoring....which he did.

The whole 'daylight' thing is a bit of a myth - the brilliant Adam Hurrey has written about it here: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...ht-will-not-rescue-football-vars-microscopic/

Even if that was the rule, it would require the same microscopic detail that's required now. You have to draw a line somewhere.

I think VAR will get better with time. Like any new technology, there'll be teething problems. I think at the start there's a tendency to overuse it and check everything. It was the same when it was first introduced in the Bundesliga, but now the referees use it sensibly and there are lots of games that pass off without VAR featuring at all. The complaints over the weekend were mainly related to the new rules around offside and handball (which is stupid) rather than the technology itself.

I do worry it's taking some of the euphoria out of scoring a goal, but it's here to stay and it's something we need to get used to and get better at. Anyway, I doubt it'll reach us in the lower leagues for quite some time!

Unfortunately I can't see it resolving tight decisions any quicker and by removing the 'euphoria'
element that's not any improvement at all, quite the reverse.

The whole 'daylight' thing is a bit of a myth - the brilliant Adam Hurrey has written about it here: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...ht-will-not-rescue-football-vars-microscopic/

Even if that was the rule, it would require the same microscopic detail that's required now. You have to draw a line somewhere.

I think VAR will get better with time. Like any new technology, there'll be teething problems. I think at the start there's a tendency to overuse it and check everything. It was the same when it was first introduced in the Bundesliga, but now the referees use it sensibly and there are lots of games that pass off without VAR featuring at all. The complaints over the weekend were mainly related to the new rules around offside and handball (which is stupid) rather than the technology itself.

I do worry it's taking some of the euphoria out of scoring a goal, but it's here to stay and it's something we need to get used to and get better at. Anyway, I doubt it'll reach us in the lower leagues for quite some time!
I can't read the article because there's a paywall but the problem isn't that people think that there has to be daylight to be offside, the problem is that the technology to recognise exactly when the ball is kicked doesn't exist, so it's down to the VAR team to pause the footage when they personally think it's been kicked. This leads to human error in when to pause the footage and if you are only a fraction of a yard offside you easily could have been onside if they'd paused the footage a couple of milliseconds earlier.

I thought the euphoria of scoring a goal was the whole point of football.

VAR is for the armchair fan and he already has to much power. Think of the misery poor Phil Cox or the likes of Herman have had to suffer over the years.......Now we want to rob them of the moment Humprhys scores the winner.

I thought the euphoria of scoring a goal was the whole point of football.

VAR is for the armchair fan and he already has to much power. Think of the misery poor Phil Cox or the likes of Herman have had to suffer over the years.......Now we want to rob them of the moment Humprhys scores the winner.

Not really.It's been used in La Liga since the beginning of last season.I've seen quite a few matches at Cornellà which have been affected (not always adversley) by its use already.However I dobt if it will make it down to L1/2 for some time if ever.

Not really.It's been used in La Liga since the beginning of last season.I've seen quite a few matches at Cornellà which have been affected (not always adversley) by its use already.However I dobt if it will make it down to L1/2 for some time if ever.

Do you really care about the results of any of these games?.
Could an 87th minute winning La Liga goal send you into a state of Euphoria ?
Would that high last for not just days but
weeks?
If the answer is no. Then of course VAR doesn't spoil the game because your an armchair fan who just popped along to watch a few live games.

If any of these names, Polycarpou, Crown, Benjamin, Jupp, Eastwood, Pigott or Humphrys.... bring a warm smile and a memory that only those that were there can ever understand.
If any of those names, make you jealous that you ween't there.....Even if you weren't born.
If an older fan talking about a name that you never even seen play (Billy Best in my case) and their inner happiness brings comfort to yourself.
Then you are not an armchair fan and you don't need VAR. You live for that special moment. A buzz that any crack whore would be jealous of.
Don't let powerful TV companies ever, ever rob you of that feeling.

Do you really care about the results of any of these games?.
Could an 87th minute winning La Liga goal send you into a state of Euphoria ?

Would that high last for not just days but
weeks?
If the answer is no. Then of course VAR doesn't spoil the game because your an armchair fan who just popped along to watch a few live games.

If any of these names, Polycarpou, Crown, Benjamin, Jupp, Eastwood, Pigott or Humphrys.... bring a warm smile and a memory that only those that were there can ever understand.
If any of those names, make you jealous that you ween't there
.....Even if you weren't born.
If an older fan talking about a name that you never even seen play (Billy Best in my case) and their inner happiness brings comfort to yourself.
Then you are not an armchair fan and you don't need VAR. You live for that special moment. A buzz that any crack whore would be jealous of.
Don't let powerful TV companies ever, ever rob you of that feeling.

Of course I care about Espanyol's results,after all I'm an Espanyol season card holder and have been for many years.

But first and foremost,I'm a a fan of SUFC and have seen all the players you mention, including the sublime Billy Best.*

My point about VAR, having lived with it for a year or so, is that while it certainly does slow games down,often at key moments,I don't have a problem with it, as long as what the ref.is seeing is also shown on the big screen in the stadium.At least that way you have a chance to talk about it with the people yo're with.If it's not,it's just boring while you're waitoing for the ref's decision.As I said above I don't expect the tech.to reach L1/2 level for years yet (if ever).

*Incidentally I remember him calling around around at my parent's place on the corner of Southbourne Grove/Bridgewater Drive in Westcliff, along with John Mckinven,Sammy McMillan and John Kurila looking for some temporary summer work with my father's building firm back in the 60's.As a young kid and a huge fan I was starstruck.How times have changed for footballers!

**Phil Chisnall and Sammy Mac.could often be seen drinking together at the Bell Public house back in those days too.

Last edited:
The problem I see is that it slows down the game and often for far too long a time. If a decision can't be made within seconds (which it should) as opposed to minutes (often taking many) the system just isn't working to the benefit of the game as claimed by the VAR brigade and certainly doesn't enhance it, in fact quite the opposite imo.

The problem I see is that it slows down the game and often for far too long a time. If a decision can't be made within seconds (which it should) as opposed to minutes (often taking many) the system just isn't working to the benefit of the game as claimed by the VAR brigade and certainly doesn't enhance it, in fact quite the opposite imo.

Couldn't agree more, football is an emotional sport with many moments of utter despair interspersed with sheer elation. How bad is it going to be to remove that from the game because someone decides that your forward's big toe was 2 cms offside when the pass was made.

I'd rather concede goals that are that close and accept it knowing the same will happen at the other end than have them all ruled out, and I mean that 100%

This **** is ruining the game! The City v Tottenham goal just disallowed is an absolute joke!

Ruining the game and helping those Scouse ****s win the league.

Back