• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News VAT reduction - Tickets and Club Shop

Kenny

Thailand Shrimper
From the official site:

Southend United are pleased to confirm that they will be passing on the Value Added Tax reduction announced earlier this week to supporters.

From Monday, December 1st, the rate of VAT will be reduced from 17.5% to 15%, and we are passing these savings on to you by reducing our VAT inclusive prices.

That means that any ticket purchased for games at Roots Hall on or after Monday, December 1 will reflect the VAT decrease.

The Southend United Club Shop and bluesdirect online store will also be adjusting the rate of VAT across their line of products.
Article continues
Advertisement

Due to the huge task and cost involved in re-labelling all products, the club will continue to display prices showing VAT at 17.5% for the time being but the amount paid at the point of sale will reflect the decrease.

As from December 1 the price of match tickets will be:

Pre-Match:
Adults £19.60
Seniors £12.70
Students £11.75
Young Persons £11.75
Juniors £9.80
Under 8 £4.90
Family Ticket (1 adult 1 child) £19.60
Additional Adult £15.65
Additional Child £3.90
Disabled £12.70

Matchday:
Adults £21.55
Seniors £14.70
Students £13.70
Young Persons £11.75
Juniors £10.75
Under 8 £4.90
Family Ticket (1 adult 1 child) £21.55
Additional Adult £16.65
Additional Child £4.90
Disabled £14.70

well its better than nothing i suppose. Shame it wasnt around when buying season tickets!

Good job season card holders paid there £380 well in advance then. We won't be messed about by the Vatman.

Well it works both ways, Season tickets should be cheaper for next season and then we will reap the benefits when VAT goes up again.

I understand in a way the club has to do this but...

Saving 40p for example off a match ticket is not going to sway anyone into buying a ticket. Am I alone in preferring the club left it where it is?! 40p is nothing to most people but multiply that amount by a few thousand and thats a nice chunk of money for the club! I've not been credit crunched that badly... yet!!! I would rather the club kept my pennies... one stadium full of 40p's could buy you a new Scannell!!! lol.

This is quite possibly the most ridiculous and pointless tax cut ever... not the clubs fault its the idiot with the eyebrows!!! Guess thats for another forum.

On the plus side atleast as a season ticket holder I will be getting my first discounts in the club shop of the season. We were mugged with the stupid TeamCard...

Can't believe it took nearly an hour for someone to complain about the club passing on a tax cut to us. We all need to take a long hard look at ourselves.

"Saving 40p for example off a match ticket is not going to sway anyone into buying a ticket."

That is of course true but it's not the club's fault - the VAT reduction affects most things as we know. If, like me, you bought a seaso' @17.5% that's tough luck. You can hardly expect a refund!

"Saving 40p for example off a match ticket is not going to sway anyone into buying a ticket."

That is of course true but it's not the club's fault - the VAT reduction affects most things as we know. If, like me, you bought a seaso' @17.5% that's tough luck. You can hardly expect a refund!

Might be nice if they gave us STHs a substantially reduced cup game ticket if we progress further.

Why should they give us STH's a discount for VAT payment? Will you ask your local garage for cheap chocolate because you bought some petrol last week?

I can see problems with the ticket office rapidly running out of 5p's!

Might be nice if they gave us STHs a substantially reduced cup game ticket if we progress further.
How would that work ?
We (season ticket Holders) paid VAT at the going rate when we bought the Season Tickets, the club will have already paid the vat to the revenue.

Any reduction in Ticket costs over and above the 2.5% would come straight off the clubs bottom line.

the reduction in VAT would only work out as £ 4.98 based on a £ 380 season with 9/23rds of it used anyway

How would that work ?
We (season ticket Holders) paid VAT at the going rate when we bought the Season Tickets, the club will have already paid the vat to the revenue.

Any reduction in Ticket costs over and above the 2.5% would come straight off the clubs bottom line.

the reduction in VAT would only work out as £ 4.98 based on a £ 380 season with 9/23rds of it used anyway

I demand my £4.98 refund now, there is a credit crunch,recession/depression,banking crisis,unemployment crisis, not to mention a striker crisis at RH going on you know.

The petrol station is not exactly an accurate analogy is it? We have paid for tickets in advance, and those for the rest of the season technically should be at a lower rate than what we've paid - you hardly have a scheme for paying in advance for petrol do you? All I'm saying is that it might be a nice gesture from the football club to its STHs, and that holds true for any clubs.

Yes you do - you pay for it before you use it! So it's an exact analogy.

Any refund should come from HM Revenue and Customs, not SUFC. It won't of course.

Last edited:
Lol... its not really a complaint! I'm just saying I would rather the club kept the money!!!

Given that the tax element of such a purchase is prescribed, the club is really obliged to do this. Failure to do this would be effectively increasing ticket prices mid-season. Perhaps they could put a collection box in the ticket office for those who wish to continue to pay the previous rate.

How would that work ?

'twas not always so.

Back