• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Venice

Davros

The Whippet
Going next Wednesday for 3 days, any experianced travellers?

My main question is getting from the Airport to the City.

Seemingly the best way is the water bus from Marco Polo to Piazza St Marco (which we are staying near), which is €27 return.

Mum (we are taking my parents also), wants to get the three day transport pass, which is €35, but from what i can see, this does not cover the route to/from the airport. Can someone confirm if this is definately the case?

Cheers

Going next Wednesday for 3 days, any experianced travellers?

My main question is getting from the Airport to the City.

Seemingly the best way is the water bus from Marco Polo to Piazza St Marco (which we are staying near), which is €27 return.

Mum (we are taking my parents also), wants to get the three day transport pass, which is €35, but from what i can see, this does not cover the route to/from the airport. Can someone confirm if this is definately the case?

Cheers
See you there! We're out there next Friday - Sunday. I've got a work conference there and Lauren is sneaking along too!

Get one of these cards if you're under 30:
http://www.hellovenezia.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=178&Itemid=158&lang=en
The vaparetto is a great way to get around, especially if you're not staying on Venice island (we're staying on the Lido)
You get a 72hr card for 18euros rather than 35euros. That covers your vaparetto.

You'll have to pay for your bus or boat to the island from the airport. I got the bus last time I went, which was fine - 6euros each way. However apparently the boat is good fun but is 25euros return.

The airport arrivals is pretty small and there's an obvious kiosk where you get your travel cards and stuff from!

Have fun, and if you fancy meeting for a bellini give me a shout!

Not an experienced traveler by any means, and have only been to Venice once (about 6 years ago), but this may help.
Got off the plane and thought we could walk into Venice proper......Mr map-reader here had looked at a map but got the wrong airport!!!!
So anyway, caught bus into Venice and then investigated transport pass. We bought the three day pass and it was brilliant because we could just hop on and off the Vaporetto's as we pleased. We also used it for getting back to the airport. This was using the VENICE CARD and not just a vaporetto pass.
this page may be useful http://goitaly.about.com/od/transportation/qt/vaporetto.htm
So you should be able to get your Venice cards before boarding the bus at the airport.

Did Venice a few years ago (about six) with the Mrs and we got a water boat from the airport to the main centre for a fair bit less than that from memory. Cant confirm or deny your question but I think the boats to and from the airport are different to the day to day ones you use when you are there.........

Either way enjoy and take your wellies.

Didn't point out that we used the bus to get back from the Island to the mainland airport. Included in our Venice ticket.

Went there about 10 years ago, really nice place, if a bit pricey. Many of the streets were flooded which was a bit of a disappointment.

Hi Dave,
We have been there 6 times and was last there in October last year.
27 Euros is a good price and a normal cab would cost far more.
You would not be able to walk from the airport to the city (wwell you could if you wanted to but I would not advice)

Just got back last week - amazing place! For transport to/from the airport you have at least three options:

Alilaguna airport taxi - roughly €30 per person for a return, boats every 45-60 mins, drop offs at all major stops. Takes a good 60-90 minutes from the airport to the main square though.

Bus & Water taxi - take the bus over the bridge to the main bus station and grab a water taxi (motoscafi) down the grand canal. Would probably cost about €25 each return all in.

Private taxi - €110 per taxi each way. Arguably the classiest way to arrive and you'll be at your hotel in 30 mins.

VERY jealous and you're going at the perfect time. Last week things were pretty busy by day but by the time the cruise ships bugger off its lovely and quiet in the evenings.

Just got back last week - amazing place! For transport to/from the airport you have at least three options:

Alilaguna airport taxi - roughly €30 per person for a return, boats every 45-60 mins, drop offs at all major stops. Takes a good 60-90 minutes from the airport to the main square though.

Bus & Water taxi - take the bus over the bridge to the main bus station and grab a water taxi (motoscafi) down the grand canal. Would probably cost about €25 each return all in.

Private taxi - €110 per taxi each way. Arguably the classiest way to arrive and you'll be at your hotel in 30 mins.

VERY jealous and you're going at the perfect time. Last week things were pretty busy by day but by the time the cruise ships bugger off its lovely and quiet in the evenings.

Are they still doing the road improvements into the City.
It was chaos when we were there in October

Back