• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
Oztumer was given a decent round of applause last Saturday for his second half performance - well deserved too - and the other thread about the hat tricks got me to thinking... how many other players get an ovation from us?

I'm not talking about fondly remembered ex players, I'm talking about players whose performances were so good we literally held our hands up (well, not literally as otherwise it's hard to clap, but you know what I mean) and said "Yeah, you gotta respect that, it was excellent."

The only two that spring to mind are Kinkladze when Man City beat us here 3-2 and he scored 2, and the other was way back in the 1970's when Swansea's Alan Curtis struck 2 absolute thunderbolts from distance into the top corner. They were two of the best goals I have ever seen and were deservedly applauded even though they turned the game for Swansea who came back from 1-0 down to win 2-1.

He didn't get any applause from our stand! :nope:

Maybe the East is more forgiving!

Gerry Francis - former England captain was player manager for Exeter in 1983/84. He lashed in a remarkable shot from about 30 yards and was applauded all the way back to the half way line.

Can remember the crowd applauding Peter Beardsley when he played at Roots Hall later on in his career for Fulham or perhaps Hartlepool?

I wonder if any old timers like me remember a game v Notts County in the early sixties. We lost one nil due to an outstanding performance from their keeper by the name of Rose. He was applauded from the field at the end of the game.

From memory, Lee Trundle when he and Akinfenwa destroyed us for Swansea in League 1 and Junior Agogo for Bristol Rovers the season before.

Oztumer was given a decent round of applause last Saturday for his second half performance - well deserved too - and the other thread about the hat tricks got me to thinking... how many other players get an ovation from us?

I'm not talking about fondly remembered ex players, I'm talking about players whose performances were so good we literally held our hands up (well, not literally as otherwise it's hard to clap, but you know what I mean) and said "Yeah, you gotta respect that, it was excellent."

The only two that spring to mind are Kinkladze when Man City beat us here 3-2 and he scored 2, and the other was way back in the 1970's when Swansea's Alan Curtis struck 2 absolute thunderbolts from distance into the top corner. They were two of the best goals I have ever seen and were deservedly applauded even though they turned the game for Swansea who came back from 1-0 down to win 2-1.

Even more amazing given that Curtis played in carpet slippers.

CYJl49YWQAEQqxI.jpg

I do remember clapping Simon Royce roundly as he left the pitch, after he conceded 5 for QPR not so many years ago!

Yes the East clapped Oztumer. It's not something I usually do but was deserved in this instance.

I wonder if any old timers like me remember a game v Notts County in the early sixties. We lost one nil due to an outstanding performance from their keeper by the name of Rose. He was applauded from the field at the end of the game.
Absolutely remember it (although I don't want to consider myself an old timer just yet). Monday April 22nd 1968. It was my first season at Roots Hall and our push for promotion was ending in tears. His name was Mike Rose and he had an unbelievable game. It was compounded 4 nights later by another game under floodlights at home to Crewe. Again from what I remember we bombarded them, but alas the game stayed goalless.

Just to put it all in context, after 37 games that season, we were in second place behind Luton (4 teams went up automatically). We had 50 points and we would have needed just 9 points from 9 games to go up (only 2 points for a win mind). We went on a run of 6 defeats and 2 draws, before winning a "dead rubber" in our last game against Rochdale.
We finished a painful sixth and I still wince when I read Ernie Shepherd's programme comments for that Rochdale game.
For me a memorable season (as it was my first), but the pain on missing out on a deserved promotion was tangible.

Bobby Moore when he played for Fulham at Roots Hall, I think Alan Mullery was playing as well

Now my memory maybe playing tricks but George Best was there playing, I seem to remember him being bloated but still skinning our defender (Again maybe wrong on G Best playing in the same match)

Recall Ian Wright scoring a worldie for Palace. He ran off towards the West Stand in snarling celebration and seemed quite bemused to be met with a wall of applause.

My memory recalls the Friday Night Frank Worthington came to the Hall when he was player/coach I think
Was it Swindon ? Can't be sure.
What I do remember was an extra 3,000 on the gate and Frank standing in the centre circle all night dictating terms
Worth the entrance fee alone

Back