• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I think this seasons football is crying out for the pace, power and movement tomlin and assombalonga offer. I agree, happy with all areas apart from up top because we need more pace to help unlock defences. We just signed a pacey striker and played him right wing, isolating Reid up top on his own. I'm not going to moan because I walked away feeling positive.

i think signing forte would really help up top too.

I think this seasons football is crying out for the pace, power and movement tomlin and assombalonga offer. I agree, happy with all areas apart from up top because we need more pace to help unlock defences. We just signed a pacey striker and played him right wing, isolating Reid up top on his own. I'm not going to moan because I walked away feeling positive.

i think signing forte would really help up top too.
Does pace up front equal a long ball approach? If we don't have have pace then maybe PB is looking for a footballing approach to our game. Is this such a bad thing?

From what I could make out from the commentary. Reid was isolated up front and Bentley's GK's were just being instantly returned to us which made it hard for him to do anything.

Out of the cup, with the revenue that it offers, with barely a whimper.

Yeovil were easily the better team without really breaking sweat. Their goal had been coming and it came with a directness and crispness that we never looked like offering. An excellent goal that showcased their championship quality.

I don't think we won a corner all match and we barely entered the Yeovil penalty box.

For the first half Reid was isolated and ineffective. He looked short of match practice although perked up with the introduction of Corr later on who was able to hold the ball up from long balls forward - the only time we really got into the final third other than long throws from Bennett and then Leonard.

Our best chance of the first half came from a free-kick from close to the halfway line produced a move direct from the training ground as Phillips nodded across goal only for Bennett to swing wildly and deposit it over the North Bank. It deserved better.

Our only other effort of the half I think was an optimistic Reid shot on the turn from the edge of the area from a Cowan knock down that went over the North Bank again. Straker played a superb through ball to Atkinson but Atkinson lacked the confidence to go for goal and the chance was lost. Payne had a run but was blocked and there was an excellent John White cross but with no Corr in the starting line-up nobody was there to attack it, plus some long throws but that was pretty much it in a first half display that was pretty but totally toothless.

Things picked up second half after an hour with the belated introduction of Corr and Leonard who both made a difference but we never really looked like hurting Yeovil who always looked the more likely team to score. Corr began holding the ball up from the more direct balls forward whilst in midfield Leonard who had replaced Payne was demonstrating that it's more efficient to pass the ball early than to run it. One pass from Leonard with the outside of his boot to Coker down the wing was sublime.

Corr put a free-kick narrowly wide, Reid again fired over on the turn, Clifford shot tamely wide before we finally got a shot on target in the rather generous 6 minutes of injury time. Wahoo!

I know Yeovil are two divisions higher, but a team from our division made it all the way to the final last season, so it's a little disappointing we couldn't have offered a little more going forward in what was after all a home game.

Still Ngoo looked an intriguing prospect and I think we have a sell-on on him.

Yea thought it was a bit flat overall after Saturdays excellent showing. We showed in patches the kind of style we are trying to achieve this season, then other times just lumped it to Reid who was never gonna win a header (and I dont think he did).

Disappointed we stayed 433 for so long. At our level, its more 451 as i dont think league 2 players have the attacking nous to really join in the attack like when teams such as Chelsea/Barca do it and it left Reid very isolated and a little unfair to judge him on that performance.

Also surprised we didnt throw Eastwood on and that Leonard came on for Timlin?

Anyways, for what its worth;

1. Bentley 6 - Thought he was a bit flat footed for the goal, kicking still erratic.
2. White 6 - Decent skippers performance but didnt get over the halfway line all night
3. Bennett 5 - Looked rusty as you'd expect, but I still think he's going to be a great acquisition for us.
4. Prosser 6 - Battled hard and dealt with most things
5. Phillps 5 - Struggled with Ngoo I thought.
6. Payne 6 - Offered some bright play initially, but faded as expected
7. Clifford 5 - Was really disappointed with him too be honest. Looked excellent v QPR but didnt really get on the ball at all
8. Atkinson 7 - Very good footballer, good feet and not afraid to run at players. Thought he was our pick
9. Cowan 5 - When he got the ball, seemed like he could be an attacking threat, would have prefered him to play up top
10. Reid 5 - Didnt really have a sniff and not sure he is going to start many games. Doesnt seem to have anything - not good in the air, not quick, doesnt seem that strong etc. Jury's out!
11. Straker 7 - again, thought he was very positive and is just like a new signing. Showed his versatility by dropping into the back 4. Didnt combine as well with Coker though.

SUBS:

Leonard: 6 - Put himself about. Think he will start again CM saturday.
Corr: 6 - Held the ball up well and was a threat in the box
Coker: 5 - Didnt show up anything like Saturday. Didnt link or really overlap like he did and most things he tried didnt come off.

I thought Conor Clifford looked very good. Completely 'bossed' the middle of the park considering in the first half he only had young Jack Payne besides him, reminds me of when Alan McCormack first came to the club.

Yea thought it was a bit flat overall after Saturdays excellent showing. We showed in patches the kind of style we are trying to achieve this season, then other times just lumped it to Reid who was never gonna win a header (and I dont think he did).

Disappointed we stayed 433 for so long. At our level, its more 451 as i dont think league 2 players have the attacking nous to really join in the attack like when teams such as Chelsea/Barca do it and it left Reid very isolated and a little unfair to judge him on that performance.

Also surprised we didnt throw Eastwood on and that Leonard came on for Timlin?

Anyways, for what its worth;

1. Bentley 6 - Thought he was a bit flat footed for the goal, kicking still erratic.
2. White 6 - Decent skippers performance but didnt get over the halfway line all night
3. Bennett 5 - Looked rusty as you'd expect, but I still think he's going to be a great acquisition for us.
4. Prosser 6 - Battled hard and dealt with most things
5. Phillps 5 - Struggled with Ngoo I thought.
6. Payne 6 - Offered some bright play initially, but faded as expected
7. Clifford 5 - Was really disappointed with him too be honest. Looked excellent v QPR but didnt really get on the ball at all
8. Atkinson 7 - Very good footballer, good feet and not afraid to run at players. Thought he was our pick
9. Cowan 5 - When he got the ball, seemed like he could be an attacking threat, would have prefered him to play up top
10. Reid 5 - Didnt really have a sniff and not sure he is going to start many games. Doesnt seem to have anything - not good in the air, not quick, doesnt seem that strong etc. Jury's out!
11. Straker 7 - again, thought he was very positive and is just like a new signing. Showed his versatility by dropping into the back 4. Didnt combine as well with Coker though.

SUBS:

Leonard: 6 - Put himself about. Think he will start again CM saturday.
Corr: 6 - Held the ball up well and was a threat in the box
Coker: 5 - Didnt show up anything like Saturday. Didnt link or really overlap like he did and most things he tried didnt come off.

I think your ratings are very harsh

ah well, all about opinions!

I thought we did ok as a team overall and still miles better than what i saw under sturrock, but indvidually I thought we battled hard but didnt have much quality in the end - hence the tempered ratings.

If we were miles better than under Sturrock what scores were you giving last season? 2's and 3's ? :smile:

I havent got my hopes up over this season at all. Been an SUFC fan for far too long to do that. But I was really encouraged last night. I thought the back 5 looked good, the midfield worked really hard and although we didnt show much going forward i wasnt that surprised when you consider it was Cowan and Reid's first starts, and the same for both Clifford and Payne. If we keep putting in that much effort and comittment i think we can have a good crack at making the play-offs.

UTB

If we were miles better than under Sturrock what scores were you giving last season? 2's and 3's ? :smile:

Pretty much! :hilarious:

I'm not a ratings scrooge, see my ratings from Saturday where I felt they warranted the performance.

Back