• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wages!

andrew_sthnd

Coach
With all the talk of players not wanting to come to Sufc due to wages (ie.Shaun Goater) I was just wondering if anyone knew what kind of wages the players at the club were on and how much shaun was asking for

According to Wiggy the players are all on peanuts.

The Goater transaction broke down because Ron Martin was unwilling to feed the Goat chilli nuts, and would only go as far as offering honey roast as a compromise.

Shaun Goater is bound to be on at least double what Ron Martin would be prepared to pay, which means that we could only offer him a contract if we got him for free - or - on loan with a view to sharing the wage he is on with the club he is contracted to.

I think our highest paid player will be on close to £2k/week, which will give you some idea of what we are up against.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ July 27 2005,12:36)]Shaun Goater is bound to be on at least double what Ron Martin would be prepared to pay, which means that we could only offer him a contract if we got him for free - or - on loan with a view to sharing the wage he is on with the club he is contracted to.

I think our highest paid player will be on close to £2k/week, which will give you some idea of what we are up against.
It was quoted that Goater was after £6800pw.

The average wage for League two players is 700- 1400 pw
SUFC mirror those figures.

Some players seem to think that the club will have to start hitting 2k PW for players to re sign after next season.

AB wants to stay after this season but also wants the club to look after him. He was offered more money to stay at Bristol Rovers and took a pay cut to come to us. He has proved what he can do and now wants to be looked after. Seems fair enough really but it will be interesting to see if the club can afford to look after him.

Lloyd Owusu was offered 1400 PW by us. Brentford came in and offered 2500PW. There is no way we can compete with that sort of money.
I say hats off to RM as I would much rather be playing League two or even conference football than having no Southend Utd at all because we went a bit silly one season on wages.

Ron Martin is obviously a clever man, and isn't willing to jepodise the future of the Club because he is chasing the dream of Championship or even Premier$hite football.

Incidently, whats the latest on the Adam Barrett situation? RM and ST wanted to offer him a new deal after his fantastic season, has the deal been offered?

One of the problems we face wages-wise is the FL's wage cap (which, incidentally, I agree with). This means that the clubs who can draw large crowds will have a bigger income and be able to spend more on players wages. Let's face it, in this division a 6,000 average will not be anywhere near what the top clubs regularly pull in, we have to compete with some of these for players and as the Owusu example shows, we have not got the budget to pay as much due to being in the league below on a reduced turnover.

Spot on Whatever.

Forest will be drawing in crowds in excess of 20,000 and we may average between 6,000 and 7,000 so we can't really compete with the likes of the Forest's of this world.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ July 27 2005,12:57)]Spot on Whatever.

Forest will be drawing in crowds in excess of 20,000 and we may average between 6,000 and 7,000 so we can't really compete with the likes of the Forest's of this world.
But we should be able to compete with Brentford (similar sized crowds) and other League One teams, with a few exceptions (eg Forest & Bristol City).

The key is to increase our turnover so that we can pay bigger wages. Perhaps a new ground would acheive this
rock.gif

which is exactly why ron has been working closely with brian wheeler to attract bigger crowds - attracting the youngsters which are the future of our club. being honest a few seasons back i didnt like ron but ever since the club has changed fortunes on the pitch he has acted sensibly and rationally which is just what we need. of course optimism is essential for success but i wouldnt change ron as chairman for anyone in the football league, he has done an excellent job over the past 1/2 years

I'll go along with that. I was a bit wary a few years ago, but he appears to have gone 'native' and our fortunes on and off the field have increased immensely.
We have a sensible structure in place and I do feel bringing in hungry young talent like those from Grays who are more interested in taking the chance and making a name for themselves, not just the wages is the way forward.
The prospect of Oli excites me more than Ferdinand, Goater or any experinced players.
Its so great to bring these players into the lime light, rather than sqeezing out the last drop of blood from a falling star.
The only 'mature' player that ever made me think twice was Ronnie Whelan. Class player for SUFC! Begrie being the only other player I can think of making a good impact in the lower leagues.

Agree I'd rather have the up and coming talent than the aging stars seeking a final pay day. People however forget that Spinner has played most of his football in the top flight. His signing was a real coup for this club and shows that the right experienced pro can be a real asset.

I'd also say that Rob Newman and a few others fall into that category.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimperman @ July 27 2005,13:15)]which is exactly why ron has been working closely with brian wheeler to attract bigger crowds - attracting the youngsters which are the future of our club. being honest a few seasons back i didnt like ron but ever since the club has changed fortunes on the pitch he has acted sensibly and rationally which is just what we need. of course optimism is essential for success but i wouldnt change ron as chairman for anyone in the football league, he has done an excellent job over the past 1/2 years
Agreed, and its great to see the club finally pulling out all the stops to attract new fans, particularly kids.

Shame Jobson didn't do this in the early 90s - we would have been reaping the benefits by now.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tonyc @ July 27 2005,13:46)]We have a sensible structure in place and I do feel bringing in hungry young talent like those from Grays who are more interested in taking the chance and making a name for themselves, not just the wages is the way forward.
The prospect of Oli excites me more than Ferdinand, Goater or any experinced players.
Its so great to bring these players into the lime light, rather than sqeezing out the last drop of blood from a falling star.
The only 'mature' player that ever made me think twice was Ronnie Whelan. Class player for SUFC! Begrie being the only other player I can think of making a good impact in the lower leagues.
Agree with that with just one reservation really... bringing in enthusiastic youth with bundles of energy is great, but you still need that bit of experience in every department just to ensure that the youngsters have someone to gain further experience from. We have that in defence and midfield in abundance, but not up front.
wink.gif

A "reliable source" recently informed me that the wage structure at Southend United ranges from about £300 per week through to around £1500 per week for the more senior players. The lower figure is quite pathetic ...

WS

i heard from a reliable source 2 months back that Super Cheese Wilson wanted more money to sign a new contract becuae he was only on 350 a week. i dont blame him stalling on signing a new contact on just over 18k a year, thats not a lot for a pro footballer. Adam barrett signed for us taking a pay cut from bristol rovers. he signed on 800 a week. he's better than wilson but that is a huge difference on a weekly wage.

i think maher must be on at least 1.5 k a week

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alex @ July 27 2005,18:35)]i heard from a reliable source 2 months back that Super Cheese Wilson wanted more money to sign a new contract becuae he was only on 350 a week. i dont blame him stalling on signing a new contact on just over 18k a year, thats not a lot for a pro footballer. Adam barrett signed for us taking a pay cut from bristol rovers. he signed on 800 a week. he's better than wilson but that is a huge difference on a weekly wage.

i think maher must be on at least 1.5 k a week
£350 a week basic, plus signing on fee (which in the past was enough to buy his beemer), plus appearance bonuses, plus win bonuses. Thats not bad for fourth rate (as we were last season) footballers.

I don't blame them for trying to negotiate a little bit more money and I don't blame Ron Martin for trying to keep their basic wage down and trying to increase the performance related aspect of their pay.

The fact is that we barely broke even last financial year, despite a (then) unprecedented cup final appearance and we are still about £8m in debt.

Bearing all this in mind I think Ron Martin has got his wage structure spot on.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ July 27 2005,17:27)]A "reliable source" recently informed me that the wage structure at Southend United ranges from about £300 per week through to around £1500 per week for the more senior players. The lower figure is quite pathetic ...

WS
That can't be first team though surely......?

It does make you realise though why some players aren't so quick to sign any contract thats put in front of them as people suggest they should be.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ July 27 2005,19:50)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ July 27 2005,17:27)]A "reliable source" recently informed me that the wage structure at Southend United ranges from about £300 per week through to around £1500 per week for the more senior players. The lower figure is quite pathetic ...

WS
That can't be first team though surely......?
I'm afraid it is ...

WS

Jesus.

As I said though, it makes you realise why some players don't jump at the chance to sign every contract. Particularly when you consider chances are they'll have to start doing something else for a living by their mid-30s.

Back