• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Unbeaten in the League in November for years, our unbeaten run continues.

Unbeaten in November since 2009 that is a fantastic 7 years..

The last time United were defeated in November was a 2 : 0 loss away against Tranmere Rovers on the 24th November 2009.

That is some 28 November games undefeated. :happy:

Last edited:
Match report: Walsall 0, Southend United 0

SOUTHEND United’s remarkable November record continued with a 0-0 draw at Walsall this afternoon – but the Shrimpers will be disappointed not to have won.

More...

Another great point on the road, but can't help thinking that we have dropped 4 in the last two games which could come back to haunt us at the end of the season.

That said, undefeated in November for 7 seasons.

We are possibly 1 or 2 signings away from a top 6 side if we are also fortunate with injuries. How much ambition the manager and chairman have will be put to the test when the window opens, if we are still within touching of the top six

Looked a stonewall pen!
To go to a place like Walsall and be slightly disappointed with a draw indicates how far we've come.
Well done boys, keep it up!

UTB!

Another great point on the road, but can't help thinking that we have dropped 4 in the last two games which could come back to haunt us at the end of the season.

That said, undefeated in November for 7 seasons.

We are possibly 1 or 2 signings away from a top 6 side if we are also fortunate with injuries. How much ambition the manager and chairman have will be put to the test when the window opens, if we are still within touching of the top six

Unbeaten in the last eight games and one point off the play offs if you're a glass full man like me.
Only ten points separating relegation from the play offs suggest how tight this league is.

Last edited:
Good result that. All our midfield is on top form at the moment which makes us look like a slick side. Was surprised Wordsworth was taken off - he was causing them problems with his unpredictability and I thought we lost that as soon as he went off.

Just home. Gutted, should have won, should have had three penalties. Much like Tuesday we dominated large chunks of the game, but our inability to finish teams off has cost us four points in the last two games. Ranger the biggest culprit today, but Demetriou, McLaughlin, Cox all wasted very good opportunities. Twice their keeper made good stops from Wordsworth. The stats don't lie, we should have driven home with all three points. We play some lovely one touch stuff in midfield / edge of the area and the Cox/ranger/Wordsworth trio work said excellently, but much of the good work is outside the box, we desperately need a poacher in and around the six yard box. But, that Is being ultra critical, today we were unlucky, got no help from the ref and on another day we would have won 2 or 3 nil. Run continues, very winnable game against Coventry next, still many positives to take. Well done to the 438 that travelled up, brilliant support throughout, never stopped singing.

Just home. Gutted, should have won, should have had three penalties. Much like Tuesday we dominated large chunks of the game, but our inability to finish teams off has cost us four points in the last two games. Ranger the biggest culprit today, but Demetriou, McLaughlin, Cox all wasted very good opportunities. Twice their keeper made good stops from Wordsworth. The stats don't lie, we should have driven home with all three points. We play some lovely one touch stuff in midfield / edge of the area and the Cox/ranger/Wordsworth trio work said excellently, but much of the good work is outside the box, we desperately need a poacher in and around the six yard box. But, that Is being ultra critical, today we were unlucky, got no help from the ref and on another day we would have won 2 or 3 nil. Run continues, very winnable game against Coventry next, still many positives to take. Well done to the 438 that travelled up, brilliant support throughout, never stopped singing.

This was the same on Tuesday, with McLaughlin, and as my mate pointed out, this seems to stem from the fact that they have played at a higher level and it does show. It should have a positive effect on the guys round them, and players like Leonard should improve even more.

This was the same on Tuesday, with McLaughlin, and as my mate pointed out, this seems to stem from the fact that they have played at a higher level and it does show. It should have a positive effect on the guys round them, and players like Leonard should improve even more.

Yes i agree, and I have no complaints. Some on the link up play is the best we have seen for years, but the last two games havnt seen the rewards this play deserves. The only concern I have is that we seem to be trying to walk the ball in at times. Today so many times we should have shot but pass. Ranger through on goal did all the hard work and when he should have shot and scored appeared to try and round the keeper and got taken down, it looked a penalty but not sure (we were too far away to see) . Point is as the keeper came out he should have slipped it past him in either corner. Love Cox and ranger and their play outside the box is top draw, but we need them to be more clinical (like at bury) more frequently

Thoroughly enjoyable match for a 0-0, played some really attractive football and were the dominant side albeit Walsall caused us issues with their quick breaks on the counter attack. It's nice coming away knowing the entire side has given their all and left everything out on the pitch.

Positives include Oxley who looks two or three levels above that man who started the season between the sticks. Ranger is an absolute gem although he desperately needs his fitness levels to kick on now, we need more than an hour from him, also if and when he gets more match fitness and gets 'that' yard of burst/pace he will be unstoppable.

Wordsworth's class keeps the midfield ticking over (such an important player for us) which is complemented by the work rate of Atkinson and Lenny. McLaughlin's threat and wide option provides us with almost the perfect midfield balance.

For me I think we are a poacher and a pacey forward away from being challengers for a promotion push (assuming this side started the campaign), Cox and Fortune both offer us options but it's maybe not quite what we need right now, especially on their wages.

Really good game of football for a 0-0 and another High level work rate by the lads. Lots of closing down high up the pitch first half and players out on their feet last 10.

At times it was end to end, so either team could have nicked it at the death. Yes we did over pass it a times but their keeper made good saves from McL and Woody first half. Two big penalty shouts, the first after a Stan like run from Ranger who should have shot earlier but when he went down, the ref bottled it because it did look like we would score from the rebound. I think the ref thought it would save him making a decision but it bobbled unkindly for us.

Ranger went through second half but should have kept the ball on his left foot. The defender was coming from behind his right shoulder and was allowed to get a good sliding tackle in. The second penalty was a blatant two handed shove which the 'assistant' had a perfect view of.

When the keeper saved McL's one-on-one after they gifted him the ball we knew it was one of those days we were never going to score.

My MOM would be Anton. Read the game really well and tidied up a lot of stuff without fuss. Like all good tradesmen he makes things look a lot easier than they are.

We could have had all 9 points this week and certainly deserved 7. But Can anyone remember a week when 3 games have been played to such a level and for the full 95 minutes on each occasion. Well done to players, staff and the fans....You have been a credit to our club.

Another positive note was for the Walsall fans, it was so refreshing to see Jason Demetriou get a rousing reception up at their end when he took a corner for us. Nice to see as that don't happen much nowadays

I thought we played really well yesterday, just didn't put away the chances. On another day we could have had 3 or 4. And it's not just a case of playing well, we actually look like a decent side. Some of the passing in the first half was very impressive, We look dangerous going forward and the defence looks solid, for me Ferdinand just looks quality. You do have to wonder how good Ranger will be when he's fully fit, for an hour yesterday he scared the life out of the Walsall defence, but towards the end he couldn't jump or even barely walk.

Special mention for Oxley who looks to be gaining confidence with every game. In some games he has worried me, but yesterday he really looked the part.

One final thing, and I really don't want to have a little moan, but sometimes some people either struggle to put their brains into gear or they just lack the basic life skills. Now the vast majority of our fans are absolutely spot on, but there were a few fans at Walsall, who irritated me with their lack of respect for others. I have no problem with people standing at the match for 90 minutes, no problem at all. But when if affects others trying to enjoy the game, it's not good.

I went to the game yesterday with my son is who 10 years old and suffers from Autism. We have to get to the games early so he can pick the seat he wants, it's just one of those things, he has to "feel right". When we got into the ground yesterday before 2pm and we sat where my son wanted to. At 3pm just as the match was kicking off about 20 lads thought it would a great idea just to stand directly in front of us, we couldn't see anything! My sons condition isn't the easiest to deal with, but he was okay if a little stressed out. I did ask a few of these lads if they could sit down, but I might as well have been talking to myself, they just have this blank look on their faces. I guess as long as they all look good in their Adidias trainers, then nothing else matters. We had to move and thankfully found somewhere my son was okay with. As I said before, I don't mind if people want to stand, but maybe just think about others too. However, I won't hold my breath.

One final thing, and I really don't want to have a little moan, but sometimes some people either struggle to put their brains into gear or they just lack the basic life skills. Now the vast majority of our fans are absolutely spot on, but there were a few fans at Walsall, who irritated me with their lack of respect for others. I have no problem with people standing at the match for 90 minutes, no problem at all. But when if affects others trying to enjoy the game, it's not good.

I went to the game yesterday with my son is who 10 years old and suffers from Autism. We have to get to the games early so he can pick the seat he wants, it's just one of those things, he has to "feel right". When we got into the ground yesterday before 2pm and we sat where my son wanted to. At 3pm just as the match was kicking off about 20 lads thought it would a great idea just to stand directly in front of us, we couldn't see anything! My sons condition isn't the easiest to deal with, but he was okay if a little stressed out. I did ask a few of these lads if they could sit down, but I might as well have been talking to myself, they just have this blank look on their faces. I guess as long as they all look good in their Adidias trainers, then nothing else matters. We had to move and thankfully found somewhere my son was okay with. As I said before, I don't mind if people want to stand, but maybe just think about others too. However, I won't hold my breath.

A word of advice, try and steer your son to a side if possible, people tend to stand more towards the middle in my experience. I understand how difficult this must have been for you yesterday.

Back