• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
Easy to forget we still have 5 games to play despite our season being over!

Walsall will be desperately trying to catch up with Burton in the hope that they slip up, and I expect them to walk all over us given our performances of late. That said, we do seem to turn up against the big teams.

I'd go:
Bentley,
O'Neill, Thompson, Barrett, Coker,
Worrall, Leonard, Deegan, McLaughlin,
Payne, Barnett

But I suspect it'll be:
Bentley,
Worrall, Thompson, Barrett, Coker, McLaughlin,
Atkinson, Deegan, Leonard,
Payne,
Barnett

Strong case for Ted to start as well if he's recovered from his injury.

I suspect that your second pick will be nearer to the starting eleven. I would like to see Piotr Malarczyk given a start. I just don't understand why PB brings a player in on loan and then doesn'tt give him playing time. It's not as if we have been watertight at the back this season.

True, but let's have a "look-see" at least.....no harm done; if he impresses, sign him up, if not release him to play elsewhere surely.
IMO I think/hope he is being held onto as a potential regular for next season....pending traditional end of season clear out of waifs and strays :unsure:

Chris Phillips wrote on Facebook earlier that he had been hearing that Piotr hadn't been impressing in training. Although he did concede you can't always tell how good someone is just from training. However if someone is working hard and someone else isn't, the manager is going to pick the grafter.

It's an odd one for me, will Ipswich be happy he's just sitting on the bench? Don't think I would be in their position.

I'd like to see us go back to a flat back four for this:

Bentley
White, Thompson, Barrett, Coker
Worrall, Leonard, Deegan, McLaughlin
Payne, Barnett

It appears that PB has fired the oppo up ;

" Boss Jon Whitney plans to use Phil Brown’s words against him when Walsall host Southend tomorrow. The Saddlers enter the clash looking to build on their impressive performance in Tuesday’s 2-1 win at Gillingham – significantly boosting their hopes of winning automatic promotion.Last week, Shrimpers manager Brown sparked controversy when on television he claimed Walsall were dropping 'like a stone.'
He backtracked on the comments yesterday, when he described the Saddlers win at Gillingham as one of “the best performances I have seen this year.”
But Whitney still believes the criticism will motivate his players, saying: "What Phil said will be a motivator for us.
“Dropping like a stone? We’re third in the league, five points off second and with a game in hand – if that’s dropping like a stone in the dictionary then he can use that term.
“But I couldn’t find it in the dictionary. But I know Phil. Sometimes you look back at interviews, reflect and it wasn’t really what you meant to say.Having been so impressive in their victory against Justin Edinburgh’s Gills earlier in the week, Whitney admits his players can’t wait to return to action.
The interim chief continued: "We are simmering at the moment – we wish we could kick-off today but we can’t.
“The players want to be back out there but what we have to do is keep them simmering and not let them get too carried away.”
Whitney is hoping to have Tom Bradshaw (groin) and James O’Connor (calf) in contention for tomorrow’s clash.

So they are chomping at the bit and our away stats are worrying ;

In their last 20 away games against teams positioned above them in the table, Southend have won 3, drawn 9 and lost 8 of these matches.

So they are chomping at the bit and our away stats are worrying ;

In their last 20 away games against teams positioned above them in the table, Southend have won 3, drawn 9 and lost 8 of these matches.

No worries. Although they were one of the best sides I have seen at Roots Hall, I confidently predict that we will not do the obvious, and instead we will give them a tanking.

I suspect that your second pick will be nearer to the starting eleven. I would like to see Piotr Malarczyk given a start. I just don't understand why PB brings a player in on loan and then doesn'tt give him playing time. It's not as if we have been watertight at the back this season.

Malarczyk was just brought in as back-up after Bolger left. But yes there'd be no harm in giving him a game.

I can see Walsall winning this one comfortably. Our recent away performances (Barnsley aside) have been woeful and Walsall have a lot more to play for. Would like to see Smith start in goal if he's fit.

The team that turned up against Barnsley and Sheffield United will give Warsaw a good game.

The team that turned up for Blackpool and Rochdale will give the Southend supporters a sour face.

What's that I hear you say?

The same players and the same formation leads to a completely different outcome. Exactly. :'(

Looking forward to this encounter to determine if we have made any real progress this season.
A settled team would have helped but for various reasons we invariably have changes.
Walsall were tough at Roots Hall and I guess they will be even harder to deal with in their backyard.

Bentley
White thompson barrett coker
Worrall leonard deegan mccaughlin
Payne
Barnett

Bexon piotr hurst atkinson mcqueen loza bridge

2-1 blues

How about that then?

About 2 hours before the game starts and just 1 page of comments and posts. That about sums it up I think.

This was a game I had pencilled in for a visit when the fixtures came out but today I couldn't find the enthusiasm to travel. :'(

I hope we go back to our solid approach towards away games which made us really hard to beat. Since the turn of the year PB has done what the moaners want and lined up attacking which has left us way to open when away from Roots Hall.

Back