• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ref Watch .... Walsall

Mick

Life President
Premiership referee, Rob Styles from Hampshire takes charge of Saturday's match against Walsall. A referee who needs no introduction whatsoever and one from whom controversy is never far away. He has a recent history of nonsensical penalty awards (yes, much worse than last Saturday's) and match defining mistakes. Despite his arrogant attitude, he is almost a good referee but otherwise okay performances seem to be let down by too many crass errors.

A FIFA referee since 2002, he refereed the Cup Final in 2005.

Has refereed Southend loads of times including the distant dismissal of Nathan Jones for diving, before diving became fashionable. Most recent appearance at Roots Hall was a very accomplished performance against Plymouth a couple of years back. Just after that he also refereed the Tottenham Cup game - and gave us a penalty.

His Select Group assistants are Steve Rubery (noted for some "daylight rubery" decisions where he has flagged for goals that weren't and missed blatant offsides) from Ilford and the only slightly better Martin Yerby from Kent. Rubery also sent off Tes Bramble in a reserve match at Roots Hall a while back.

Fourth official is the very reasonable, mainly Championship, referee Phil Crossley. Not sure why when it's a Select Group referee the fourth official has to be a proper referee, but when it's anyone else they use a nonentity plucked from the Supply Leagues.

Can't say I remember the Plymouth game, but went to the Spurs one and he was OK. I think it's only in the last 18 months or so that he's really gone to pot.

He's a t**t and he will spoil the game I'm sure. An arrogant, useless, high and mighty t**t.

I seem to remember him having a cheeky smirk and perv over the BlueBelles last time he came to the Hall.

We might say he's awful but how often do we get FIFA class referees at Roots Hall?

We had him at Stamford Bridge, and I actually thought he did OK.

Attwell is an inexperienced referee who has been promoted too far, too quickly and has trouble commanding respect from the players.

He is a good referee of easy matches but when things get tricky he is found wanting.

Rob Stiles is not a bad ref but always wants to be star of the show , odds on to do something controversial on saturday .

Attwell is an inexperienced referee who has been promoted too far, too quickly and has trouble commanding respect from the players.

He is a good referee of easy matches but when things get tricky he is found wanting.

I wouldn't disagree with that assessment - us at Chelsea wasn't a particularly tough fixture to referee.

I think that he is going to struggle to command respect from players having been involved in such a high-profile decision as the 'goal' at Watford and given his age. He certainly wasn't dealt any favours when he was immediately handed the Derby-Forest televised clash after that game, which is always a tense affair likely to flare up (which it duly did, of course).

However, it probably hints at a desperation to find competant young referees for the Select Group that he has been promoted so quickly.

Premiership referee, Rob Styles from Hampshire takes charge of Saturday's match against Walsall. A referee who needs no introduction whatsoever and one from whom controversy is never far away. He has a recent history of nonsensical penalty awards (yes, much worse than last Saturday's) and match defining mistakes. Despite his arrogant attitude, he is almost a good referee but otherwise okay performances seem to be let down by too many crass errors.

A FIFA referee since 2002, he refereed the Cup Final in 2005.

Has refereed Southend loads of times including the distant dismissal of Nathan Jones for diving, before diving became fashionable. Most recent appearance at Roots Hall was a very accomplished performance against Plymouth a couple of years back. Just after that he also refereed the Tottenham Cup game - and gave us a penalty.

His Select Group assistants are Steve Rubery (noted for some "daylight rubery" decisions where he has flagged for goals that weren't and missed blatant offsides) from Ilford and the only slightly better Martin Yerby from Kent. Rubery also sent off Tes Bramble in a reserve match at Roots Hall a while back.

Fourth official is the very reasonable, mainly Championship, referee Phil Crossley. Not sure why when it's a Select Group referee the fourth official has to be a proper referee, but when it's anyone else they use a nonentity plucked from the Supply Leagues.

hopefully these are in our favour sat.
why select group for this game,is it because every certain amount of games???

He's a t**t and he will spoil the game I'm sure. An arrogant, useless, high and mighty t**t.

I seem to remember him having a cheeky smirk and perv over the BlueBelles last time he came to the Hall.

I hope you'd like to retract that.

A first class display from Styles and his assistants, I don't think they got a decision wrong today.

And a top class effort by fat boy Ricketts in getting himself sent off.

I hope you'd like to retract that.

A first class display from Styles and his assistants, I don't think they got a decision wrong today.

And a top class effort by fat boy Ricketts in getting himself sent off.

I spend every week screaming abuse at the incompetent officials, and today I cant remember having to wipe the spit off anyones head in front !
That suggests to me Mr Styles had a pretty good game !

agree. good referreeing display today! booked people when they needed booking...including the macca one...dunno how he could complain about that. top ref for a change

I thought he did well, he let the game flow for the first 14 minutes and then he didn't have to act until a tangle in the middle escalated into Ricketts being a numpty.

What a change to see a ref down here who let the game unfold aroound him and not wanting to be the focal point all the time.

Mr Styles has my complete backing for the manner and accuracy of his decisions today. :clap:

Last edited:
Back