• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wanted

RobM.

Manager
Wanted - sponsor to buy Kevin Maher a big bag of gobstoppers.

Why does he keep getting cards for dissent? A referee will NEVER change his mind - fact!
wow.gif

Whilst I realise that it's frustrating watching Maher receive caution after caution for dissent, but can I suggest that it simply highlights the fact that our captain is showing a bit of passion for the club and for the game, something that a few other members of the squad might need to appreciate?

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Aug. 22 2004,15:49)]Whilst I realise that it's frustrating watching Maher receive caution after caution for dissent, but can I suggest that it simply highlights the fact that our captain is showing a bit of passion for the club and for the game, something that a few other members of the squad might need to appreciate?

WS
Bloody armchair fans!
biggrin.gif

Sorry, deckchair fans.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Aug. 22 2004,15:49)]Whilst I realise that it's frustrating watching Maher receive caution after caution for dissent, but can I suggest that it simply highlights the fact that our captain is showing a bit of passion for the club and for the game, something that a few other members of the squad might need to appreciate?

WS
I dont understand how Maher shouting obscenities at the ref is any different from the fans doing it at the team, except then everbody (myself included) say this is bad as it does not motivate etc.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jro @ Aug. 22 2004,17:40)]I dont understand how Maher shouting obscenities at the ref is any different from the fans doing it at the team, except then everbody (myself included) say this is bad as it does not motivate etc.
I think there's probably a subtle difference though. I don't condone Maher getting carried away with the dissent - it's in his very nature as a player anyway - but I'm pretty sure he's not calling the referee a "f**king useless c**t" as he'd be off the field pretty darn quick.

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hawkwell Blue @ Aug. 22 2004,16:55)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jávea Shrimper @ Aug. 22 2004,15:49)]Whilst I realise that it's frustrating watching Maher receive caution after caution for dissent, but can I suggest that it simply highlights the fact that our captain is showing a bit of passion for the club and for the game, something that a few other members of the squad might need to appreciate?

WS
Bloody armchair fans!
biggrin.gif

Sorry, deckchair fans.
errr ... reclining sunbed, please!

WS

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jávea Shrimper @ Aug. 22 2004,15:49)]Whilst I realise that it's frustrating watching Maher receive caution after caution for dissent, but can I suggest that it simply highlights the fact that our captain is showing a bit of passion for the club and for the game, something that a few other members of the squad might need to appreciate?

WS
I'd like to agree with you Mike but sadly can't.  Showing dissent doesn't mean passion, it means disrespect for the man in the middle.  Driving the team forward and demanding an additional effort shows passion.

If he was that concerned about the team he would surely think that we play better with him in it; using that logic again surely he would think that the best way of staying in it would be to not get suspended?

That's his 2nd (?) booking this season.

The incident yesterday was NOTHING to do with him at all.  The ref had made his decision, and actually took a few minutes out to discuss it with Maher, as he should with the team captain.  The matter seemed to have closed, and there was no intention to book him.  Maher walked away, the ref raised his arm and signalled for the kick to be taken, yet Kev can't leave it, oh no, he's got to keep chipping away.  The ref then lowers his arm, calls Maher over and books him.

The thing is he has done this for SEVEN YEARS!!!   He just does not learn.  What sort of captains example is that to set for the youngsters?

Sorry, but that was a pretty stupid thing to do.

Personally I hope Maher got booked for calling the ref a **** end. That's what I would have said and well worth a yellow card in my opinion.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Aug. 22 2004,18:31)]That's his 2nd (?) booking this season.

Third. Cheltenham and Rochdale were the other two. Incidentally I make yesterday's caution as his 59th booking of his career.

I agree it was a stupid thing to do; I'm really not trying to defend him even though it appears that way. But I can appreciate that frustration tends to boil over at times. Maher just needs to learn to control it whilst maintaining his obvious level of passion for the club and the game ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Aug. 22 2004,18:31)]
[b said:

WS
I'd like to agree with you Mike but sadly can't.  Showing dissent doesn't mean passion, it means disrespect for the man in the middle.  Driving the team forward and demanding an additional effort shows passion.

If he was that concerned about the team he would surely think that we play better with him in it; using that logic again surely he would think that the best way of staying in it would be to not get suspended?

That's his 2nd (?) booking this season.

The incident yesterday was NOTHING to do with him at all.  The ref had made his decision, and actually took a few minutes out to discuss it with Maher, as he should with the team captain.  The matter seemed to have closed, and there was no intention to book him.  Maher walked away, the ref raised his arm and signalled for the kick to be taken, yet Kev can't leave it, oh no, he's got to keep chipping away.  The ref then lowers his arm, calls Maher over and books him.

The thing is he has done this for SEVEN YEARS!!!   He just does not learn.  What sort of captains example is that to set for the youngsters?

Well said FBM.Your view of the booking is as most other peoples and Maher got a yellow for constant back chat !
I wish he put as much vocal effort into getting the team going as he does in having a go at the ref !

Give the armband to Spencer.

mad.gif

To be fair to Maher the ref was a joke yesterday and if I was Maher I would have done the same. However, he does need to stop getting booked for dissent otherwise he's going to get suspended every month!

I think Maher had something like 12 bookings last season... now, if he already has 3 bookings in only 4 games! he'll almost certainly be serving a suspension before September is out and if Tilson is true to his word, Maher will also be fined.

I think it is fair to say that the captaincy is the issue here and maybe he doesn't handle the extra responsibility too well when the heat is on... therefore, if he racks up five bookings so early into the season, then the armband could very well go to one of the other senior statesmen.

wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]therefore, if he racks up five bookings so early into the season, then the armband could very well go to one of the other senior statesmen.

Works for me...

I suppose the sooner he gets to 5 the sooner he gets suspended and the sooner we get to play with someone who can go FORWARDS...

It's a part of his game that he has to seriously address. He has every right to question the ref on decisions, but it's obviously the way he's asking thats getting him in the book.

Although if he does get suspended, fine by me.Perhaps we'll have a forward thinking, attack minded central midfield partnership for once.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Aug. 23 2004,12:18)]Drewe showed more passion than Maher yet never chatted back to the ref.
because he knows better and doesn't want a yellow, whereas Maher seems to go in full steam first, then think about his actions later ( when in the Stands serving a suspension )

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ Aug. 23 2004,12:21)]It's a part of his game that he has to seriously address. He has every right to question the ref on decisions, but it's obviously the way he's asking thats getting him in the book.
I think it's just the way he doesn't know when to stop. On Saturday, after the free-kick was given he seemed to explain his point of view to the ref, which, as captain, is his job - sticking up for his team-mates. However, having expressed that opinion, he then carried on chatting back, even doing so as he was running away and he kick was about to be taken. It was then that the ref pulled him back and showed him the card.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimpboy @ Aug. 22 2004,21:24)]To be fair to Maher the ref was a joke yesterday and if I was Maher I would have done the same. However, he does need to stop getting booked for dissent otherwise he's going to get suspended every month!
I though the ref was a lot better than the dross and whistle show offs we usually get. Maher was told many times and you could see the ref giving all the hand signals to keep quiet and go away. Even on his final warning Maher could clearly be seen walking away back chatting. the ref had no choice IMHO.

Trouble is his obvious stand in Prior has picked a couple of booking a long the way as well i thinks !

The one he got on Saturday for taking out their number 10 with the highlights and Drews Cardiff boots was quality !

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Back