• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

WG14

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ July 23 2004,11:06)]keep it up! it's exciting to hear how well a former player is doing at a club way down in the depths of the Ryman League.
Why, how is Ben Abbey getting on Naps...?

rock.gif

I still don't get it. Belgrave was as indolent as he was arrogant.

Nothing to see here, let's move on...

ghostface.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ July 23 2004,12:18)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ July 23 2004,11:06)]keep it up! it's exciting to hear how well a former player is doing at a club way down in the depths of the Ryman League.

rock.gif

I still don't get it.  Belgrave was as indolent as he was arrogant.

Nothing to see here, let's move on...

ghostface.gif

Matt
My tongue was very firmly dans la bouche.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ July 23 2004,12:25)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ July 23 2004,12:18)]
[b said:
My tongue was very firmly dans la bouche.
Oui, j'ai compris ça... hence the reference to Ben Abbey.

wink.gif

The rest of my post was an exasperated act, metaphorically throwing the arms into the air, and wondering aloud why the f*** this WG14 character is continuing to reach kleenex levels of excitement about one of the biggest wastes of space I've ever seen at Roots Hall.

rock.gif

Matt

am i not allowed to like the player or something. All i have to say is that there are alot of people at Yeovil, SUFC, Farnborough and Lewes that would disagree with you. I am entitled to my point of view.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ July 23 2004,12:51)]am i not allowed to like the player or something.  All i have to say is that there are alot of people at Yeovil, SUFC, Farnborough and Lewes that would disagree with you.  I am entitled to my point of view.
Of course you are. And I'm entitled to mine.

But I think you'll find very few at Southend or Plymouth who would agree with you. I have one friend of mine in the South Upper who thought he was the beez-neez. She also thinks Darryl's brilliant as well

There's probably some sort of bizarre psychological connection there... because I have two-dozen other SUFC mates, all of whom feel that Belgrave was hugely overrated and had an attitude which, towards the end of his club career, stank; and who feel that Darryl is also deeply overrated and who had a very poor season last year because he had no competition for the #1 jersey.

So, on another analysis, Bazza's a good non-league player. Good luck to him.

Why do we keep having to obsess about him on these boards, that's all I ask?

rock.gif

Matt

Matt it's because this message board is called EX-SHRIMPERS.

Your friend can obviously spot talent. Do you not think bazza's attitude changed because of the way newman treated him.

how would you liked to be left to rot in the reserves and train with the youth team when you know you are better than alot of the other first team players. Think about it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ July 23 2004,13:21)]how would you liked to be left to rot in the reserves and train with the youth team when you know you are better than alot of the other first team players.  Think about it.
How Newman treated Bazza is irrelevant - he is and was the master of his own destiny. You could say that Dave Morley was unfairly treated by Dave Webb when Webby relegated him to the reserves and then shipped him off to bottom of the league Carlisle.

Did Morley sit around and sulk? Nope. He bust a gut, and is now enjoying his football in a division above that in which Southend finds itself, with Donny Rovers. And damn good luck to him, he has my sincere respect for the fact that he didn't let his disappointment here ruin his career.

It is a shame that you cannot say anything like the same for Belgrave.

Bazza had two options: sit on his arse and sulk, or bust a gut and either play his way into the 1st team, or into another league club.

He chose the former route, and I'm afraid that speaks volumes about him.

Genius is, as Thomas Edison said, 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

It's a shame Bazza didn't bear that in mind when turning out one of the most scandalous performances (if one can call it that) this club has ever seen from a player in the Essex Senior Cup semi-final a couple of years ago.

"Knowing" you're better means nothing, absolutely nothing. You have to prove you're better, and he didn't. I wouldn't mind a bit if he were making me eat my words by banging the goals in for one of our Div 3 or Div 2 rivals. But he's not. He's playing for Lewes.

And that, I'm afraid, speaks more eloquently about Bazza's shortcomings than I ever could.

He may have talked the talk when it came to his "talents", but unquestionably, and beyond the merest scintilla of a doubt, he totally and utterly failed to walk the walk - for us or any other league club.

And that, sir, is why I can't get excited about him, because Southend United - our football club - has no room for passengers... which is, I'm afraid, what Barrington was.

BTW, my mate can't spot talent. She's barking. I love her to bits, but she's as daft as a brush.

tounge.gif

Matt

P.S. I know that this is an ex-Shrimpers board, but with the amount of verbal onanism that centres around Mr. Belgrave, you'd think this was a "Barrington Board"...

wow.gif
ghostface.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ July 23 2004,14:24)]And that, I'm afraid, speaks more eloquently about Bazza's shortcomings than I ever could.
Although you appear to be giving it a pretty good go!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ July 23 2004,14:33)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ July 23 2004,14:24)]And that, I'm afraid, speaks more eloquently about Bazza's shortcomings than I ever could.
Although you appear to be giving it a pretty good go!
Ah well, it's ages since I penned a verbose diatribe on these boards. After all, I don't like to disappoint my fans...

wink.gif
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ July 23 2004,14:24)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ July 23 2004,13:21)]how would you liked to be left to rot in the reserves and train with the youth team when you know you are better than alot of the other first team players.  Think about it.
How Newman treated Bazza is irrelevant - he is and was the master of his own destiny.  You could say that Dave Morley was unfairly treated by Dave Webb when Webby relegated him to the reserves and then shipped him off to bottom of the league Carlisle.

Did Morley sit around and sulk?  Nope.  He bust a gut, and is now enjoying his football in a division above that in which Southend finds itself, with Donny Rovers.  And damn good luck to him, he has my sincere respect for the fact that he didn't let his disappointment here ruin his career.

It is a shame that you cannot say anything like the same for Belgrave.

Bazza had two options: sit on his arse and sulk, or bust a gut and either play his way into the 1st team, or into another league club.

He chose the former route, and I'm afraid that speaks volumes about him.

Genius is, as Thomas Edison said, 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

It's a shame Bazza didn't bear that in mind when turning out one of the most scandalous performances (if one can call it that) this club has ever seen from a player in the Essex Senior Cup semi-final a couple of years ago.

"Knowing" you're better means nothing, absolutely nothing.  You have to prove you're better, and he didn't.  I wouldn't mind a bit if he were making me eat my words by banging the goals in for one of our Div 3 or Div 2 rivals.  But he's not.  He's playing for Lewes.

And that, I'm afraid, speaks more eloquently about Bazza's shortcomings than I ever could.

He may have talked the talk when it came to his "talents", but unquestionably, and beyond the merest scintilla of a doubt, he totally and utterly failed to walk the walk - for us or any other league club.

And that, sir, is why I can't get excited about him, because Southend United - our football club - has no room for passengers... which is, I'm afraid, what Barrington was.

BTW, my mate can't spot talent.  She's barking.  I love her to bits, but she's as daft as a brush.

tounge.gif

Matt

P.S. I know that this is an ex-Shrimpers board, but with the amount of verbal onanism that centres around Mr. Belgrave, you'd think this was a "Barrington Board"...

wow.gif

ghostface.gif
Did you have that cigar/tot of woods yesterday like I suggested?
wink.gif
If you did, I think you're due another!
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ July 23 2004,15:12)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ July 23 2004,14:51)]Did you have that cigar/tot of woods yesterday like I suggested?  
wink.gif
If you did, I think you're due another!  
cool.gif
Nope, but I may tonight!

tounge.gif
Top Man!
biggrin.gif

cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ July 23 2004,14:57)]I just hope Bazza proves you wrong.
Fair enough. On that I can agree with you. Nothing makes me happier than having to take humble pie when a sportsman about whom I've had doubts proves me totally wrong.

I was moaning to a mate about Robert Key being picked for England, for example... but Key has proved me spectacularly wrong by hitting 221 in the first innings against the Windies, one of the top 5 Test scores against the Windies by an Englishman in the entire history of cricket.

Fair damn play to him - I am delighted to admit I was a fool and totally wrong.

No one likes seeing a sportsman fail as a result of an absence of common sense rather than an absence of talent. We've had our fair share of them at Roots Hall - none more so than Stanley Victor, whose career will (when compared to the unparalleled riches of talent he had in his boots) ultimately be seen as a failure. And Bazza seems to lack the nous he will need if he is to forge a career in the League.

But if he finds that gumption, somehow, and starts scoring aplenty in the leagues, then I shall doff my cap to him and happily admit that I was wrong.

I shall not, however, be holding my breath in anticipation of such an event. Sorry about that.

sad.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ July 23 2004,14:24)]It's a shame Bazza didn't bear that in mind when turning out one of the most scandalous performances (if one can call it that) this club has ever seen from a player in the Essex Senior Cup semi-final a couple of years ago.
Totally agree. Belgrave's performance against Chelmsford City was by far the most disgraceful performance I and many others have ever seen from someone wearing the shirt of Southend United and it's no wonder that he was at the receiving of a huge barrage of abuse at the end of the game.

If Belgrave was stuck in the reserves then he should have worked out just why he was languishing there (sh*te performances and sh*te attitude would have been good for starters) and then worked damn hard to get himself back into the first team. This we are seeing from Flahavan who, realising that his career may well stagnate once again, has apparently worked on his weaknesses in order to battle his way into contention for the number one spot between the sticks. And good on him. I may not be his biggest fan but that's the attitude I prefer to see. Unlike Belgrave's ...

WS

Back