• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What’s your take on banning fireworks?

Ban them from public use?

• Total voters
"Maybe you should stop peeping into other peoples cars, and keep your eyes on the road? "

Maybe I walk?

All fireworks to be sold (organised or otherwise) with a council licence per firework

The number of licences issued by the council to be assessed at street level, directly linked to the number of un attended dog poos and dead birds in the area in the previous 10 months.

That way Consideration is reciprocated

All fireworks to be sold (organised or otherwise) with a council licence per firework

The number of licences issued by the council to be assessed at street level, directly linked to the number of un attended dog poos and dead birds in the area in the previous 10 months.

That way Consideration is reciprocated

Carte blanche for November and December then

I don't buy fireworks and only attend organised shows.

However I wouldn't let the fact that some people choose to own animals prevent me from exercising my right to do whatever I want to do which may at some point include drunken late night fireworks parties.

Obviously show a bit of consideration but your animal, your problem.

If police dogs can be trained to jump through hoops of fire there is no excuse for responsible pet owners not to prepare their animals for UK life.

Absolutely, personal freedom is essential. That is why I have a perfect right to come and stand outside your house randomly making unasked for loud sounds at all times of the day or night, or to use flashing lights and any sort of sounds to reduce you and yours to terrified wrecks for days on end, or for me and my dog walking chums to have a mass barkathon outside your house whenever we choose. Back off Brussels!

After the Grenfell half an Inquiry there will be some very nervous LFB crews out and about tonight.

Personally I always admired the skill and accuracy of the local youths, when we came under fire.

I don't buy fireworks and only attend organised shows.

However I wouldn't let the fact that some people choose to own animals prevent me from exercising my right to do whatever I want to do which may at some point include drunken late night fireworks parties.

Obviously show a bit of consideration but your animal, your problem.

If police dogs can be trained to jump through hoops of fire there is no excuse for responsible pet owners not to prepare their animals for UK life.
The odd smoke bomb or grenade lobbed into the kennel should keep them comfortable and alert for Bonger night.

We have a half-hearted compromise system here in Oregon that doesn't really work either. You can only buy small fireworks legally, and the city puts on a free display on July 4th that is very impressive, using fireworks that the general public can't buy. The trouble is, you can pop across the state line to Washington or Idaho where you can buy pretty much anything you want, or even better, go to the Indian reservation and get a mortar round on a stick. It would be easier to enforce in England, obviously, but some people will be pricks whatever the law is.

Read an article on twitter earlier - but ****ed if I can find it now - about how combat veterans suffering with PTSD, can be deeply affected by fireworks, to the point it can trigger anxiety and severe panic attacks.

Read an article on twitter earlier - but ****ed if I can find it now - about how combat veterans suffering with PTSD, can be deeply affected by fireworks, to the point it can trigger anxiety and severe panic attacks.
Autistic people struggle too.

After the Grenfell half an Inquiry there will be some very nervous LFB crews out and about tonight.

Personally I always admired the skill and accuracy of the local youths, when we came under fire.

I’m going slightly off topic, but I've never understood the fascination with trying to disrupt/hurt/maim the emergency services.

Takes a special kind of **** to do that really.

What about the people with pets that live in close proximity to areas where large public displays are taking place, sometimes right on the property boundary? Should those shows that go on continuously for up to ten to fifteen minutes be banned also? And if not, why not? Big display organized by your local Rotary Club potentially upsetting quite a few pets living close by or a few friends over in your back garden. What's the difference? Both distress animals.

If the sole case for banning fireworks is the distress they cause some animals then surely ALL should be banned, or does the fact that it's an organized display mitigate the fact that poor Ruby the Chihuahua at No16, whose garden backs on to public playing fields, has had a meltdown? It seems to me to be slightly hypocritical to want one banned and not the other.

Personally, they do nothing for me and I have no pets so I couldn't care less :D

What about the people with pets that live in close proximity to areas where large public displays are taking place, sometimes right on the property boundary? Should those shows that go on continuously for up to ten to fifteen minutes be banned also? And if not, why not?
Big display organized by your local Rotary Club potentially upsetting quite a few pets living close by or a few friends over in your back garden. What's the difference? Both distress animals.

If the sole case for banning fireworks is the distress they cause some animals then surely ALL should be banned, or does the fact that it's an organized display mitigate the fact that poor Ruby the Chihuahua at No16, whose garden backs on to public playing fields, has had a meltdown? It seems to me to be slightly hypocritical to want one banned and not the other.

Personally, they do nothing for me and I have no pets so I couldn't care less :D

Regarding shows & events, It’s simple really. A pre-planned show, would be advertised accordingly, therefore giving the owner a chance to put measures into place to protect the welfare of their animal. Such as, taking them elsewhere for the evening, to friends, family etc. far away from the displays.

Whereas, the difference when having friends/family over to have some fireworks in the back garden, is that it will largely come without warning.

Look, replace the term pets, with, children who suffer from the loudness of these things. Or a former soldier who suffers win PTSD. Does it still seem fair, that they are forced to sit in their own home, shaking uncontrollably, panicking with anxiety, just because the next door neighbour, wanted to have his friends over, to let off some rockets?

Also, FWIW, I wouldn’t mind seeing them banned full stop, if it meant thousands of people & animals didn’t have to suffer the trauma & distress. The idea of limiting them to displays and shows, is a compromise. It allows people to still enjoy fireworks, whilst giving those who don’t, every opportunity to avoid them.

Back