• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What are you having for lunch? (rolling thread)

Went to meet friends for a birthday celebration lunch at Cafe Max on the High Road in Benfleet. Fancied the sound of the special of the day, which was listed as an "open toastie" with spinach, mushrooms, brie and chilli sauce, with chips. Was most delish!

A very tasty portion of chips from Fish Dish and a Kelly's of Cornwall blackcurrant and cream ice cream on Felixstowe seafront.

McCain frozen jacket potato (microwaved)

I am very particular about my potatoes and this is too floury.

That said I was hungry so ate two. I am hoping there are no Brian Harvey type side effects.

Last edited:
Yesterday as it was a leaving lunch, I had vegetarian Moussaka. I ate so much I didn't have an evening meal.....

4 Mackerel fillets ( 2 fish ) from Morrisons, for £1.25p with 2 slices of farmhouse bread & butter.
Got them yesterday 1/2 price as the date was 'use by today', but believe me, they are still fine up to 2 days after.

4 Mackerel fillets ( 2 fish ) from Morrisons, for £1.25p with 2 slices of farmhouse bread & butter.
Got them yesterday 1/2 price as the date was 'use by today', but believe me, they are still fine up to 2 days after.
Good when you get a deal like that.Your right lot of foods still ok when date just passed

Good when you get a deal like that.Your right lot of foods still ok when date just passed

Until 7 years ago, used to do a lot of deep sea fishing off Whitby in North Yorks, & got to know a few Trawler skippers.
They told me Trawlers were out at sea for max of 20 days, & as long as they kept their catch hosed with iced sea water, it was still classed as fresh when they got back to Port.
Obviously after it was brought by Retailers, Fishmongers etc, the 'sell by' date was only a few days, but it was still classed as fresh.
* If you ever go to buy 'fresh fish' in a Supermarket or where-ever, look at the fish eyes. If they look bloodshot, don't buy it.*

Did my usual at Morrisons yesterday, brought a pack of 2 manx kippers for £1.15 as they were 'use by today'.
Had them today with farmhouse bread & butter, booootiful!.

Some really odd looking pears from my back garden (amongst other things). Taste lovely though. They'd never make the gilded shelves of Aldi or Lidl.

A Swordfish steak from Morrisons. Yep you've guessed it, brought it yesterday for £2 instead of £4, as it was a 'use by today' yesterday!!.
Thanks Morrison's, you save me a fortune buying fish, because of your reduced prices on the day ' use by'.
Interestingly I never see reduced fish prices for the day of eating at Asda's & Sainsbury's. Wonder if they just bin them, or have better control on the amount they initially order, so don't end up selling them cheap?.

Having got up at 5am for the Leigh Station Boot Sale today ( good decision ignoring the Weather forecast ), I arrived back famished.
Had a Blue Vinney ( cheese you can only buy in Dorset ) sandwich for lunch. Dear me, something else!.
Any of you ever get to Dorset, bring some Blue Vinney back with you.

2 Blue Vinny cheese sarnies, which is quite strong with a lovely aftertaste. I brought some back from Bridport, & was told as it's a Dorset produced cheese, it cant be purchased in any other County?.
Must admit I've had a look around Deli's in this area & in Morrisons, Asda's etc, & have yet to find any.

2 Blue Vinny cheese sarnies, which is quite strong with a lovely aftertaste. I brought some back from Bridport, & was told as it's a Dorset produced cheese, it cant be purchased in any other County?.
Must admit I've had a look around Deli's in this area & in Morrisons, Asda's etc, & have yet to find any.

I asked the lady behind the deli in Waitrose if she had any quite strong blue and she called security.

Back