• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What do you miss?

DTS

The Business
Was on the phone to my old man last night and we were talking about this new division. Basically we are both enjoying going to new state of the art stadiums, big crowds and big name players but part of me does miss the bottom division.

So I am here to start a list of things that were good about those mainly dark days.

1) Taking over a pub/ town.

So far at Palace, QPR and Leicester there has not really been an away fans pub. I remember going to places like Macclesfield with Smiffy and crew, Darlington & Rusden with Seb Wettabix and his boys and really taking over a place with loads of blues around.

Thats seems to have largely gone and I really miss it.

Please feel free to add more if you miss anything about the fourth.

The fans, there wern't as many fans always raving about how "massive" their club is and how it should be in the premiership.
Also they were just generally more friendly.

Being able to turn up at the west ticket office with 3 minutes to go 'till kick-off, buy a ticket and be in my seat before the game started!

I'll echo Hazey's comments about fans as well (apart from Grimsby's)

Not having to worry whether the Seaso's will buy all the away tickets

Buying a ticket for the East blacks and laughing when the steward pointed you in the direction of the seat whilst looking at vast swathes of empty seatness..
The taking over a pub bit will now have to wait untill F.A. Cup games against the like of Billericay

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFCHUTTON @ Sep. 01 2006,15:24)]Not having to worry whether the Seaso's will buy all the away tickets
Not having to worry that there's not enough away tickets for seaso's
tounge.gif

The fact that Col******r were in a higher division than us so you could to their place in the cup and STILL beat them.....................................

TWICE!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
love.gif

I know what you mean Dave, although I definitely wouldn't swap back, part of me does miss being a big fish in a small pond and actually being taken seriously by clubs we were playing.

I used to quite enjoy going to all the pokey towns as well, but on the whole, it is tons better being a Shrimper these days, long may it continue.

Fans didn't expect so much. We were a small club in a little league like all the others. We're playing in a position that is, historically-speaking, "above average" at the moment ...

I liked being able to sit in the East Greens. That was nice. I miss those seats, so close to the bar, so close to the food, so close to the tunnel.

*sighs*

I miss going to an away ground and being really close to the pitch where you can give players abuse. The away games I have been to, I have been miles away from the pitch.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (smith southend shrimper @ Sep. 01 2006,15:49)]I miss going to an away ground and being really close to the pitch where you can give players abuse. The away games I have been to, I have been miles away from the pitch.
I do miss the closeness to the action but I don't miss crap terraces, no roofs and horrible toilets, Orient (before it was (kinda) done up) and Chesterfield spring to mind

Having half the West Stand to myself.

being one of a hardcore 200-300 who went to those far away northern away games.

Being able to go for a **** at half time

Being able to leave the pub 10 minutes before kick off and not miss any action

The food at Kidderminster
Being able to stand at away games
Stadiums with characters
Not having to queue/buy tickets in advance
The food elsewhere
Standing at away games
Referees giving occasional decisions in your favour away from home
Tickets for under £20 and being able to stand

When we were in the basement leagues, I always felt the club were aware of the fans and there loyalty. They would have a lot more time for you and would have respect for you. But now it seems that to the club (not players) that we are 'just' fans and the only thing we are good for, is the money we hand over to the club. I dont want this to turn into a thread about who is a more loyal fan etc. Its just that over that past year or so, I have noticed that the club dont seem to appreciate the loyalty of the fans, if it werent for the fans who stuck by the club, when in the basement league, then we would not be where we are today. So that for me is certainly the main thing I miss from the lower leagues and also the food at Kidderminster  
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Sep. 01 2006,17:22)]The food at Kidderminster
Being able to stand at away games
Stadiums with characters
Not having to queue/buy tickets in advance
The food elsewhere
Standing at away games
Referees giving occasional decisions in your favour away from home
Tickets for under £20 and being able to stand