• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Picture please!
Yes I will sort it out , it is in the loft with all my programmes , and like all things in the loft it is right at the back behind a lot of other things , but I will try and get to it this week sometime and put it on here .

Yes I will sort it out , it is in the loft with all my programmes , and like all things in the loft it is right at the back behind a lot of other things , but I will try and get to it this week sometime and put it on here .

That'd be great. Although you've just reminded me that I'm due to sort out our loft. And that's not great.

That'd be great. Although you've just reminded me that I'm due to sort out our loft. And that's not great.
I found it this morning will put it on soon , it has Welham Whelco Tours Ltd on it , it must be over twenty years since I last looked at it , will get my wife to iron it to tidy it up , the Leigh Comm Boot Boys faded a bit but it is readable .

Have you still got your White Butchers coat still.

i did,but a week or so after the away game, we played them at home.Southend fans did not find any Gills here in Southend ,so caused trouble down vic ave then the high st.IT was front page in the echo,pictures ,everything...so my MUM, took it away,never to be seen again...she expected our house to be raided by the sweeney...MOTHERS

Darryl Flahaven's MOM champagne bottle (unopened) sponsored by Cumberland Packaging from the Man United game.

Was given it as a gift for my birthday from one of my friends who rented property from him and his partner. No idea if it really is 'the' bottle but it takes pride on display in my kitchen.

In Dec.1970 when I was coming up to my 21st.Birthday we played a Friday night home match against Scunthorpe(2-2) at that time I had been to every match home & away since Nov. 1966 so the players signed the match ball and gave it to me in the Shrimpers after the game. When Southend won the 4th.Division in the 1980-81 season Derek Spence gave me his No.9 home & away shirts after the Rochdale match when we clinched the Championship. He also gave me the Northern Ireland shirt(No.16) he used at Hampden Park as I had gone to see him play with my late friend Russ Ralph. He came on as a substitute in the match and I believe he was the first International player to play in the British Isle while with Southend for almost 25 years the previous player being Sam McCrory at Wembley in 1957.

I have team photos bought from the old antigues market in shopping centre at Vic circus, buti have a soft spot for the correspondance with the club about the match in Libya in 98 which almost got off the ground..

i did,but a week or so after the away game, we played them at home.Southend fans did not find any Gills here in Southend ,so caused trouble down vic ave then the high st.IT was front page in the echo,pictures ,everything...so my MUM, took it away,never to be seen again...she expected our house to be raided by the sweeney...MOTHERS

I've still got the Evening Echo's report & pics of that night!. Paper's now a off white shade, and there is also a photo of the North Bank on the pitch after the game in front of the Players Tunnel.
In Dec 2012, some of us ' mature in years Leigh Commites', had a reunion before the home V Bradford City. I got loads of copies done of various pics, and distributed them in the Spread eagle, our pre game meet up.

In Dec.1970 when I was coming up to my 21st.Birthday we played a Friday night home match against Scunthorpe(2-2) at that time I had been to every match home & away since Nov. 1966 so the players signed the match ball and gave it to me in the Shrimpers after the game. When Southend won the 4th.Division in the 1980-81 season Derek Spence gave me his No.9 home & away shirts after the Rochdale match when we clinched the Championship. He also gave me the Northern Ireland shirt(No.16) he used at Hampden Park as I had gone to see him play with my late friend Russ Ralph. He came on as a substitute in the match and I believe he was the first International player to play in the British Isle while with Southend for almost 25 years the previous player being Sam McCrory at Wembley in 1957.
B B I know you have your finger on the pulse concerning ex players , do you know what happend to the promotion team of 1971-72 , I know that Joe Jaques and Brian Albeson are dead but what about the others .

Remember the coaches we were on from the old eastern national garage had large poster drawing of a Doc Martin boot with Sufc Pak on them don't know who made them though
I have a Union Jack flag that went to Gillingham on the back of a Leigh Comm coach from 1972 .

As for oldest memorabilia have a couple of rosettes bought for me by my dad mid 60s.From memory used to have scarf /rosette sellers on the Fairfax rd North bank entrance, seemed to be on Fa cup games they appeared(that's when the cup really mean't something)

B B I know you have your finger on the pulse concerning ex players , do you know what happend to the promotion team of 1971-72 , I know that Joe Jaques and Brian Albeson are dead but what about the others .
I will do some research but this is what I know :Bernie Lewis was living in Spain until recently now back in Cardiff his son still lives local.:Dave Elliott/Son both have season tickets at Cardiff City(BB told me this & they still see each other).
:Gary Moore lives in Co Durham.:Peter Taylor lives in Benfleet. :Bill Garner was living in Rochford last year.:Terry Johnson I was told was working at a market stall in Newcastle some time ago(but unconfirmed). Keith Lindsey died a few years back & I spoke to his son at Southend just before Tilly got the Lincoln job(he was acting as caretaker boss). The rest I am always looking to find out although Dennis Booth was still in football last year(but not sure where). King Billy lives on the outskirts of Northampton/Big Gary Moore are the only 2 I am still in contact with.
I am also still in contact with Mike Beesley who left in 1970-71.

I've colected all my tickets and kept them in a scrapbook. Got numerous framed pictures such as the celebrations of promotion at Swansea and a signed one of Freddy scoring against Lincoln. A signed team ball by the 07/08 team if I am correct. Also still got the blue and white neck things that were given out on the Goats last game.

In my loft I have hundreds of Southend United programmes. I started collecting them the season under Dave Smith when we won the 4th division.

I also have a programme from the FA Cup replay away at Liverpool. My dad bought it for me because I was too young to go to the match on a school night.

Back