• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

JAL

Injury Room
What striker would you bring on loan again or new? Young or Older? Or even buy for good? We need a prolific striker!

First I would like to see Barnard (extended run), Layne and the ex-Charlton lad given a tryout.

We should start another thread about needing a striker and not scoring enough goals.

Funny how the majority of people that believed 3 weeks ago we didn't have enough firepower in the squad now consider the savour one of those players they wanted to replace with a loany/signing.

We have enough goals in the squad, just need to be a bit more clinical. I believe our current crop can do that

Can't we get another lad from Big Sam, preferably one who doesn't get injured within 10 minutes? Paul McCallum would score goals at L2 level...

This has all become rather difficult and complicated. By this far into the season one would imagine that we would know our strongest strike force and understand exactly if and how it should be strengthened.............this doesn't seem to be the case. The only thing that is blatantly obvious is that we aren't scoring enough goals. We still don't know whether we need to add someone or whether the solution to the problem is under our very noses........or, at least, up the road at Stevenage.
Normally, your striker is, like Bentley, a fixture on the the team-sheet. Who would have imagined having to think about whether, when fit, we started with Freddy (first period), Benjamin, Angell Crown or Collymore. Yet Corr is not the automatic choice of everyone.....is Weston a striker?........certainly not the first choice of many on here, be it forward or out wide. Will Lee come good for us after his holiday at Stevenage? What about Coulthirst.........is he going to spend the rest of the season warming the bench? (Spurs may not like that). Brown and Layne are clearly deemed 'not ready' by Phil Brown........perhaps they could be a revelation......who knows?
It would appear that Brown, whilst he has full confidence in what we've got, is interested in bringing someone else in..........if he's allowed to (evidence, the fated Lee loan). So, in brief, we don't know whether a change in formation would bring out the best in what we've got or whether another player brought in would fire blanks in the system we play........is that clear??? Over to you Mr Brown.

This has all become rather difficult and complicated. By this far into the season one would imagine that we would know our strongest strike force and understand exactly if and how it should be strengthened.............this doesn't seem to be the case. The only thing that is blatantly obvious is that we aren't scoring enough goals. We still don't know whether we need to add someone or whether the solution to the problem is under our very noses........or, at least, up the road at Stevenage.
Normally, your striker is, like Bentley, a fixture on the the team-sheet. Who would have imagined having to think about whether, when fit, we started with Freddy (first period), Benjamin, Angell Crown or Collymore. Yet Corr is not the automatic choice of everyone.....is Weston a striker?........certainly not the first choice of many on here, be it forward or out wide. Will Lee come good for us after his holiday at Stevenage? What about Coulthirst.........is he going to spend the rest of the season warming the bench? (Spurs may not like that). Brown and Layne are clearly deemed 'not ready' by Phil Brown........perhaps they could be a revelation......who knows?
It would appear that Brown, whilst he has full confidence in what we've got, is interested in bringing someone else in..........if he's allowed to (evidence, the fated Lee loan). So, in brief, we don't know whether a change in formation would bring out the best in what we've got or whether another player brought in would fire blanks in the system we play........is that clear??? Over to you Mr Brown.

Quite clear to me and quite correct. For me the system needs a tinkering but mainly the last ball in the final third needs thinking about. Hurst and Worrall can cross a ball but at present that singles out Corr to be the main recipient, even though DW does well for a shorty, and Corr is far from his best.

DW scored a good goal, keeping the ball on the deck, getting into the box and finishing sweetly against Hartlepool. If DW and KH played more low touches into the box it would be Christmas every game for someone like Barnard.

On that point, we also have the likes of Timlin and Leonard, add to that Clifford, who take too many shots. yes the very occasional one goes in and looks super but if they pushed through into the box more, keeping the ball on the deck and laid it off, we would get more goals.

I assume the players are following the managers instructions and so it is down to him to see that more is made of pressure/possession we have.

Lg 2 is not of the highest order but it is not filled with mugs. Defences are set up well and by and large contains one, if not two, large units in the centre that are generally favourite to win the high cross with only Corr to challenge them. Its meat and drink to the defenders at this level. Play it on the deck and its a different story and for me we have the players that can do just that.

We should start another thread about needing a striker and not scoring enough goals.

Funny how the majority of people that believed 3 weeks ago we didn't have enough firepower in the squad now consider the savour one of those players they wanted to replace with a loany/signing.

We have enough goals in the squad, just need to be a bit more clinical. I believe our current crop can do that

Very true.

Ive said all along its not as simple as just replacing a striker, if Barnard continues on his current form then he has shown that he was never finished no matter what stats people were throwing up about his recent carerer.

Why we dont score more goals is puzzling and just blaming strikers has always been the easiest thing to do, yet going through the BBC report we had 22 shots, most of them werent even taken by strikers, so not sure how "strikers" are to blame.

Maybe its the way we play, maybe its just a lack of belief and confidence. Who knows, if anybody knew the definitive answer it would be easily fixed.

Obviously if we were to sign a goal machine then it would help, but he needs to get the ball first.

Can't we get another lad from Big Sam, preferably one who doesn't get injured within 10 minutes? Paul McCallum would score goals at L2 level...

He has done well while on loan at Wimbledon, Aldershot and Torquay. Out of contract this season too so he will be wanting to impress.

If fit, Uche Ikpeazu from Watford on loan. Brown was said to be interested last season before he went on loan to Crewe. Not played this season at Watford, it seems, so may have long term injury. But if fit would be great at this level. If not then another Brit type player from the ranks at Watford please.

Sorry King S, had not seen your post at the time I did mine. But thanks for the update on the injury situation with Ikpeazu.

Would be very happy with any of Ikpeazu, McCallum or Loza as all three could add real value to the squad. I wonder why we haven't cancelled Coulthirst's loan, must be financial or loan rule complications that are stopping us? He must be on a fair wage and although I think he would've come good with a good run of games, it's obvious Brown has lost faith in him and wants to use him sparingly or not at all.

Back