• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

When did you move out?

He's leaving home....

• 30+ Having it large but pal, you're embarrassing yourself.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MK Shrimper

Striker
So, what with the resurrected Dadzone thread, what age did you fly the family nest?

I was 23, and a mate at the time had a room going spare at their ****** old bedsit in Hackney, and wanting to live the urban, pubbing, clubbing life took the chance. £45 a week for a shoebox, but loved it. Who needed sleep?

You?

I was 26 1/2. Bought a 1 bed flat on Station Road in Westcliff with Mrs Supernaut for £23k! Nice flat, ****-hole of an area to live in, but we loved it and it served us well for 18 months or so until we could afford to move to Leigh.

When I was 22.

Finished my undergraduate, moved home to do my postgraduate in London, did some work and placement in London before getting my first job up in Sheffield when I'd just turned 22 - moved out and rented in Sheffield until we could buy a house when I was 26.

Feb 1987, I was 25, we'd missed out a rung on the ladder and went straight to a 3 bed semi on the new estates over near Asda in Shoebury, cost £21k from memory! Proved to be a struggle to begin with as we'd maxed ourselves out on the mortgage, sofa for the first year or so was a single divan bed with a bolster along one side against the wall plus a couple of cast off armchairs from my grandparents! Turned a very decent profit of £14k on it 5 years later though to move where I still live.

Last edited:
I was 26 1/2. Bought a 1 bed flat on Station Road in Westcliff with Mrs Supernaut for £23k! Nice flat, ****-hole of an area to live in, but we loved it and it served us well for 18 months or so until we could afford to move to Leigh.

Although not my first house, I lived in Grosvenor road for about ten years, had a great time but I'm happy to have moved on. Seems ridiculously cheap now but I paid £60k for a large 6 bed house, which was fire damaged and in a real mess. That was 1998

18, went to study at Manchester University.

It was a massive eye opener. I thought parts of Southend were rough but **** me.

I bailed out at 24 (1975) and got married. All of a sudden 10 bob a week at home seemed incredibly good value.

First time was 19 my first council place, went back home after a year or so, then out again at 21 private renting with a mate. Now have a family so my own place which I moved into at 23. Really was a eye opener the first time around.

I moved out, and out of Southend, when I was 24, and got a job in London. The funny thing was I rented a room off a friend in Mile End. There were four of us in total: three of us working and renting off our live in Landlord who was a) a good friend, and b) still a student! (Yes, he was a student and renting out three rooms of his four bedroom house to working friends of his!)

The first place I owned was a two bed flat in Muswell Hill. I bought it for £60,750 and sold it 3 years later for £120,000. I bought a house in Mill Hill for about £180,000, and sold that about 4 years later (for about £250,000) when I moved in with my now wife.

My mortgage was so small that I managed to pay off my mortgage, my wife's mortgage, her car loan, her personal loan, her credit cards, and her overdraft! Sometimes I wish we had stayed there mortgage free, but we didn't!

First time was 19 my first council place, went back home after a year or so, then out again at 21 private renting with a mate. Now have a family so my own place which I moved into at 23. Really was a eye opener the first time around.

Without wanting to appear too nosey (I really don't want to know detail!), how on earth did you qualify for a council place at 19?! Seems to me that, certainly around here, young people are way down the priority list!

Feb 1987, I was 25, we'd missed out a rung on the ladder and went straight to a 3 bed semi on the new estates over near Asda in Shoebury, cost £21k from memory! Proved to be a struggle to begin with as we'd maxed ourselves out on the mortgage, sofa for the first year or so was a single divan bed with a bolster along one side against the wall plus a couple of cast off armchairs from my grandparents! Turned a very decent profit of £14k on it 5 years later though to move where I still live.

The neighbours were brilliant too.

Married at 24 (1982) bought a flat in Central Southend, moved after 2 1/2 years (with 50% profit on the flat) to a place in Shoebury, The area plummeted in 1987.

All of our kids had moved out before they were 20, 2 went to Uni and didn't move back , the other two got flats. That said they all have been back for a couple of months when in between homes....

When I bought my lovely little ramshackle flat in Stoke Newington, I paid £40K for it. 100% mortgage, roughly about £250 per month. Sold it less than three years later for £100K, ******* the money up the wall travelling and came back broke. :smile:

It's worth nearly £400K now! :stunned:

When I bought my lovely little ramshackle flat in Stoke Newington, I paid £40K for it. 100% mortgage, roughly about £250 per month. Sold it less than three years later for £100K, ******* the money up the wall travelling and came back broke. :smile:

It's worth nearly £400K now! :stunned:

Definitely best not to dwell on that stuff, Kev's mum wanted to buy her mum's little one bed flat off Red Lion Square, near Holborn when the council offered it to her. Her mum wouldn't let her at the time. These flats are now selling for over £1,000,000!!!

Definitely best not to dwell on that stuff, Kev's mum wanted to buy her mum's little one bed flat off Red Lion Square, near Holborn when the council offered it to her. Her mum wouldn't let her at the time. These flats are now selling for over £1,000,000!!!
Similar story here - my mum's folks lived in a maisonette in Paddington, less than a mile from Marble Arch. They were offered the chance to buy it dirt cheap, didn't want to know, so my mum and uncle offered to buy it for them and they flatly refused to let them.

I'd turnt 18 2 weeks prior to finding out I had a sprog on the way so bucked my ideas up got a deposit together and found rented accommodation in shoebury, moved a couple of times since but had to man up really

Back