• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

When will the stadium get underway?

When will it get underway?

• Before the end of the season, infact im expecting some news any day now.

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Between this season and next

Votes: 8 14.8%

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • I dont think it will happen

Votes: 33 61.1%

• Total voters

Tommy2holes

Life President⭐
Given the fact that Ronald has gone awfully quiet all of a sudden having said recently that we were very very close to starting.

When do you think the stadium will get underway?

Do we really beleive that a pizza delivery place is holding up at 80 million pound development?

If it is then someone needs to go in there sit down and thrash out a deal, because if sainsbury's have lent us the money then they are going to want there construction and soon.

Do we really beleive that a pizza delivery place is holding up at 80 million pound development?

If it is then someone needs to go in there sit down and thrash out a deal, because if sainsbury's have lent us the money then they are going to want there construction and soon.

Otherwise our crust will be well and truly stuffed.

Joking apart, there are so many permutations and potential stalling points, the potential for smokescreens is virtually limitless. The pizza place is just one of them. I'm fairly sure (but have no evidence) that there's something more fundamental that's the problem, and suspect it's cashflow. My instintive completely unsubstantiated theory is that the Sainsbury's advance has had to be paid out on something that it was not earmarked for (HMRC) and now we're having to deal with what it was meant for originally without having it to use any more.

Otherwise our crust will be well and truly stuffed.

Joking apart, there are so many permutations and potential stalling points, the potential for smokescreens is virtually limitless. The pizza place is just one of them. I'm fairly sure (but have no evidence) that there's something more fundamental that's the problem, and suspect it's cashflow. My instintive completely unsubstantiated theory is that the Sainsbury's advance has had to be paid out on something that it was not earmarked for (HMRC) and now we're having to deal with what it was meant for originally without having it to use any more.

I think it is the other way round and the pizza place is holding up the cash flow.

I have a horrible Brighton feeling. I suspect we will end up ground sharing and continue with the never reachable start date of the stadium. In the meantime, Roots Hall will turn into Sainsburys so no return there and we will spend years trying to find a new home.
Sorry for the gloomy outlook, but I just can't see it any other way. Really hope I'm wrong and I believe Ron will be doing all he can for a successful outcome for the club.

I'm also of the opinion that this has hit the buffers big style and is doomed

Did i read somewhere that the planning consent (assuming we've been given the latest green light with the slight changes ??) is only for so long and after it expires we will have to apply all over again ??

I'm also of the opinion that this has hit the buffers big style and is doomed

Did i read somewhere that the planning consent (assuming we've been given the latest green light with the slight changes ??) is only for so long and after it expires we will have to apply all over again ??

I don't know much about the planning side of things, but I think time limits run from the time any amendments were approved rather than when they original project was first agreed. I think planning permission can be renewed as well.

If its really only the Pizza place holding things up, and everything else is settled, there is no real harm in offering the Pizza place an 'offer they can't refuse' as there are no other parties holding out that could use what is offered to them as a bargaining chip. Maybe offer them a retail unit on favourable terms at the new development, or just a good amount more than market value. All this hold up for one small shop must have an ever increasing financial impact the longer it goes on. After all, the market value + a bit more must be a drop in the ocean of the hole project cost and the impact of the delays.
For that reason, I also think there is (much?) more to it that just a small pizza shop holding it all up. As already alluded to, I think its financial.
If the club borrow money from the SUSCT to pay off the PFA, then I'm guessing this is a relatively small amount - in the thousands rather than 10s of thousands (could be wrong, but suspect SUSCT resources don't stretch that far) and also the ongoing rumours of late player payments which suggests they are unable to lay their hands readily on reasonable small amounts of funding.

I may be over dramatising, but I suspect the dispute with HMRC is just the tip of the iceberg. My fears would be somewhat suppressed with the start of the stadium.

Last edited:
Still early days on the poll but it would seem optimism is low.

Im sure that somebody from the club monitors this site, maybe even Ron himself. If that is the case im sure an update on the official site maybe even a new blog would appease fears atleast in the short term. I just feel at this moment a little honesty would be greatly received even if it is not the news we had hoped for.

i don't think it would happen and i'm not that bothered either. if it did we would be in terrible debt with a half empty stadium week in week out.

Yeah because we have no debt now do we? :unsure:

funny one aren't you.

i no we have debt now but we have a huge amount more and i don't know about everyone else but i would rather sit in roots hall than a stadium full of empty seats only to be filled when a prem club come down and to be filled with glory hunters who don't even like southend. thats my opinion anyway.

funny one aren't you.

i no we have debt now but we have a huge amount more and i don't know about everyone else but i would rather sit in roots hall than a stadium full of empty seats only to be filled when a prem club come down and to be filled with glory hunters who don't even like southend. thats my opinion anyway.
And i agree MTS

For once Matt i disagree mate. What id rather is we follow swansea and aim high. We have gone way past the point of no return and wether we like it or not the ground is going to be built or we will be ground sharing. Either way we will be leaving roots hall.

If Martin really beleived that there was little or no chance of us ever moving to a new statium, imo you wouldnt see his backside for dust, he would be gone. Martin imo is in this for one reason only, to make money on the building and on the rent he will be getting for the privilege of letting us play there. So while he stays there is still a chance of us moving to FF imo.

i don't think it would happen and i'm not that bothered either. if it did we would be in terrible debt with a half empty stadium week in week out.

Roots Hall has been almost half empty the last two games....

Would you also be happy to know that if we stayed at Roots Hall there would be no investment in the team and that this season would be the kind of season we would have to get used to ?

Back