• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Where did Roots hall get it's name?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (one flew over the cockles nest @ Nov. 10 2004,09:34)]Am I right?
Youre not wrong!
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (one flew over the cockles nest @ Nov. 10 2004,09:34)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Nov. 10 2004,09:27)]Does anyone know?
The big house (which is now flats)that was by the Petrol station. Used to Be Roots Hall?

well I think its something like that

Am I right?
How did the big house come to be known as Roots Hall though ?
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Nov. 10 2004,11:12)]
[b said:
[b said:
The big house (which is now flats)that was by the Petrol station. Used to Be Roots Hall?

Am I right?
tounge.gif
A fortune teller told the builders of the house / manor that in a few hundred years time, a football ground would be built called Roots Hall, so the thought they'd name the place after the ground in advance.

The rest of the time was spent explaining what 'football' is.

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (one flew over the cockles nest @ Nov. 10 2004,08:34)]
[b said:

Am I right?
You're nearly right! The big house next to the petrol station (which is now a vacant site next to the flats) was called Millfields. However there was another big house on the site of the ground called Roots Hall - I think there's a picture of it in the official history book.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimpergarry @ Nov. 10 2004,11:47)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (one flew over the cockles nest @ Nov. 10 2004,08:34)]
[b said:

Am I right?
You're nearly right! The big house next to the petrol station (which is now a vacant site next to the flats) was called Millfields. However there was another big house on the site of the ground called Roots Hall - I think there's a picture of it in the official history book.
ooooh Bamba Jockey Rassclotttsss

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Nov. 10 2004,11:38)]
[b said:
[b said:
[b said:

Am I right?
tounge.gif
A fortune teller told the builders of the house / manor that in a few hundred years time, a football ground would be built called Roots Hall, so the thought they'd name the place after the ground in advance.

rock.gif
That has to be one of the silliest stories ive ever heard .

Football has been known since the dawn of time .

tounge.gif

[b said:
[b said:
[b said:
[b said:

Am I right?
tounge.gif

rock.gif
They explained that it's a thugs game and outlawed, and that nothings changed?
rock.gif
blues.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The 4th man @ Nov. 10 2004,12:36)]
[b said:
[b said:
[b said:
[b said:

Am I right?
tounge.gif

rock.gif
That has to be one of the silliest stories ive ever heard .

Football has been known since the dawn of time .

tounge.gif
There was a form of football in China a couple of thousand years ago, but word travelled slow back in years gone by... plus, I doubt they called it 'football'.

This is NOT a 'silly story' at all. The bloke in the pram shop told me he knows about the fortune teller on good authority from a source he cannot reveal.

mad.gif

Obviously the name comes from years of fantastic stuff on that site.People would refer to it it as the roots of (h)all things wonderful in essex,hence the name roots hall.Now would i tell a lie?
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Nov. 10 2004,12:51)]This is NOT a 'silly story' at all. The bloke in the pram shop told me he knows about the fortune teller on good authority from a source he cannot reveal.

mad.gif
You've blown it now OS. The bloke in the pram shop only tells you stuff if you promise to post it anonymously. He'll never speak to you again..

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Nov. 10 2004,13:49)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Nov. 10 2004,12:51)]This is NOT a 'silly story' at all. The bloke in the pram shop told me he knows about the fortune teller on good authority from a source he cannot reveal.

mad.gif
You've blown it now OS. The bloke in the pram shop only tells you stuff if you promise to post it anonymously. He'll never speak to you again..
Bugger!

sad.gif

Sorry, bloke in the pram shop. Please forgive.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Nov. 10 2004,14:28)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Nov. 10 2004,13:49)]
[b said:

mad.gif
You've blown it now OS. The bloke in the pram shop only tells you stuff if  you promise to post it anonymously. He'll never speak to you again..
Bugger!

sad.gif

Sorry, bloke in the pram shop. Please forgive.
The bloke in the pram shop says watch yore step in future young OS,or he will have to take you for a little ride....

blues.gif

Back