• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Where is Pettifer?

RPG

I am surprissed that Pets has not been in the squad recently especialy as he ws ever present last season.
IMO it would make sence in using him, especialy for certain away matches as he is a better defensivly than JCR / Gower and Cole.
Is he injured?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RPG @ Nov. 29 2005,13:46)]I am surprissed that Pets has not been in the squad recently especialy as he ws ever present last season.
IMO it would make sence in using him, especialy for certain  away matches as he is a better defensivly than JCR / Gower and Cole.
Is he injured?
Sorry, who is Pettifer???

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RPG @ Nov. 29 2005,13:46)]I am surprissed that Pets has not been in the squad recently especialy as he ws ever present last season.
IMO it would make sence in using him, especialy for certain  away matches as he is a better defensivly than JCR / Gower and Cole.
Is he injured?
I think he just isnt effective enough to warrant a game. Done well last season without really excelling.

To small to play centre midfield and too awkward to play wide is my personal opinion. Good engine but that will only get you so far.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper James @ Nov. 29 2005,13:54)]
[b said:
Is he injured?
Sorry, who is Pettifer???

wink.gif
PETTEFER sorry my spelling is ssh!tt.
tounge.gif

Too negative to play on the wing... Runs forward with the ball until someone confronts him, then he acts like a rabbit caugh in headlights, turns around and passes the ball backwards into our own half...

And i'd choose Smith and Bentley over Pettefer to replace Maher to partner Guttridge in midfield at the moment...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (EastStandBlue @ Nov. 29 2005,14:30)]Too negative to play on the wing... Runs forward with the ball until someone confronts him, then he acts like a rabbit caugh in headlights, turns around and passes the ball backwards into our own half...

And i'd choose Smith and Bentley over Pettefer to replace Maher to partner Guttridge in midfield at the moment...
I always used to think that but last night I watched our season review of last season. Pettefer was a crucial part of our season, more than proved by the fact he was the only ever present and was rarely subsituted. Watching it last night I noticed two things:

1) Pettefer was involved in a number of our goals, either with the final ball or by being involved in the build up play.

2) He quite often went round his man and had a good understanding with Juppy, and then Hunt when he came into the side.

Perhaps, seeing as this weekend its the FA Cup, we may try something a little different, perhaps Petts could get a recall to the side along with Smith and Lawson. Thoughts?

Interesting how peoples opinions on Pettefer have swung from clear fans favourite when he was on loan (didn't they bring out a table for him to sign permanently when he had a broken leg) to a player who apparently is crap, when basically the only change is he has been an ever-present in a promotion winning side.

The Carl Pettefer I have been watching rarely gives the ball away, doesn't overplay, uses the ball efficiently, and tackles back fiercely without being reckless. Also, those who doubt his ability to go forward and create should watch the 04/05 DVD. It shocked me how many goals he set up last year with his crossing.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jai @ Nov. 29 2005,14:38)]Interesting how peoples opinions on Pettefer have swung from clear fans favourite when he was on loan (didn't they bring out a table for him to sign permanently when he had a broken leg) to a player who apparently is crap, when basically the only change is he has been an ever-present in a promotion winning side.

The Carl Pettefer I have been watching rarely gives the ball away, doesn't overplay, uses the ball efficiently, and tackles back fiercely without being reckless. Also, those who doubt his ability to go forward and create should watch the 04/05 DVD. It shocked me how many goals he set up last year with his crossing.
Snap!

Its amazing how, after watching the DVD, you notice things differently to how you remember them. For example, I always remembered Hunt as an awful centre midfielder but an extremely handy right back, but watching it back last night, he was an extremely handy right back, and a decent enough central midfielder, who used the ball well.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jai @ Nov. 29 2005,14:38)]Interesting how peoples opinions on Pettefer have swung from clear fans favourite when he was on loan (didn't they bring out a table for him to sign permanently when he had a broken leg) to a player who apparently is crap, when basically the only change is he has been an ever-present in a promotion winning side.

Yep, I came to the same conclusion after watching last season's DVD.

I'd also say that we wouldn't have conceded Barnsley's equaliser or Port Vale's second if Petts had been in the side ahead of JCR.

JCR is currently looking like Tilly's first bad buy (although I hope I'm wrong) - no end product going forward, makes mistakes/goes missing defensively and flits all over the pitch leaving gaps elsewhere.

The improvement after JCR was taken off on Saturday was astounding. We finally had some width down the right which led to a few chances.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Upminster Blue @ Nov. 29 2005,16:56)]JCR is currently looking like Tilly's first bad buy (although I hope I'm wrong) - no end product going forward, makes mistakes/goes missing defensively and flits all over the pitch leaving gaps elsewhere.  
Totally disagree.

I think JCR has been superb - Energy to burn, fast and with purpose, excellent crossing and a nice line in own goals.

Not sure he was shown himself to be a £140k player yet but still a good addition in my eyes
ghostface.gif

I know that JCR is on loan and we are meant to be signing him in January but surely thats not a done deal, from any of the three sides (us JCR or Rotherham).
Correct me if i'm wrong but if Tilly is not impressed enough with JCR he doesn't have to buy him in January?
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Nov. 29 2005,18:00)]I think JCR has been superb - Energy to burn, fast and with purpose, excellent crossing and a nice line in own goals.
I forgot about the og. Another minus for JCR
ghostface.gif

At best the jury is out on JCR.

Considering we've bought so many loan players who turn out to be donkeys when they sign permanently, maybe it's a mixed blessing the jury's still out

At a time when we're struggling to create, I doubt pettefer would be the answer to our current little conundrum we find ourselves in.

i take it boywonder was p%&sed when watching his dvd,pets creating chances,attacking football dont make me laugh.stick to the blue ones mate
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (basildon blue @ Dec. 01 2005,16:55)]i take it boywonder was p%&sed when watching his dvd,pets creating chances,attacking football dont make me laugh.stick to the blue ones mate
biggrin.gif
Have a look at the DVD - you might surprise yourself.

When you've watched the DVD, free to come on here and admit the error of your ways
biggrin.gif

Back