• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Which one player....

...were you most excited about initially but ultimately most disappointed by? I’m talking about the player you saw and thought to yourself “Here we go, this guy is mustard!” only to find out he wasn’t even Lidl sandwich filler.

For me, there are a number of candidates but the one that’s always stood out was Lee Sawyer. What a player he looked in his first few games only to show that he really didn’t have the required attitude to succeed in the game. Still rankles me.

Freedman & Neil Harris were disapointments though they were just milking one more payday before retirement.

Got to be Nile Ranger for me. I had more expectations of that young man than any other new signing if I'm honest. I was just willing him to fulfill his potential and in the beginning he started to look the business. Obviously he wasn't as fit as he should have been but that would come under PB. We'd given him a chance to resurrect his career and he surely wouldn't let it go down the drain again. It's recent enough that we all know how it ended but it still really annoys the hell out of me how someone with his talent could just throw it all away.

Got to be Nile Ranger for me. I had more expectations of that young man than any other new signing if I'm honest. I was just willing him to fulfill his potential and in the beginning he started to look the business. Obviously he wasn't as fit as he should have been but that would come under PB. We'd given him a chance to resurrect his career and he surely wouldn't let it go down the drain again. It's recent enough that we all know how it ended but it still really annoys the hell out of me how someone with his talent could just throw it all away.
Have to agree with this, he was brilliant on his debut, the most exciting player we have had since moshni (On one of his good days).
He even said the right things in interviews and I think many of us. (Myself included) thought maybe just maybe it will be different for him here. Alas we all know what happened next.

Lee sawyer was a good shout to. I remember how gutted many of us were when Chelsea wouldn’t let him play against them- still we didn’t do to bad at their public library ?

Mario Walsh, we PAID Col Ewe for him, they got Super Roy!
He looked the part BUT he was proper pony.

Have to go with Nile Ranger was so hoping he would change and fullfill his potential, Lee Sawyer was another good shout both young and so much potential,Kightly well he was getting on in years and well past his prime,just a bad signing in my book sorry,same as freeman and harris, you could also say the same for Barnard and Freddy mark2.

Nile Ranger is a embarrassment to the recent history of this club. He’s a massive wrongon and plenty on here warned against him.
He will end up back in gaol and it’s not a if it’s when.
I seriously questioned my support when we signed him.

Collymore disappointed me so much.
I used to come away thinking apart from your mazey runs , brilliant link play , superb goals and general feeling of excitement every time you got the ball , you contribute nothing to this team !

Trevor Fitzpatrick, James Lawson, Johnny Herd looked like they would make it initially , as did Nappers favourite , Declan Perkins

Richie Hanlon , Stephen Broad and Andy Harris came with a great pedigree but didn't push on with us

Mark Salter had an amazing non league goal scoring record but couldn't transfer it to the pro game

On the other hand , my mate had Stan Collymore down as a donkey for about 10 minutes......

Controversial and will upset one member no doubt but Anthony Wordsworth.

Had so much potential and all the skills to be a class player but just went missing in way too many games.

Steve Clarke - he had pace to burn and i remember on a few occasions thinking this boy was the real deal , i think i saw him score his only goal which was a Mazey dribble past a few players ( IIRC).
clearly back in 2003 we had some dross players and anything remotely promising we/i hung onto thinking he will drag us out of Div 4 obscurity .

unfortunately he wasn't the player to do so !

Dieng is the most recent I can think of. Has all the physical attributes you need to be a good player but doesn't seem to have the stomach for it. Hopefully he can kick on and put a bad first season behind him.

Conor Clifford is another one. Looked fantastic on YouTube and occasionally showed it on the pitch but I always got the feeling we never saw what he could really do.

After Jamar Loza's debut I said 'Wow, if only we could sign him', at the end of his loan period it's fair to say my opinion had changed.

Back