• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who are the real fans?

1086 at home to Halifax ...they (and the 37 away at Swansea in the LDV) are the true fans...........

To me it doesn't matter how often you attend, if you single out a southend player for abuse before he has hardly kicked a ball in that particular game then you don't desrve to be called a fan.

For my mind if you think of Southend as your first team then you are a fan as good as any other. I dont care if you live in Malta, Xabia or wherever - If you still cheer Southend when you see a win or feel a bit sad when we get beat then thats good enough for me.

For my mind if you think of Southend as your first team then you are a fan as good as any other. I dont care if you live in Malta, Xabia or wherever - If you still cheer Southend when you see a win or feel a bit sad when we get beat then thats good enough for me.

Indeed if Southend is in your heart thats all that counts!

I love the club with a passion. I'd never follow anyone else now. Once a blue forever a blue. I've not been to that many games, but I go to the ones I can. I think, so long as you stick by the club through thick-and-thin and don't abuse the players within 5 minutes of being here, and you cheer the team on, wherever they are in the league, or whichever league they are in, is all that matters. Doesn't matter if you can't go to the away matches, but I certainly will try to get to a few when I'm older. To me, you don't have to go to any matches to be a fan, because not everyone can make it to matches, but as long as it's in your heart and you stick through it thick-and-thin, I think you deserve to be called fans.

If you feel something inside when something happens with the blues, it must be good.

Just my little bit.

Is there an inherent snobbery in being a fan?

How many games do you have to go to? Are you a true fan if you only go to home games? What about friendlies and cup games?

It just seems that some posters on here have a bit of a superiority complex and want to have a go about the new fans.

What do you think?

For the record this season: Wet Sham, Vitesse Arnhem, Watford, D&R, Gillingham, Doncaster.

Sod off and come back when you've made more than 10 posts. Snobbery indeed. :D :D

If you class yourself as a fan of SUFC then for my mind you are one. Anyone that posts on here (as a shrimpers fan) most definately is a fan.

If you don't have a photo montage of Phil Gridelet, Julian Hails, Nicky Nicolau, Chris Ramsay and Shane Westley tatooed on your back then you're not a fan in my book.

I think only those people who cracked a Terry Alderton joke at Alison Moyet whilst at Vic Jobson's wake are true fans.

I was brought up as an Arsenal fan just like the rest the of my family, I went to 3 games in total and always followed southend as a second team. 5 seasons ago i went to my first game and went to a few games from then and was hooked, this is my second season as a southend season ticket holder, i now regard myself as an southend fan to the annoyance of my family. The fact that I haven't been a Southend fan since i was born, does that make me any less of a fan, i hope not.

Last edited:
I was brought up as an Arsenal fan just like the rest the of my family, I went to 3 games in total and always followed southend as a second team. 5 seasons ago i went to my first game and went to a few games from then and was hooked, this is my second season as a southend season ticket holder, i now regard myself as an arsenal fan to the annoyance of my family. The fact that I haven't been born a Southend fan since i was born, does that make me any less of a fan, i hope not.

Erm..... retype required here, Josh... ;)

In my book:

- Never miss a game against Orient or Col U.
- Make sure you've been to at least one away game
- 70% of your games watched this season have to have been competitive
- 51% of the competitive games watched have to have been in the league.
- You have to have seen a game involving a non-Foreign club that are at least 100 miles away but do not begin with the letter 'D'.

Once you've done al them, you're a true fan. If not.....

Does watching the Col Ewe away game in League One on the big screen count?

As long as you viewed the screen at an angle of no more than 23.8% from perpendicular. A true fan would have shoved to get to a maximum of 9.7% but 23.8% makes you a fan.

Also, obviously, the screen had to be at least 10m from corner to corner.

It is a topic that is as old as the hills - and one which, at the risk of sounding a curmudgeonly old fart, assumes even greater importance if you're under-16... where one's loyalty can only be measured by the length of time you've stood in the West stand X-block, sung "loyal supporters" and dished out abuse to the visiting fans.

For me, if you're on this site, talking about the Shrimpers and thinking about SUFC with a song in your heart (because we won at the weekend), then that's good enough for me.

:D

Couldnt agree more with what matt says here, some people as we all know dont get to see southend at all during the season, doesnt mean they dont love the club as much as a seaso who goes home and away, just means sometimes football might not always be first priority on a weekend...well not always:) :)

Last edited:
Back