• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who should our left back be?

• Total voters

Tangled up in Blue

Certified Senior Citizen⭐
Who should be playing at left back for us in the current squad and why?
Personally, I'd opt for Johnny Herd since he's a product of our youth team and I don't believe PS has given him a fair crack of the whip as first choice in the side.

Gilbert, because Barker's needed at CB. Ideally, I'd like Barker at LB with Phillips and Mohsni together in the centre, but that doesn't look feasible at the moment.

Anyone but Herd. I'm amazed he's played as often as he has in his career, he's nowhere near good enough. People look at him favourably because of THAT throw at Chelsea, and through good will because we've not had a good youth player in ages. But the latter point is negated as we now have Ferdinand, who is up to standard, so there's no reason for any calls to bring Herd into the side. He's small, lightweight, has terrible positioning and isn't particularly good on the ball.

Gilbert, because Barker's needed at CB. Ideally, I'd like Barker at LB with Phillips and Mohsni together in the centre, but that doesn't look feasible at the moment.

Agreed. I'd be much happier with Barker at left back but our other centre half options don't seem to be able to stay fit for long enough.

We need to bring in a CB on loan. Especially with Bilel set to miss out for a while.

Gilbert or Herd don't do it for me personally.

I would like to see Barker back at LB, with a tall commanding CB filling in. But with Bilel's injury, I think we will have to stick with Gilbert for the time being.

Last edited:
Agree with Smiffy. Herd concerns me more than any other player when he's on; His positioning is terrible.

Isn't Comminges supposed to be able to play at the back?

Agree with Smiffy. Herd concerns me more than any other player when he's on; His positioning is terrible.

Isn't Comminges supposed to be able to play at the back?

He played there at Grays for reserves, without looking either great or awful.

Ideally, it would be Bilel and either Coughlan or Phillips at CB, and Barker at LB.

I can't help feeling concerned that a CB pairing of Coughlan and Phillips, with Barker at LB, would be as slow as molasses. That said, not sure we've got anyone quick waiting in the wings...

Anyone but Herd. Having said that, I too, think Barker is needed in the middle at the mo and that he is getting a leetle too slow to play full back.

Agree with the general consensus, Gilbert at the moment. In an ideal world where we have no injuries Mohsni & Phillips CB's & Barker LB.

Gilbert for me seems to be improving with every match. To date he is not great but not the liability he once seemed. Adequate. Barker is immense in his role of CB. Think Herd should play further forward on the left but in the reserves to see if that position suits.

Id say Gilbert.

Youths have Teddy Nesbitt, really aggressive young left back who is better than Comminges and Herd in my opinion.
Part of the FA Youth cup side which has got to round 5 this year and still going.

I would probably make Herd our 19th choice behind Gilbert, Barker, Comminges, Grant, Clohessy, Hall, Moshni, Philips, Coughlan, Soares, Easton, Ferdinand, Sturrock, Corr, Crawford, Patterson, Morris and Evans.

The Flying Scotsman,

So your not a fan of Herd? What about that 'Throw in'? haha :hilarious:

I thought Herd would really prosper this season but he has struggled. Suprised Tilson didnt come in for him in.

Crumbs you lot are fickle.
I would prefer Herd as he is just as good as Gilbert.
Yes he has a throw in, so what? Does Gilbert?
All round a better player than Gilbert IMHO & Barker would get blasted past by a fast winger if he was LB.
It is sad he isn't playing more & can't even get in the reserve game today!?!

got to be Gilbert at the moment. Herd by all accounts hasn't impressed when he's been involved, and Barker brings a lot to the team at CB- I don't think its any coincidence that Moshni has improved so much since playing alongside him.

The Flying Scotsman,

So your not a fan of Herd? What about that 'Throw in'? haha :hilarious:

I thought Herd would really prosper this season but he has struggled. Suprised Tilson didnt come in for him in.

No I'm not. He's been around the first team for a few years so i don't care how old he is now, he has never shown himself to be up to the standard of playing regular first team football. I would have thought it would be better all round if he was released and played for another team. I would imagine it would be someone like Chelmsford or Wakering who would pick him up.

I would rather play Scrounger, who posts on this board, and plays LB for ShrimperZone FC and is one of the best left backs in the sunday league.

Gilbert, but mainly because Herd is nowhere near good enough for League football. Barker is needed in the middle.

Back